Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Goodbye Sinclair, Ramsey & Oxley (Ox to be re-rookied)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

When they make Langdon captain, you’ll stop referring to him along with the fringe players, won’t you? Or else after he plays his 200th game?
K 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:01 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
When they make Langdon captain, you’ll stop referring to him along with the fringe players, won’t you? Or else after he plays his 200th game?

P4S, I'm curious to know what makes you think Langdon is captaincy material.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:14 pm

I'm just glad the Ox is being rookied to get another go. get him fit and healthy and find the right spot, he's one of the best marks in the team.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:19 pm

Sinclair was probably both overrated and underrated.

He's overrated because since 2013 he's only played 24 games and he's never strung more than 5 consecutive games together in a season during that period and that's simply not sufficient enough exposure to say for certain he would have become consistently above average in performance week in week out.

He's like Ramsay in that regards as he to showed good promise across half back in 2015/16 before being struck down with serious injury.

Sinclair is somewhat underrated as since his switch from that as a defensive forward (where he was horrid) he displayed definite ability as a courageous, quick rebounding defender but ultimately his body let him down.

The Ramsay decision appears quite harsh given he suffered a serious knee injury in 2016 and yet was seemingly thought highly enough of to be rushed back into the team for round 1 this year.

Oxley is lucky to be still contracted for 2018 and I doubt we'll see him again at senior level given the other options we have across half back.

E 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:54 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Sinclair was probably both overrated and underrated.

He's overrated because since 2013 he's only played 24 games and he's never strung more than 5 consecutive games together in a season during that period and that's simply not sufficient enough exposure to say for certain he would have become consistently above average in performance week in week out.

He's like Ramsay in that regards as he to showed good promise across half back in 2015/16 before being struck down with serious injury.

Sinclair is somewhat underrated as since his switch from that as a defensive forward (where he was horrid) he displayed definite ability as a courageous, quick rebounding defender but ultimately his body let him down.

The Ramsay decision appears quite harsh given he suffered a serious knee injury in 2016 and yet was seemingly thought highly enough of to be rushed back into the team for round 1 this year.

Oxley is lucky to be still contracted for 2018 and I doubt we'll see him again at senior level given the other options we have across half back.

Langdon, Sharenberg, Maynard, Crisp, Howe, Dunn, Goldsack, Murray, Phillips, Varcoe are all ahead of Ramsey as options back there so its hard to see him getting a game.

It is harsh in a way, but this isn't little league. I feel sorry for Ramsey, but its the right decision.

Ramsey, Smith and Oxley are all decent players (all of whome have been quite serviceable at AFL level incidentally) who simply arent quite of the caliber of player that we need and so their spot needs to be used on a development position. In Ramsey's spot we have a good group of starters and a good group of back ups. contrast this with Blair where we just dont have the depth in reserve (mainly because Mayne has turned out to be such a dud). So Blair stays and these guys go.

the Sinclair decision by contrast was based purely on his physical issues. When he was concussed from a simple body check, that was the end for him. It just took him another year and a torn hamstring to finally give it away. Once the egg is scrambled, you cant unscramble it. it happens all the time in the NFL. Of course they always stay too long (and they end up getting concussed nearly every time they play).

E 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:00 pm

I know the OP got changed to remove Smith (even though my scoop was that it was 4 players to be cut and not 3), but i am extremely surprised by this. This time last week, he was on the list of players that the club had determined to cut from the list. I'm not sure why that wasn't announced with the other three players.

Did the club change its mind? Or is there another cut coming later this month?

very curious situation ......

woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:11 pm

When oxley played well on half back he looked the goods. He has a light frame but I think a preseason of upper strength will help
On the March 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:37 am

E^^^^

If you consider they will want 3 picks plus Brown as F/S then I think there is more to come.
Then do they consider a DFA. I don't think so although someone like Mullet would be tempting.

Smith may still yet go or perhaps Mayne.

I am surprised by Blair. Keeping him on the list means you will be tempted to play him. Ther is no future in that.

I suppose it depends on what else might be available.
Definitely a longer game plan being adopted here. That is so not Collingwood style.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:53 am

Happy that Oxley will get another shot. I’ve always been impressed by him, though feels like an eternity since he’s actually played an AFL game.

Good to see Smith avoid the axe too. I was having a look at his stats on AFL Tables, and he had something like one bad game after 30 in a row after his debut, including some really solid performances in the weeks prior – and then, that was it; two more cameos for the rest of the year. It’s a cutthroat world, professional football!

E 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:03 am

David wrote:
Happy that Oxley will get another shot. I’ve always been impressed by him, though feels like an eternity since he’s actually played an AFL game.

Good to see Smith avoid the axe too. I was having a look at his stats on AFL Tables, and he had something like one bad game after 30 in a row after his debut, including some really solid performances in the weeks prior – and then, that was it; two more cameos for the rest of the year. It’s a cutthroat world, professional football!

You have to be careful not to confuse a lot of possessions with a quality game. I saw numerous games where Smith got more than 20 touches but was outpointed many times, did not generate anything from his touches and made mistakes that were costly.

I was very high on Smith in 2016. i thought he was really solid and not close to the worst guy out there. As we got better as a team, his weaknesses were a lot more glaring. What i found interesting last year towards the end of the year (and its worth taking a look back yourself), was how good we looked at times when the right players were involved in the play. Many plays that involved Scharenberg or Maynard coming out of defense with damaging precise passes to link up with the likes of DeGoey, Wells and Sidebottom were far more likely to end in goals where we looked great. Many possessions that involved Smith never went anywhere and we often found ourselves defending and out of position.

To be honest (even though i am a Blair fan), this was also true of Blair more often than not (although in the right circumstances he was part of the magestic plays as well which makes his evaluation much more difficult. His problem in my view is that he was asked to be a person that he isn't. He was often asked to be WHE, when he just doesn't have that skillset. Now this might mean there isnt a spot for him, but it is much harder for a club to cut a Blair than a Smith.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:34 pm

I feel sorry for Sinclair as injuries struck him down in the end because I thought he was developing to into a good running half back flanker. Sustaining concussion injuries was what most likely brought about the end of his career unfortunately.

Ramsay fell out of favour as the season progressed but he was also struck down by injuries for much of 2015 and 2016, and couldn't develop the way we hoped. Considering the club brought him back for the first game of the season, it was evident they had high hopes for him this year, but for whatever reason he didn't satisfy their expectations.

Oxley is contracted until 2018, so not overly surprised the club is intending to keep him on for another year, but as a rookie-listed player. I wouldn't be bothered if Oxley didn't return because another club swooped on him before us in the draft, but it's frustrating it's never come together for him either.

I wish Ben and Jackson all the best post-Collingwood, and if this is the end of the Ox, then I wish him well additionally.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:24 pm

Jezza wrote:

Oxley is contracted until 2018, so not overly surprised the club is intending to keep him on for another year, but as a rookie-listed player. I wouldn't be bothered if Oxley didn't return because another club swooped on him before us in the draft, but it's frustrating it's never come together for him either.

I wish Ben and Jackson all the best post-Collingwood, and if this is the end of the Ox, then I wish him well additionally.

I wonder how that works: rookie listed but on whatever salary is in his contract, I suppose. I initially thought that in itself might deter other clubs who might otherwise be interested...but if he's delisted, I suppose they don't have to worry about his contract, right? If that's correct, we could have a situation where club X rookie-lists him at rookie salary, and meanwhile we have to pay him at least the difference between rookie wage and his. Won't that make everyone happy...
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:55 pm

Good luck and thanks to those departed. Glad Oxley is still with us, I think he's got some talent, just hope he can get a decent run at it!
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:56 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Point 1 Langdon will never captain the club
Point 2 he's played 52 games in 4 years so by the averages it will take him a further 13 seasons to get to 200 so very unlikely it would happen.
Lastly he is a fringe player. He has several glaring weaknesses in his game and if he doesn't show improvement this season his chances of a new contract would diminish. He is in a battle for his spot with 3-4 others and depending on match ups/form/injury his spot in the 22 each week isn't guaranteed as much as you would love it to be
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:07 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Point 1 Langdon will never captain the club
Point 2 he's played 52 games in 4 years so by the averages it will take him a further 13 seasons to get to 200 so very unlikely it would happen.
Lastly he is a fringe player. He has several glaring weaknesses in his game and if he doesn't show improvement this season his chances of a new contract would diminish. He is in a battle for his spot with 3-4 others and depending on match ups/form/injury his spot in the 22 each week isn't guaranteed as much as you would love it to be

Just between you and me Qldmagpie, Langdon will never captain the club, but let's keep it quiet because we don't want P4S to find out what we think, because we don't want to upset him too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: