Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Voluntary euthanasia

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:47 am

The plethora of polls shows a majority are all for assisted dying. Despite the looney tune "right to life" trying to squash this legislation, it has got through the upper house and is a clear victory for compassion and commonsense.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:11 am

I’m certainly not a “right to lifer” but I do wonder about the cheers and tears for the passage of legislation that has no better purpose than to allow people to help other people to cease to exist. I understand the force of the rhetoric about living being worse than death for some people but, given the absence of any viable alternative, can’t help but wonder if that’s just a little hollow.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:06 am

Have you ever had to watch someone you love for months, years, lose all their facilities, their mind, their memory, their ability to even go to the toilet or feed themselves, they stare into space, with fear and pain and boredom written all over their face, and if they are lucky, they get a lucid moment at the right time with the right person to say “I’ve had enough”.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:29 am

think positive wrote:
Have you ever had to watch someone you love for months, years, lose all their facilities, their mind, their memory, their ability to even go to the toilet or feed themselves, they stare into space, with fear and pain and boredom written all over their face, and if they are lucky, they get a lucid moment at the right time with the right person to say “I’ve had enough”.
Exactly TP.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:33 pm

think positive wrote:

Yes, I think we all have, haven't we (certainly if we've lived long enough)? It's all awful but, unless one chooses to believe in a King Elf, the alternative isn't crash-hot, either. It isn't like we've ended world hunger or something.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:37 pm

Or something. "It" being what?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:11 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote:

Yes, I think we all have, haven't we (certainly if we've lived long enough)? It's all awful but, unless one chooses to believe in a King Elf, the alternative isn't crash-hot, either. It isn't like we've ended world hunger or something.

Assuming that when you die, that's it. No afterlife or other stuff, no reset button, it's just game over and no try again.

If you qualify under this legislation, you need to be terminally ill. For some people, life may be more important than quality of life. In their case, no one is forcing them to take the red pill. For those who quality of life is more important than just living, they have the option to choose their own checkout date, with dignity.

I'm in the latter category.

I also saw my dad in his latter days, in hospital. His demise may or may not have been hastened by careful use of morphine which may or may not have been supervised by his doctor with my mothers consent. Dad wasn't in condition to ask for himself, but he certainly would not have wanted to linger in a bed, a non-compos shadow of his former self.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:12 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote:

I have no idea what that means

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:31 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote:

If we've reduced a bit of unnecessary pain and suffering, and granted people dignity and the right to go out on their own terms, then I feel like that's a worthy achievement. I don't particularly want to die, and I think I'd be the type to hold on until the bitter end if I had a terminal illness, but not everyone feels that way. If death is inevitable, then I think having some control over the manner in which it happens is a fairly profound thing in its own right.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:44 pm

How can anyone possibly believe another human has the right to dictate when and how you wish to die if no hope remains?

If you're suffering from a terminal illness and have licensed medical practitioners willing to aid in ending your suffering it's nobody else's business as far as I'm concerned and surely ultimate control of one's life and body should always be in your hands and not someone else.

To me it's the most important basic human right.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:47 pm

^ I agree. It’s all about the safeguards, but time defeats everything, including health and the good of life. I don’t think the state should have the right to punish a person for performing the express will of a loved one, when it does not penalise the wider society. The safeguards are tricky, but we should not let the occasional abuse drive out the wider good.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:06 pm

David wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote:

If we've reduced a bit of unnecessary pain and suffering, and granted people dignity and the right to go out on their own terms, then I feel like that's a worthy achievement. I don't particularly want to die, and I think I'd be the type to hold on until the bitter end if I had a terminal illness, but not everyone feels that way. If death is inevitable, then I think having some control over the manner in which it happens is a fairly profound thing in its own right.

i always said that too, id want the last nanosecond to see my children's faces......then i spent over a year watching my mums final decline, and i watched my Brother in law gasping with pain in the 48 hours before his death..... and i saw my own face in the mirror, dark circles, hollow eyes, and felt the sheer utter helplessness, of not being able to help them, not being able to stop their pain and their frustration....and not being able stop my kids and my husband going through the same feelings of helplessness...

aside from that there is the humiliation of adult nappies, and food dribbling down the chin, struggling to remember your own name let alone anyone elses, and all while coping with physical pain, no thanks.

i have no intention of putting my children through any of that.

the rest i totally agree with!! especially the not dying bit, im in no hurry!! cheers

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:09 am

Culprit wrote:
The plethora of polls shows a majority are all for assisted dying. Despite the looney tune "right to life" trying to squash this legislation, it has got through the upper house and is a clear victory for compassion and commonsense.

Are you saying those who hold a pro-life stance on this issue lack compassion? I don't understand this argument that only pro-choice advocates have a monopoly on compassion when it comes to euthanasia.

It's a sensitive issue with a multitude of strong arguments from both sides who largely have good intentions.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:14 am

Jezza wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Are you saying those who hold a pro-life stance on this issue lack compassion? I don't understand this argument that only pro-choice advocates have a monopoly on compassion when it comes to euthanasia.

It's a sensitive issue with a multitude of strong arguments from both sides who largely have good intentions.
That's exactly what I am saying. Stand on a mantle and tell people sorry, I really feel for you but you are just going to have to suffer as I don't agree with people ending their lives on their own terms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: