Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Article 11: Has Blair been re-signed or not?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Actually I regret my attack on the poster, which was prompted by my misreading the meaning of the original (and pretty strange) post title. I thought it was saying that it was deceptive conduct to class Blair as an AFL footballer. It may be that I misread that, and if I had noted that inxs (a quality poster) was the originator, I’d have held back.

Still, in the weeks after T Cloke retired commenting on the effect social media has on the mental well-being of very young men plying a very difficult trade, I’d really love to see us throttle back on the Blair-baiting. He shows plenty of courage on the field, but it is probably secondary to the courage he’d have to have, if he read the opinions about him on here, after his 150 games.

Cheers Mugwump:

Yes, the original 'deceptive and misleading conduct" was a tongue in cheek reference to the club's list management team that snuck the possible extension of Blair. Not a slur on his character or contribution. Like many of my posts, I like to think they are factually constructed, aimed with a view of seeing our squad improve and not stuck in sycophantic nostalgia of a player's former self.

Thanks INXS, apologies again. As I said, if I’d noticed it was yours, I’d have read it more carefully. My bad.

gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:49 pm

There is a poster on here who is either, ( and i've noted this for a long time)
either

1/. Jarryd himself
2/. Related to Jarryd
3/. A friend

based on the effusive praise of Blair every time this comes up.

Why are people giving the 'he's only here to mentor the young kids angle', when he has played nearly every game for the last 6 years, and will probably continue to do so, given the obvious backing of the coach.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:11 am

gurugeoff wrote:
either

1/. Jarryd himself
2/. Related to Jarryd
3/. A friend

Why are people giving the 'he's only here to mentor the young kids angle', when he has played nearly every game for the last 6 years, and will probably continue to do so, given the obvious backing of the coach.

I often chip in on Blair topics but if it's me you're referring to I am none of the above. Just a supporter who 1. views our list a little more wholistically, 2. understands list management and why he's played so many games and 3. Can understand the role he has filled over the last several years despite his obvious limitations.

What gets tiring is pointing out to people that defending his position on the list has naught to do with over praising, over stating , or overrating the guy. Of which I do none of. He's a gutsy fringe player, nothing more......but I Will defend all our players ungainst unwarranted angst and constant social media bashing (Blair or not- he just happens to be the current whipping boy)... Because these guys go out every weekend at the highest level and bust thier guts for us and the club. Cloke was in a similar position.

And in light of players speaking out more and more about the impact of footy on their mental health...people should take note of those efforts and not begrudge the fact they don't meet thier armchair standards or unrealistic expectations.

I simply see the CURRENT merit of having a guy like blair on our list (not necessarily the best 22) and applaud his effort and contribution to the club, which just so happens to include a premiership medallion. That's not living in the past, it's just fact. Fact for which he deserves respect and not the constant bashing he receives in nearly every thread on nicks that has gone way past a simple "critiquing" of a players current form.

PS. He only played 12 games last year. And was fully fit. Go figure.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:36 am

The Blair backers always miss the main point.
That is, he is no longer AFL standard. If he was then other sides would have picked him up when his manager shopped him around last year. People back him because the Club backs him. Not really a rational point of view.
mudlark 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:47 pm

The thing that I see with Blair has nothing to do with endeavour, has nothing to do with commitment ,has nothing to do with loyalty, has nothing to do with fitness. He is a master of all of these things and I doubt anyone cannot concede these facts.What is has got to do with is ability. When you watch genuine ,talented small men and you look, for example at Sam and Tom Mitchell as examples. When either of these guys go near the ball they just seem to pluck it out of the air ,30>40 times a game and deliver it to a team mate, like plucking a cherry from a tree.very rarely do you see them leading as the forward alternative unless they are totally free . On the other hand,Blair charges at the ball and just seems to have his arms taut and the ball seems to hit his arms and rebound 20 metres away from our goal, generally to an unattended opposition and away they go for a goal.This doesn't happen occasionally and it is totally what I base my dislike of him being in the team.Similarly when he charges in to tackle and the best example of this is obviously the GWS debacle and as a senior and premiership player he should know you just can't do shit like that.Particularly when there's 26 seconds to go in the game and you are leading.He does it often.He averages around 7 kicks a game roughly and I think his goal average is .6 which when compared with other small forwards,Eddie Betts is one, he's not in the same country.
Yes he has become the whipping boy and for good reason.Yes he plays for our club and we should all "Support" them ,but not if he is not up to scratch.My big concern is that he gives the ball away too easily but he compounds the problem by giving away ground as well.I'd like to see some stats of Collingwood wins with Blair in the team ,but when we have Blair,Smith and broom head in the team together, we don't win too often.I think many ,many Collingwood supporters were literally shocked that he wasn't moved on or at least made permanent captain of the VFL side with an assurance he would not play in the seniors. It has made it particularly difficult to go into next season with an upbeat outlook with a few on the list who will be in the team at some time or another and as I have stated on a few occasions, we go in to a game a man or 2 down on the opposition, such is the lack of ability a couple of our players display.
I continually see and hear people screaming "Play the Kids",Play the kids.Why don't we.We stick Kirby in for the final game in the full knowledge he is not as fit as he should be and he gets as many touches as Blair would get and we jump on him.Mercilessly.Brown and Daicos should never be out of the team if Blair and Smith are the only alternatives.Look at Rioli for Richmond.Drafted,plays nearly every game,unlike all our early draft picks ,who we leave to rot in the VFL ,and he is now a premiership player and an integral one at that.And I totally agree with Masoncox.Blair backers DO miss that point that he is no longer AFL standard.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:51 am

masoncox wrote:
That is, he is no longer AFL standard. If he was then other sides would have picked him up when his manager shopped him around last year. People back him because the Club backs him. Not really a rational point of view.

No I hear your point (your opinion)...it's hard not too. You bang on about the same points in every thread.

The problem is I just don't rate it as anything much but rubbish.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

masoncox

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:49 pm

September Zeros wrote:
masoncox wrote:

No I hear your point (your opinion)...it's hard not too. You bang on about the same points in every thread.

The problem is I just don't rate it as anything much but rubbish.

The problem was no other team wanted him, even for free. So I will take that and value your opinion as rubbish just like the other 17 teams thought Blair was rubbish. But keep banging on that he is of value.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:33 pm

September Zeros wrote:
gurugeoff wrote:
either

1/. Jarryd himself
2/. Related to Jarryd
3/. A friend

I often chip in on Blair topics but if it's me you're referring to I am none of the above. Just a supporter who 1. views our list a little more wholistically, 2. understands list management and why he's played so many games and 3. Can understand the role he has filled over the last several years despite his obvious limitations.

What gets tiring is pointing out to people that defending his position on the list has naught to do with over praising, over stating , or overrating the guy. Of which I do none of. He's a gutsy fringe player, nothing more......but I Will defend all our players ungainst unwarranted angst and constant social media bashing (Blair or not- he just happens to be the current whipping boy)... Because these guys go out every weekend at the highest level and bust thier guts for us and the club. Cloke was in a similar position.

And in light of players speaking out more and more about the impact of footy on their mental health...people should take note of those efforts and not begrudge the fact they don't meet thier armchair standards or unrealistic expectations.

I simply see the CURRENT merit of having a guy like blair on our list (not necessarily the best 22) and applaud his effort and contribution to the club, which just so happens to include a premiership medallion. That's not living in the past, it's just fact. Fact for which he deserves respect and not the constant bashing he receives in nearly every thread on nicks that has gone way past a simple "critiquing" of a players current form.

PS. He only played 12 games last year. And was fully fit. Go figure.

Well said. Blair has proved his worth as a member of our list. He may not be in our best 22, but with a list of 40, then I guess there's 17 other players in the same boat.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:07 pm

Let me try and succinct my opening post again into piecemeal understanding:

"he isn't good enough ANYMORE"

mudlark 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:35 pm

inxs88 wrote:

I totally agree and if I could add to that quote"and hasn't been for 2 years now"!!
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:11 pm

mudlark wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

I totally agree and if I could add to that quote"and hasn't been for 2 years now"!!

Then make him permanent Captain of our VFL team, on a good salary, win for him, win for the Club, a win=win. Idea

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
E 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:26 pm

inxs88 wrote:

good enough for what?

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:42 am

E wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

good enough for what?

Really? You need me to "succinct the succinct"??

E 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:50 am

inxs88 wrote:
E wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

good enough for what?

Yes. I think he is more than good enough to deserve one more year on the list with a modest contract that reflects the fact that he is there as a back-up and to keep the young guys honest and deserving of a game.

many, many people agree with me on this.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:13 am

E wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
E wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

good enough for what?

Yes. I think he is more than good enough to deserve one more year on the list with a modest contract that reflects the fact that he is there as a back-up and to keep the young guys honest and deserving of a game.

many, many people agree with me on this.

Gee, attaching yourself to the vocal minority. Put up a poll E and ask the question: "should Jarryd Blair be retained on the Pies 2018 Primary list"? I dare you E.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9   

Jump to: