Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our looming big man dominance

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:27 pm
Post subject: Our looming big man dominanceReply with quote

It's funny how our recent KPP weakness could soon turn into our major strength. As long as Cox, Moore and even Grundy continue to improve, we could soon find ourselves with the most flexible and imposing ruck/forward combination in the AFL. If we can get these 3 giants firing together they could prove to be an unstoppable combination. Throw in someone like Tom Lynch in a year's time and we are suddenly Premiership material.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Moore will play all over the field, but if Max Lynch comes on he will add a bit of bite to our forward line because he can take a mark. And then as you say, if we can land Tom Lynch the following year most of our forward line problems are solved.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:03 pm

It's interesting where the game is headed. The game is almost measured by defensive forward pressure acts as much as it is scoreboard contributions.
Recruiting with game trends in mind is probably one of the footy depts biggest challenge.
I think Cox is the wild card in our big man fortunes. IF he can improve his one grab marking, we will be a much improved team. He kicks straight and he can ruck. We just don't want the ball at ground level when he is in the vicinity.

Grundy and Moore are natural footballers, they will have " organic " development in them anyway.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:09 pm

Under the current farcical Ruck rules, a better option is to put Blair into the ruck and rove to the oppositions Ruckman.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:28 pm

Neither Richmond or Bulldogs had large forward lines in the last 2 premierships.

Interesting that with Schache, Cloke, Boyd, Redpath, the Bulldogs look pretty top heavy potentially.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:42 pm

Yep the last two Premiers haven’t had traditional forward structures and everyone will copy that until it changes again. I think it was jack Dyer who said something along the lines of: as games go on Fast guys get slower but big blokes don’t get any smaller. Always a spot for quality big guys. You only play a small forward line if you don’t have any quality big guys.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:14 pm

Albert Parker wrote:
Neither Richmond or Bulldogs had large forward lines in the last 2 premierships.

Interesting that with Schache, Cloke, Boyd, Redpath, the Bulldogs look pretty top heavy potentially.

I think Cloke and Redpath are finished as footballers and Crameri is being pushed out the door, so I don't think a forward line without Redpath, Cloke, Crameri and Stringer is too top heavy, if the only two tall targets are Boyd (who now rucks) and Schache.
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:13 pm

Good thread Rudeboy and yes I agree. We may even have a young KPP with our number 6 pick at draft and I have heard pretty good things of Sam McLarty. Throw in Tom Lynch and things will be looking rosy.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:16 am

Adam Treloar 3 Votes wrote:
Good thread Rudeboy and yes I agree. We may even have a young KPP with our number 6 pick at draft and I have heard pretty good things of Sam McLarty. Throw in Tom Lynch and things will be looking rosy.

I love your blind optimism but what is your definition of rosy? To me things will be rosy when we have a team that is a serious flag contender, not just for one flash in the pan year, but for multiple years.

I may also be blind, but I haven't seen many signs to indicate that we are on an upward curve yet. The Texan can ruck, but the jury is still out on whether he and Grundy can co-exist. Sadly, Reid looks just about done. Pendlebury didn't seem fit when he was playing last season. It appeared to me that he was caught with the ball more times last season than he was in the rest of his career. Hopefully that was injury and not decline. Treloar has to learn to defend as hard as he attacks, which may occur if he has a preseason and remains injury free. We don't have much pace in defence so hopefully the Sydney rookie can change that. We don't have a quick small forward on the list. We have small, but not quick. We have midfielders with poor disposal.

Your footnote refers to us playing finals in 2018. If we scrape into the 8 then we can say that we have improved enough to be an average team. That's a start and may even be taken as a sign that Buckley can build a team.

But, being a realist I won't go on about this any more and deflate everyone else's positivity. This is the time of year when people forget about what happened in the past, when every draftee is going to be a star, when the existing players are going to train the house down and improve out of sight, when the coach is going to rectify his deficiencies and when we are bound to improve enough to be a real threat.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:26 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
It's interesting where the game is headed. The game is almost measured by defensive forward pressure acts as much as it is scoreboard contributions.
Recruiting with game trends in mind is probably one of the footy depts biggest challenge.
I think Cox is the wild card in our big man fortunes. IF he can improve his one grab marking, we will be a much improved team. He kicks straight and he can ruck. We just don't want the ball at ground level when he is in the vicinity.

Grundy and Moore are natural footballers, they will have " organic " development in them anyway.

yep. The role Blair invented and perfected. even if most of you cant see it.

very few people realize that it was blair's defensive pressure that won us the 2010 GF.

deserves more respect.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:29 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Adam Treloar 3 Votes wrote:

I love your blind optimism but what is your definition of rosy? To me things will be rosy when we have a team that is a serious flag contender, not just for one flash in the pan year, but for multiple years.

I may also be blind, but I haven't seen many signs to indicate that we are on an upward curve yet. The Texan can ruck, but the jury is still out on whether he and Grundy can co-exist. Sadly, Reid looks just about done. Pendlebury didn't seem fit when he was playing last season. It appeared to me that he was caught with the ball more times last season than he was in the rest of his career. Hopefully that was injury and not decline. Treloar has to learn to defend as hard as he attacks, which may occur if he has a preseason and remains injury free. We don't have much pace in defence so hopefully the Sydney rookie can change that. We don't have a quick small forward on the list. We have small, but not quick. We have midfielders with poor disposal.

Your footnote refers to us playing finals in 2018. If we scrape into the 8 then we can say that we have improved enough to be an average team. That's a start and may even be taken as a sign that Buckley can build a team.

But, being a realist I won't go on about this any more and deflate everyone else's positivity. This is the time of year when people forget about what happened in the past, when every draftee is going to be a star, when the existing players are going to train the house down and improve out of sight, when the coach is going to rectify his deficiencies and when we are bound to improve enough to be a real threat.

Beautifully said.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:30 pm

LOL any excuse to pot the club - pathetically predictable.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:41 pm

droversdog65 wrote:

Where have I said anything that takes a cheap shot at the club?

Why don't you ask the person that read my post to you, to read it to you again, but more slowly than the previous time? Once that has been done, you can respond sensibly.

You are half right though. I am predictable in so far as I think about posting before I do so. You should try doing that too.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:09 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

Where have I said anything that takes a cheap shot at the club?

Why don't you ask the person that read my post to you, to read it to you again, but more slowly than the previous time? Once that has been done, you can respond sensibly.

You are half right though. I am predictable in so far as I think about posting before I do so. You should try doing that too.

Not you 5
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:18 pm

[quote="5 from the wing on debut"[/quote]

I love your blind optimism but what is your definition of rosy? To me things will be rosy when we have a team that is a serious flag contender, not just for one flash in the pan year, but for multiple years.[/quote]

How many times over the last 40 years has Collingwood or any other team for that matter had a team that was a serious flag contender for multiple consecutive years? I would suggest less than 10 sides in total and only once with the pies. So you go back to your half empty glass whilst waiting for a once in a generation event to occur while the rest of us enjoy the 2018 season 🙂

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: