Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2018 Draw

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s irrelevant. There is a one week break after round 23 before finals, if we make finals.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:13 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
It’s irrelevant. There is a one week break after round 23 before finals, if we make finals.

Hmmm.... the one-week break. More evidence that the AFL is evil.
(But good for mediocre teams ---and those travelling interstate in the last round.)
E 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:15 am

AnthonyC wrote:
derkd wrote:
Culprit wrote:
The Draw is irrelevant if you lose games that you should win.

Very well said, thing that has always annoyed me about this time of year is fans winging and moaning about the draw.

It comes down to your team......If the side is hopeless, well they could put us in the VFL and we would still finish bottom 4.....we get what we deserve.

Do you think the great Hawthorn side or Brisbane in the early 2000's or for that matter the Pies of 2011 complained about the draw?....no way they just rocked up and ripped apart who ever they faced, where ever it was.

Some people also need to use a little forward thinking.....this complaining that öh Richmond only face x side that was in the top 8 2017 x many times is ridiculous"

My answer is ....... the side that are top.8 of 2017 are not going to be the same sides of 2018 ....some side fall away and will become the easy beats (not the band) of 2018. While some of the bottom 8 will become far stronger. By this logic if the AFL gave Richmond 2 games against each of this years top 8, next year some on here would be back complaining that Richmond got to play the "easy"teams of 2018 somehow and it is all "rigged".

At the end of the day it simply comes back to the original point that Culprit made.....if your team is freaking any good....your draw is meaningless as you don't care who you play, or when you play them, as they hold no fear.

Like i say in 2018 we get what we deserve. dish up garbage performances and we get garbage results ah la our match against Carlton round 7 this year.

That sounds like the same logic that 'percentage doesn't count'.

It simply isn't true, because it does, just ask melbourne supporters.

I agree with the sentiment but a good draw can be the difference, otherwise there'd be no discussion around an 'easy' or 'tough' draw.

percentage doesn't matter. It is a proven fact. It might help a team who is irrelevant make the finals (as in the case of Melbourne), but it doesn't matter!!! you are focused on the wrong things.

Thats why you also miss the point of the last post that the draw doesnt "matter". A team that is good enough gets an easy draw EVERY year because they have many winnable games regardless of the draw. It helps medicre teams win more games, but that doesnt "matter"

In the business of winning flags (which is all that MATTERS), the draw doesn't matter and percentage doesn't matter!!!!!!

its not hard. why are you finding it so difficult.

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:50 am

Mr Elite Midfield, apologies for baiting you.

I don't find it difficult, I just disagree, although being right can be a burden. Wink

Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:18 pm

On most occasions a teams percentage ends up not mattering. Case in point Buckley constantly highlighting honourable losses, but if you come 13th it is completely meaningless because you have won enough games because you are not good enough. Of the first 6 games, only one team finished below us this year and we have the grand finalists, GWS, Hawthorn and Essendon who look a tough match up for pace. We are going in with a very similar team to the one that finished 13th expecting a completely different result. Definition of inanisty?
E 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:56 pm

AnthonyC wrote:
Mr Elite Midfield, apologies for baiting you.

I don't find it difficult, I just disagree, although being right can be a burden. Wink

Its a burden that i bear every single day my friend. I think its appropriate from time to time to remind everyone of just how unimportant percentage is. So i thank you.

Richmond thanks you too. Especially since all the punters were giving them a hard time for having a shitty percentage all year! They said it was holding them back. Richmond kept saying it didn't matter.......

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Can anybody explain to me WHY these intellectual wastelands at AFL house simply can't program the fixture so that every team plays each other once by the conclusion of round 17, THEN perhaps start the duplicate rounds?

F&ck me; it can't be that hard can it?

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:51 pm

piedys wrote:
Can anybody explain to me WHY these intellectual wastelands at AFL house simply can't program the fixture so that every team plays each other once by the conclusion of round 17, THEN perhaps start the duplicate rounds?

F&ck me; it can't be that hard can it?

piedys it should be that simple! But these know it all, factor in probable attendences, grounds, time of the week and they come up with a crap fixture like last year we just have to take it on the chin as fair as unfair as it is. Still you gotta love KB nominating our draw as Hell! ............. Smile
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:03 pm

Gees, good luck arguing that percentage doesn't count (even though that is one of only two criteria that make up ladder position) and then passing yourself off as an intellectual. If you can sell that spin you could make a Motza selling ice to Eskimo's.
E 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:04 pm

Adam Treloar 3 Votes wrote:
Gees, good luck arguing that percentage doesn't count (even though that is one of only two criteria that make up ladder position) and then passing yourself off as an intellectual. If you can sell that spin you could make a Motza selling ice to Eskimo's.

i never said it doesn't count. People "count" it all the time. I said it doesn't matter! In order to understand, you need to know the difference.

I also never said that it has never mattered. Under the crappy final 6 systems that we experimented with in the 90s, percentage mattered a lot because premiership caliber teams sometimes found themselves in awkward situations that didnt work out well for them (solely due to percentage). I think Collingwood in 1992 is a classic example.

My point is simply that winning the flag is all that matters. if you are good enough to win the flag there are now 4 spots that give you a double chance and an easy run. If you come good and need to make a charge from the back of the pack, there are another 4 spots (and the weeks rest makes it something you can do).

The only two places where percentage might be thought to matter are getting/missing top 4 and getting/missing spot in the 8.

If you are relying on percentage to make the 8 you have ABSOLUTELY zero chance to win the flag. doggies won from way down the ladder, but if memory serves me correct, they qualified for the finals by about 3 games. So it turns out that percentage doesn't "matter" when it comes to making the 8.

If you are good enough to deserve a double chance, there are 4 Frickin spots. If it comes down to percentage, you arent good enough to deserve the double chance. If you are nonetheless good enough to win the flag (like the doggies), you will win it anyway. So it turns out that percentage doesn't "matter" when it comes to making the 8.

Finally, since i know this kind of thinking intimidates you into making up labels like "intellectual", while percentage determines various ladder positions, might have an impact on draws, draft standing and other things, it simply doesn't "matter" to the issue of winning flags anymore.

if you disagree, first find a season in the last 10 when the winner didn't deserve to win the flag and then show me how the outcome would have changed based solely on percentage.

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:31 pm

You are friggin KIDDING me!
We finished THIRTEENTH!
Not third, not 6th, not 4th
THIRTEENTH!!!!!
JUST like last year, and every year for the last 12, we get screwed time & time again & we say its fine, we're so good we can run uphill all season!

ONCE AGAIN, we get BOTH grand finalists in the first 6 - (the 8 is pretty much set by Rd.7), Plus we get GWS who finished 3rd, Hawthorn, who we've beaten ONCE in Suckleys 6 years, then Carlton & Essendon.

How many wins did we get against this lot last year?

out of 8 games?

ONE!

And this is a GOOD draw?

Every year! Every frickin year! And why? Because we politely unbutton, drop trow, and bend over!

EVERY (*&^%^& TIME!!!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:50 pm

I love that avatar picture of you and McKenna.
Looks great. How great was Mckenna. Absolute champion.
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:46 pm

^ E

Wow I see you have been taking lessons in denial from Donald Trump. To quote your earlier post “percentage doesn’t matter. It is a proven fact”.

However, your very next post claims that you never said it doesn’t matter lol.

I am not aware of anyone that has said that percentage is more important than wins. I would think that would be universally agreed.

Percentage is however, the next most important component. It not only determined whether the eagles or Melbourne played finals it also helped to determine every single one of the qualifying/elimination final matchups including where the home qualifying finals would be played. What if the tigers had to play GWS in Sydney instead of MCG? Maybe they win but better than reasonable chance they wouldn’t have. % helped them win a flag.

Yes % matters, it’s really not a hard concept to grasp.

E 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:24 am

Adam Treloar 3 Votes wrote:
^ E

Wow I see you have been taking lessons in denial from Donald Trump. To quote your earlier post “percentage doesn’t matter. It is a proven fact”.

However, your very next post claims that you never said it doesn’t matter lol.

I am not aware of anyone that has said that percentage is more important than wins. I would think that would be universally agreed.

Percentage is however, the next most important component. It not only determined whether the eagles or Melbourne played finals it also helped to determine every single one of the qualifying/elimination final matchups including where the home qualifying finals would be played. What if the tigers had to play GWS in Sydney instead of MCG? Maybe they win but better than reasonable chance they wouldn’t have. % helped them win a flag.

Yes % matters, it’s really not a hard concept to grasp.

Percentage doesnt matter. It is a fact. you misunderstood my point. I was noting that it hasnt always been the case that percentage doesnt matter. i used 1992 as an example.

My point has always been that under the new final 8 system as it is played now (i.e., top 4 double chance, bottom 4 single elimination), percentage doesn't matter.

nothing has changed.

I also noted that percentage can change permutations, obviously (real rocket science that observation!!!!)!! it might determine an opponent, etc. But it doesn't matter. Your examples of possible different match ups if percentage was different is nonsense. It doesn't matter to the question of who wins the flag.

If you are good enough, percentage doesn't matter one little bit. Again, check Richmond's percentage and come back to me. They were clearly the best team come finals and would have steamrolled EVERYONE at any venue!

Luigitheunbelievable 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:33 am

Hi Folks.
In another time I was involved in a sports club.
Trying to work out a fixture of events for the year was a nightmare. Everyone puts in their requests and preferred dates. Its impossible to make everyone happy.

But some of the comments here make me really angry........"trow down, bendover!!" Collingwood doesn't "trow down bend over" for anyone.
The coach is Nathan Buckley. NOT "suckly'!.......Fair Dinkum.
Regards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: