Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Safe injecting room to happen in North Richmond (Victoria)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:08 pm
Post subject: Safe injecting room to happen in North Richmond (Victoria)Reply with quote

Congratulations again to the Andrews Goverment.

Safe injecting room to happen in North Richmond (Victoria). A two year trial to occur.

Following the success of about 15 years in Sidanee of a safe injecting room this is going to occur finally in Victoria.

This is supported by:

1. Police
2. The AMA
3. Ambulance services
4. Jeff Kennett
5. Drug & alcohol workers, doctors, nurses, researchers & policy makers: experts.
6. Anyone with at least half a brain

After voluntary euthenasia now safe injecting rooms Andrews has shown courage & leadership. Well done him.

Additional:

This is being done with added millions for drug & alcohol rehabilitation - which is so underfunded & there are so few of them it is a shameful refelction on all governments past.

Last edited by watt price tully on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Half a dozen.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:16 pm

Excellent news. Sometimes all you need is a government with a bit of courage and ability to look ahead. Lets hope that, as expected, it improves the well-being of addicts, gives them the help they need and saves lives.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:10 pm

David wrote:
Excellent news. Sometimes all you need is a government with a bit of courage and ability to look ahead. Lets hope that, as expected, it improves the well-being of addicts, gives them the help they need and saves lives.

Talk about tragic timing, as they were making the announcement, a woman nearby had overdosed.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/trial-of-north-richmond-safe-injecting-room-to-begin-by-middle-of-next-year-20171030-gzbfxb.html

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:24 pm

Good news, paramedics can hopefully then get & tend to patients with life threatening illnesses a lot faster, instead of being tied up with addicts.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:52 pm

luvdids wrote:
Good news, paramedics can hopefully then get & tend to patients with life threatening illnesses a lot faster, instead of being tied up with addicts.

Addicts are people with life threatening conditions at times as well. Addicted people will then get the help they need & not be found dead or semi comatosed.

Heroin users are genenally fine in terms of their behaviour because they are generally chilled & relatively sedate. Methamphetmaine (Ice) users are often paranoid and secondary to their paranoia they can be very aggressive because often they think they are at risk of impending if not imminent harm by others.

The other part of the equation is that used needles won't be strewn hither & tither as much as they are in certain parts of town.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:47 pm

I applaud the announcement.
I'll applaud it more when, and if, we see the "TOUGHER laws allowing police to tackle large-scale heroin trafficking" put into action.
Help the addict, screw over the dealer.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:59 pm

watt price tully wrote:
luvdids wrote:

Addicts are people with life threatening conditions at times as well. Addicted people will then get the help they need & not be found dead or semi comatosed.

Heroin users are genenally fine in terms of their behaviour because they are generally chilled & relatively sedate. Methamphetmaine (Ice) users are often paranoid and secondary to their paranoia they can be very aggressive because often they think they are at risk of impending if not imminent harm by others.

The other part of the equation is that used needles won't be strewn hither & tither as much as they are in certain parts of town.

Yep, I understand the highlighted part (well, I understand all of it but am referring now to the highlighted part). Let me put it this way - if a friend or relative of mine was having a heart attack & died because the ambulances were busy with people overdosing & therefore couldn't get to them in time... I'd be furious! And I'm sure I'm not on my own.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:10 pm

I think this is probably the right thing to do, but I am nowhere near as certain that it will end well. The progressive normalization of drug use across our society has been the cultural change which underpins so much of the addiction and destruction of humanity we now see. This may well be net positive for current addicts but the creator of many more. Lots of things that look good on the surface cause much harm. The terminology is even interesting : not hospitalization for the ill, rather safe injecting rooms because, you know, heroin can be safe. Children pick up these messages very fluently. And how can you punish dealers very severely when their product is managed by the state via safe facilities ?

Last edited by Mugwump on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:27 pm

I don't know a lot about the detail, so I won't jump to conclusions.

If it's a space where addicts can shoot up without fear of prosecution, have access to clean needles and a way to safely dispose of them, have access to support services and dealers get jumped on hard, It might work.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:15 pm

watt price tully wrote:

Ice wont be allowed.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/10/31/plans-melbournes-safe-injecting-room

Also doesn't say if any supervision will be available (in case of trouble or where medical assistance is needed)

Your last line, i went to the Loo outside the Richmond Epworth last friday, one of those fancy push button door ones, and there were used needles all over the floor, many uncapped. bloody scary if you had a toddler or your dog with you.

im sure Mugwump or David could find the success/failure figures for overseas projects faster than me, be interested to read it.

Stui the link also mentions a big increase in recovery places and funding, and supposedly tougher penalties for traffickers, ill believe that when i see it!

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:23 am

Having lost a Brother, good friends to Heroin overdoses I am all for it. If we can save just one family from losing a loved one and the associated trauma and heartache my family and I had to endure then it has to be for the good. In the process of supervised injecting we can reach out to people and hopefully help them. People use Heroin to escape their lives and many have mental issues which we don't treat as we don't spend money on mental health. We would rather spend money on a survey that is non binding.

In saying that, this will not solve any issue but it will clean up Richmond. Richmond was one of the areas my Brother used to go to score and I am talking back prior to 1996. What the naysayers don't acknowledge is nothing has changed in decades. Oh sorry, yes there has been changes. It's easier to obtain, the cost is cheaper and the quality is a lot better.

I have been listening to the radio and the many heartless people just say, 'let them die, it's illegal drugs". I just shake my head.

I saved my Brother on three occasions from an overdose. Each time after he received Narcan and came out of where he was, I copped abuse because I killed his dream. He got off Heroin for a few years and then emotional issues came back and he got back back on and at the time He was living with my Mother and went out and scored. This time the grade of the Heroin he used was stronger. He took his normal dose with his drug addicted pregnant girl friend. He overdosed, his girl friend saw this and she just sat out in the lounge room. My Mum went into his room for some reason and he was dead. My Mum died of Cancer three months later. They say it was the shock of finding her Son dead. His girl friend had the baby and a few months later she died of a drug overdose and now the Grand Parents at the time had to become Parents again. My Niece who I have met only once is going OK and I keep in touch.

What I am trying to say, is the death of anyone has wider ramifications and my story is just one example. We have to try something, what we have been doing simply doesn't and hasn't worked.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:46 am

Oh man thats so heart breaking to read. Cheers mate, I just cant imagine.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:22 am

It certainly won't hurt to give this a go and there is reason to be confident it will save some lives. Culprit's post clearly shows why we must at least try.

We don't need to be troubled about the prospect that a safe injecting facility will somehow legitimise the use of illegal drugs - I am reasonably confident that "get hooked on heroin and die" is still not generally considered to be a viable lifestyle choice amongst young people.

I am concerned, though, that this deals (albeit necessarily) with the symptom, rather than the underlying issues and that there wasn't an announcement of a corresponding effort directed at the causes. It would be helpful if, as a society, we put much more time, effort and money into assisting people with the difficulties they experience as a consequence of mental illness and, let's face it, the pervasive economic and social impacts of increasingly limited life choices for kids who are not gifted, "well-balanced" and near-perfect.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:52 am

That is a tragedy, Culprit, and I am very sorry it happened. While I have lost friends to drugs, no-one so close. It is a terrible scourge. I am prepared, as I said, to give this a try, though I still feel that the best way to prevent drug use is the power of the law. As we normalise drugs in almost every class, from semi-official police tolerance of dope, to showbiz and rock stars publicly doing cocaine without sanction, to "safe" injecting rooms, I fear that the rate of addiction will continue to rise. The more available it becomes through decriminalisation, the more vulnerable young people will come across it and be tempted to use it - always believing, with the invincibility of youth, that there is a way back.

I hate the human and social costs of criminalisation - but I suspect it keeps a leaky, fuming lid on something which is probably far worse.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: