Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Prince of Point Piper’s (Malcolm Turnbull's) woes

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot predict the future.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:57 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Turnbull will contest the next election, and win.

That seems pretty optimistic! What do you think will be the turning point for him?

He's got gay marriage across the line, the economy is doing well, he's given the unions no ammo, he's always been ahead of Shorten as preferred PM, so despite all the angst from both the far right and the left, he's actually doing OK and there's nothing pivotal to change the roughly 10% of swinging voters who decide elections to dump him.

I can see the coalition winning with a small majority.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:14 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

We do. But not enough for Shorten to get voted in.

That is the only thing Holding Back that Shorten is not Liked.

I like that Lady Wong to Become Labor Leader as I reckon she would win Easilt

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:27 am

Wong would need to move out of the Senate for that to happen. SA has just lost a seat in Reps. Not all that sure that traditional labor strongholds in Adelaide will comfortable with a gay Asian woman. I think deputy PM and leader in the senate will be as far as she goes.Could well be factional issues in gaining a seat in the lower house. A smart move might be look at moving to say Canberra and grabbing that seat.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:55 am

stui magpie wrote:
he's given the unions no ammo
Low wage growth, cost of living is up = bang bang. Stui, you and I have seen a few elections and I always say that people vote with their wallets and the next election will be exactly the same.

Last edited by Culprit on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:14 am

ronrat wrote:
Wong would need to move out of the Senate for that to happen. SA has just lost a seat in Reps. Not all that sure that traditional labor strongholds in Adelaide will comfortable with a gay Asian woman. I think deputy PM and leader in the senate will be as far as she goes.Could well be factional issues in gaining a seat in the lower house. A smart move might be look at moving to say Canberra and grabbing that seat.

I suspect she’d be a popular candidate wherever she stands, particularly in inner Adelaide electorates (like Kingston and Port Adelaide, which are fairly safe Labor seats), and I have a feeling that this will happen sooner or later – probably not until Bill has had his run, though.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:28 am

Yes, I do not like Penny Wong’s politics, but she seems a person of reasonable character and her public persona seems fairly authentic and rational. Does she have the ambition for it ? I expect she’d be very electable, and less off-putting than the haranguing, opportunist shop-steward who currently leads the ALP. I doubt her sexuality would be an issue given the gay marriage vote.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:55 am

I think Anthony Albanese is the most realistic challenger to Shorten's leadership at this stage.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:04 pm

Culprit wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
he's given the unions no ammo
Low wage growth, cost of living is up = bang bang. Stui, you and I have seen a few elections and I always say that people vote with their wallets and the next election will be exactly the same.

Can't argue with that, it remains to be seen who they think will be best for their wallets and what the tactics will be for each party. Can't see Shorten's medi-scare working twice.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:38 pm

By the way, Bennelong turned out to be a bit of an anticlimax, didn’t it? Turnbull would be pretty relaxed after that – I suppose it remains to be seen whether he will face any more Section 44 by-elections, but two easy wins out of two isn’t a bad result.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:46 pm

Bennelong Results (NOT final)

Liberal = 36,868 (45.1%)
Labor = 29,234 (35.8%)
Greens = 5,485 (6.7%)
Aus Conservatives = 3,526 (4.3%)
Christian Democrats = 2,540 (3.1%)
Science = 1,005 (1.2%)
Sustainable Australia = 944 (1.2%)
Affordable Housing = 710 (0.9%)
Liberty Alliance = 695 (0.9%)
Progressives = 420 (0.5%)
People's Party = 176 (0.2%)
Non-Custodial Parents = 127 (0.2%)

Two-Party Preferred
- Liberal = 44,925 (55.0%)
- Labor = 36,808 (45.0%)

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:27 pm

Interesting to see that Bernardi’s mob managed fourth place – admittedly, they didn’t have much competition for it, but it shows that their name, if nothing else, is resonating.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:17 pm

David wrote:
Interesting to see that Bernardi’s mob managed fourth place – admittedly, they didn’t have much competition for it, but it shows that their name, if nothing else, is resonating.

^ Yes, that’s not a bad return for Bernardi and Co. I do not like their American-style libertarian economic policies, which are more radical than conservative, and I do not like their environmental indifference ; but it is good to see a party trying to fill the space they do on social and cultural issues.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:07 am

David wrote:
ronrat wrote:

I suspect she’d be a popular candidate wherever she stands, particularly in inner Adelaide electorates (like Kingston and Port Adelaide, which are fairly safe Labor seats), and I have a feeling that this will happen sooner or later – probably not until Bill has had his run, though.

Port Adelaide probably not. Union stronghold. As I intimated factional stooges at play. The ALP would win there if they stood Tukky my poodle but it is hard seeing her getting the nod for preselection.A winnable marginal seat (if they exist) would be a brave but possibly smart move overall if it meant an ALP gain. But like most things in Adelaide it is hard to take any notice of what is going on. A lot depedns on her ambition as well. Deputy PM has a lot of advantages. You don't cop all the heat and you get to pick your own portfolio. Personally I think she would be excellent if she picked Education or Family services as Deputy pm and Minister.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:56 am

With further cut backs as debt increases we will be better off in 5 years under the latest figures. You cut and cut and don't spend, the electorate will punish you. A few vote grabber is Migrants cannot get welfare for 3 years and only a fool wouldn't expect crime to escalate with those migrants as they are basically being forced into crime.

Another Poll down but the LNP are celebrating as they just retained 2 safe seats. Woo Hoo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: