Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Magpies Doctor Suspended

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
A doctor will have no great bearing on our team performance next season.

Lose one, get another suitably qualified.

No big deal.

If the team performs badly, the club might need a really good spin-doctor.

We already have the best spin doctor in the country. Bucks!!!

magman29 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:52 am

Having first worked at Melbourne, Bradshaw was then at Richmond from 1991 until 2004 when he headed to London to become head doctor at English Premier League club Fulham.

He returned to Australia two years later and served for nine years as chief medico at Geelong before moving to Collingwood at the end of 2014.

Ah well he wasn"t at Collingwood at 2012
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:08 pm

Given the nature of medicine, and the public interest, I wonder whether it is justifiable that the reason for a reprimand should be kept confidential. Perhaps it just pending appeal.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Given the nature of medicine, and the public interest, I wonder whether it is justifiable that the reason for a reprimand should be kept confidential. Perhaps it just pending appeal.

I wonder if it's common for reprimands & suspensions to happen five years after the incident. It seems a long time, but I guess if it's the result of a complaint, it all depends on when the complaint is made.

Matthew Egan was injured just before the 2007 finals, and launched a lawsuit against Bradshaw (& a surgeon) in 2015, so I guess such things can take time. (A court lawsuit and a medical board complaint are not the same thing, of course.)

That lawsuit was settled out of court. Egan's lawsuit claimed negligence; the defence counter-claimed negligence on Egan's part, including dancing on the players' Bali holiday afterwards...
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:04 am

$£$%^%%$ Geeeeefrickenlong. Bastards.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:40 am

No big deal really. While we don't know the reasons behind the suspension of his licence, doctors do get deregistered for the slightest of reasons and then there usually follows a lengthy appeal process. Reid at Essendon would have been automatically deregistered as a medical practiciner if he had been implicated in the Essendon supplements program, so it's not so unusual for doctors to lose their licence and then at some point to get it back.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:25 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
No big deal really. While we don't know the reasons behind the suspension of his licence, doctors do get deregistered for the slightest of reasons and then there usually follows a lengthy appeal process. Reid at Essendon would have been automatically deregistered as a medical practiciner if he had been implicated in the Essendon supplements program, so it's not so unusual for doctors to lose their licence and then at some point to get it back.

That's not correct.

Reid was implicated as he was charged by the AFL with bringing the game into disrepute, but he was not deregistered.

The AFL pleaded with him to accept a suspension but he refused. Instead, he sued the AFL in the Supreme Court which ultimately caused the AFL to back down.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:01 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:

That's not correct.

Reid was implicated as he was charged by the AFL with bringing the game into disrepute, but he was not deregistered.

The AFL pleaded with him to accept a suspension but he refused. Instead, he sued the AFL in the Supreme Court which ultimately caused the AFL to back down.

Now that we're discussing it, I find it strange, actually. The AHPRA, which would have been the agency responsible for medical action against Reid such as deregistration, independent of whatever the AFL did, doesn't seem to have done anything.

The AFL may or may not have come to effectively an out-of-court settlement with Reid: He took a three-month leave and the AFL refused to either confirm or deny that it was an informal punishment. But that is all irrelevant to what the AHPRA could or should have done.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:07 pm

K wrote:

That's not correct.

Now that we're discussing it, I find it strange, actually. The AHPRA, which would have been the agency responsible for medical action against Reid such as deregistration, independent of whatever the AFL did, doesn't seem to have done anything.

The AFL may or may not have come to effectively an out-of-court settlement with Reid: He took a three-month leave and the AFL refused to either confirm or deny that it was an informal punishment. But that is all irrelevant to what the AHPRA could or should have done.

I assume that no action was taken as Reid did nothing wrong. He did not devise the program or supervise it. My recollection is that he had nothing to do with it, apart from being outspokenly against it.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:01 am

K wrote:

That's not correct.

I assume that no action was taken as Reid did nothing wrong. He did not devise the program or supervise it. My recollection is that he had nothing to do with it, apart from being outspokenly against it.

Yeah, I guess so...
Though it is mandatory for medical professionals to report medical misconduct by others, so failure to report may have been another thing the AHPRA could/should have investigated (Reid's rather feeble protest letters to others at the club being evidence he was aware).
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:09 pm

Bradshaw's status listed on the AHPRA's website is still unchanged.
Meanwhile, it seems Ruben Branson has recently(?) joined the staff as a club doctor. I don't think he was there last season, right?
He's actually a known quantity, having been with us in the years up to and including the premiership year.

[Bradshaw's status still suspended as of 6/4/18.]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: