Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our looming big man dominance

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Treloar 3 Votes wrote:
^ masoncox

You say that as though your in the inner sanctum of the club which I doubt. I don't profess to know what the culture is like under Buckley, he says all of the right things during interviews etc. Another thing that stood out to me was each of our top Copeland finishers went out of their way to thank him and all made it clear they were glad he had been reappointed. They didn't have to as he had the job anyway but they did.

It may not count to you but I thought it was significant.

That's rubbish, all he does during his interviews is quote rubbish stats and/or blame other people or things for problems that are ultimately his responsibility.

That's his coaching journey so far in a nut shell, that and failure followed by more failure.. and a few lines in the sand.

E 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:42 am

masoncox wrote:
^ masoncox

Whilst you appear to have gone into great detail of every Collingwood issue of recent memory you forgot to mention your beloved Melbourne Storm getting caught red handed blatently cheating the salary cap. Yeah wonderful club management (not).

It's one thing to have a few lean years but it's another to be forever remembered as a club that cheated. Carlton will never live it down either and rightly so.

Melbourne Storm when confronted with no points for the year went out and played every game as if their life depended on it.
It was their finest hour .....playing their guts out for no points..
What a champion team. And where did they end this year????
Premiers!
In all the football I watched this year both rugby and AFL the one thing that really impressed me was after the tigers won the flag Dusty Martin carried the cup down to the rooms and before the song was sang he insisted that every player both VFL and AFL was there to sing the song. It is all about the culture and Richmond had it this year. Collingwood do not have it. I don't think Buxkley has a clue about the right culture that is needed to win a flag.

its funny how all winning teams seem to have great culture and losing teams appear to have shitty culture.

Hard to refute your observations, but i will ask this question. Does a good culture create winners or does winning create a great culture....... ponder that!

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:40 am

E wrote:
masoncox wrote:
^ masoncox

Whilst you appear to have gone into great detail of every Collingwood issue of recent memory you forgot to mention your beloved Melbourne Storm getting caught red handed blatently cheating the salary cap. Yeah wonderful club management (not).

It's one thing to have a few lean years but it's another to be forever remembered as a club that cheated. Carlton will never live it down either and rightly so.

Melbourne Storm when confronted with no points for the year went out and played every game as if their life depended on it.
Premiers!
In all the football I watched this year both rugby and AFL the one thing that really impressed me was after the tigers won the flag Dusty Martin carried the cup down to the rooms and before the song was sang he insisted that every player both VFL and AFL was there to sing the song. It is all about the culture and Richmond had it this year. Collingwood do not have it. I don't think Buxkley has a clue about the right culture that is needed to win a flag.

its funny how all winning teams seem to have great culture and losing teams appear to have shitty culture.

Hard to refute your observations, but i will ask this question.

I think Melbourne Storm has been up there most of their 20 years. Besides from the salary scandal their last 10 years has been amazing. They have appeared in finals 17 out of 20 years. No doubt Bellyache as the players call him deserves a lot of credit. Bellamy has only missed the finals once in 15 years!
But a workmate told me a few weeks ago that someone had done an analysis of what was the most important part of a winning team and he said it was the captain. It was the captain and leadership which made the difference. So Cameron Smith has really gelled that team. I do not know how true that statement is. But it leads me to Pendles.....fantastic player, one of the best collingwood players of all time but I just don't think he is a natural or strong leader. It is just not in him, even though he tries his very best. It is an interesting conversation piece your point of "Does a good culture create winners or does winning create a great culture?"
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:31 pm

Winning doesn't create a great culture, leadership does. Winning reinforces it.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:07 am

stui magpie wrote:

The strongest culture is one which grows from below, not one imposed from above. The character of our players, more than anything else, will shape the culture of our team.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:22 am

Gees that’s a great quote Rudey! Love it!

As for storm, don’t follow rugby at all, but gees they always seem to be up there. Is that in any way due to their “Sydney swan” status? Ie did they get help to make it in a non rugby state?

I have said long and loud I wish Pendles would be set free to win the next 5 Brownlows.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:08 pm

think positive wrote:

As for storm, don’t follow rugby at all, but gees they always seem to be up there. Is that in any way due to their “Sydney swan” status? Ie did they get help to make it in a non rugby state?

I have said long and loud I wish Pendles would be set free to win the next 5 Brownlows.

As far as I know Storm don't get any more help than any other NRL club. Seems to be more movement of players than the AFL and Storm has lost a number of great players to other clubs but also to rugby union. The greater issue is why do clubs like Storm and Hawthorn have such long lasting success? It can't be just luck.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:20 pm

masoncox wrote:
think positive wrote:

As far as I know Storm don't get any more help than any other NRL club. Seems to be more movement of players than the AFL and Storm has lost a number of great players to other clubs but also to rugby union. The greater issue is why do clubs like Storm and Hawthorn have such long lasting success? It can't be just luck.

It's called talent and when you lose your talented players you lose your good culture and your winning culture. Astute clubs like Storm and Hawthorn know where to get their talent from despite the restrictions of the draft and hence can stay near the top. We on the other hand can only blame ourselves for replacing premiership players like Daisy and Heater with over the hill hacks like Lynch, Russell and Young, or unfulfilled talent such as Kennedy, Broomhead and Ramsay and have paid the price of a slow descent down the ladder.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Daisy ran back to daddy.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:27 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

The strongest culture is one which grows from below, not one imposed from above. The character of our players, more than anything else, will shape the culture of our team.

Not arguing, but good leadership doesn't try to impose a culture from above, it creates the environment to encourage it to grow from below. Wink

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:48 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
Daisy ran back to daddy.

Did he run back to Daddy or away from uncle Buck?
K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:00 pm

masoncox wrote:
E wrote:
masoncox wrote:
^ masoncox

Premiers!

Hard to refute your observations, but i will ask this question.

I think Melbourne Storm has been up there most of their 20 years. Besides from the salary scandal their last 10 years has been amazing.

What happened after the salary-cap scandal, i.e. among the admin., who was kicked out and who survived? How did it occur, and was anything done to prevent it occurring in the future?
Or are very professionally run organizations also sometimes the ones that don't care about rules and eithcs?
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:53 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
masoncox wrote:
think positive wrote:

It's called talent and when you lose your talented players you lose your good culture and your winning culture. Astute clubs like Storm and Hawthorn know where to get their talent from despite the restrictions of the draft and hence can stay near the top. We on the other hand can only blame ourselves for replacing premiership players like Daisy and Heater with over the hill hacks like Lynch, Russell and Young, or unfulfilled talent such as Kennedy, Broomhead and Ramsay and have paid the price of a slow descent down the ladder.

BucksIsFutureCoach you have a point there but I don't know if talent is the complete word. Take Dane Swan talented player but when he was down on form through the 2014-15 season it had its effect on the side. Still he was able to put a few games toghethor and did he make a difference! He just lifted the team! Daisy had speed and x factor when he played with us, a super talent but without that speed has been half the player at the Scum. To create culture you need talented players in form that will do special things and are reliable week after week. When I think of the Hawks you think of Rioli...... Tell me a player that would'nt want to play alongside Rioli or Hodge or Mitchell. Hopefully our leaders in Grundy, Howe, Elliot, Trelore, Sidey and Pendles set the scene in 2018.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:26 pm

masoncox wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:
Daisy ran back to daddy.

According to you everything from global warming to grandad's barbeque fire is buck's fault.

Just boring.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:49 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
masoncox wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:
Daisy ran back to daddy.

According to you everything from global warming to grandad's barbeque fire is buck's fault.

Just boring.

Nevertheless, taking uncle Buck out of the equation, you must have conflicting emotions, because without Daisy, we wouldn't have won the 2010 flag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: