Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2017 early season selection policy?????

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:37 pm
Post subject: 2017 early season selection policy?????Reply with quote

why did we start season 2017 with so many [players in the team who by season's end were simply delisted.

was bucks trying to motivate the A team by making them earn their spot. or was the culture a bit screwed up?

Or was Buckley taking a long term view and trying to see if some of these players like Schade, Smith and Ramsey were made of the right stuff?

interesting stuff.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:44 pm
Post subject: Re: 2017 early season selection policy?????Reply with quote

E wrote:
why did we start season 2017 with so many players in the team who by season's end were simply delisted.

was bucks trying to motivate the A team by making them earn their spot. or was the culture a bit screwed up?

Or was Buckley taking a long term view and trying to see if some of these players like Schade, Smith and Ramsey were made of the right stuff?

interesting stuff.

Or was the selection committee completely confused?
(I'm not voting for this option --- just making the list a little more complete.)
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:03 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I just don't think the match committee knew what our best side was. Most sides evolve throughout the year. Although not cut and dried, we head into 2018 with a much better idea of our best 22.

Also, AFL footy is at its hottest round 1, by round 23 a lot of players are carrying niggles etc so it is no coincidence that our Daicos and Kirby were brought in towards end of year.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:36 pm

In fairness, Elliot, Langdon, DeGoey, Wells and scharenberg simply weren't ready from round one. I have heard two conflicting stories as to why Dunn didn't start in the first round and neither story was connected to him not being good enough.
When these guys finally got on the park, they were permanent fixtures ( Shazza aside ). That's six already who had to be replaced for the first few games at least ( and who knows what we would have got from Wills with a full preseason )
By extension, finishing the 2017 season without any major surgeries in the off season, is a win in itself.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:00 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
In fairness, Elliot, Langdon, DeGoey, Wells and scharenberg simply weren't ready from round one. I have heard two conflicting stories as to why Dunn didn't start in the first round and neither story was connected to him not being good enough.
When these guys finally got on the park, they were permanent fixtures ( Shazza aside ). That's six already who had to be replaced for the first few games at least ( and who knows what we would have got from Wills with a full preseason )
By extension, finishing the 2017 season without any major surgeries in the off season, is a win in itself.

With regard to Dunn, he was clearly the superior player to Schade in the preseason, so it's completely mystifying to me why Schade was preferred to Dunn in the first few games of the main season. Of the others, De Goey was suspended by the club and Wells, Scharenberg and Langdon were unfit. Didn't Elliot play the first game - I can't remember seeing him line up for the VFL.
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:29 pm

Simple.. we have a history of over-rating our players, and / or what the coaches think they can get out of them.

Blair is still being over-rated... as is Smith and Greenwood.

In the recent past it's also been Gault, Macaffer, Cloke, Jesse White, Broomhead, Aish, Oxley, Ramsay, Keefe and even Scharenberg. All have come up short, whilst Bucks has openly stated that he already had the players to win another flag, it was just fitness and growth that he needed to fulfill our supposed potential. He and the club have continually been proven to be overly optimistic and self confident in regards to our list strength and coaching expertise.

Let's hope it turns around, and quickly.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:50 pm

The past is the past so I would expect things to be different in 2018 in regards to selection.
The last 6 or so games in 2017 we showed enough to make me believe we have the basis of a decent side. This was a side missing Pendles, Wells, Varcoe, Grundy all of whom would be automatic selections in our starting 18.
The coaches showed (finally) he wasn't scared to roll the dice on moving players around (think the starting of Maynard in the centre Grundy at FF whilst Cox started ruck) all of these moves unsettled the opposition and actually worked in our favour.
For me 2018 needs to be a year were the coach is adaptable both at the selection table and during the course of a game.
For mine our best 22 for week 1 assuming everyone is fit and ready to go would be

B. Crisp. Dunn. Howe
HB. Scharenberg. Moore. Murray
C. Wells. Varcoe. Treloar.
HF. Elliott. Reid. WHE
F. Sidey. Grundy. Pendles
R. Cox. Adams. Mayanrd
Int. Broomhead. JDG. Goldie. Phillips
Emg. Langdon. Daicos. Brown. Kirby

We need to have quick and precise ball movement so using Wells Varcoe Trelaor through the middle is a no brainer. Murray gives us the speed we need off the HBF. Moore starts at CHB giving him the freedom to get up the ground and become dangerous going the other way.
Pendles Sidey start on the forward line and can rotate through the middle as required.
Goldie is cover for a forward or back mid tall who might go down the other 3 on the bench can continue our running potential so we can be constantly stretching sides running capabilities
Pendles and Sidey forward along with Elliott gives us 3 really clever players who can all find the goals. WHE plays the high half forward role and Grundy & Reid can interchange between playing deep or up the ground. When Cox needs a spell he can split his time between the pine and FF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: