Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who do you want to be drafted with our pick 6?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
Naughton make the Most Sense as he Fits Need and Rating him.

Question is do you think his Disposal will get better or not

Agree, I tend to think from a list management point of view, Naughton makes the most sense, although I'm not convinced he is the sixth best player in the draft.
All new recruits have areas to work on. Kicking will be his priority. He's very left sided and supposedly it's his height that makes for an awkward ball drop more than anything else. A lot of tall U18s look awkward. ( you should see Ballendon get around the park )
Naughton is a lovely mark, so kicking from a standing start is going to be a lot easier for him than on the run.
He will improve alright. Take a look at the early footage of Rance and Gasper ( both AA ) and that will show you what can be done with a few years in the system.
Of course if Freo take him first or the Pies don't rate him at 6, then none of the above matters.

Last edited by Pies2016 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:45 pm

IMO, we need to take the emotion out of this selection and select the best available talent.

I feel some of these key position prospects are rating top 10 just based on clubs needs while Ed Richards is there sentimentally.

If the best available is Brayshaw, Dow, Fogarty etc etc then we take that guy.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:09 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Naughton make the Most Sense as he Fits Need and Rating him.

Question is do you think his Disposal will get better or not

Agree, I tend to think from a list management point of view, Naughton makes the most sense, although I'm not convinced he is the sixth best player in the draft.
All new recruits have areas to work on. Kicking will be his priority. He's very left sided and supposedly it's his height that makes for an awkward ball drop more than anything else. A lot of tall U18s look awkward. ( you should see Ballendon get around the park )
Naughton is a lovely mark, so kicking from a standing start is going to be a lot easier for him than on the run.
He will improve alright. Take a look at the early footage of Rance and Gasper ( both AA ) and that will show you what can be done with a few years in the system.
Of course if Freo take him first or the Pies don't rate him at 6, then none of the above matters.

Isnt a 192cm forward with x factor who is rated the best kick in the draft precisely what we need? I am obviously speaking of Fogarty.

I think only one of Naughton and Fogarty will be available at 6, and i'm pretty sure we'll take one of them.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:55 pm

^^^

You could also argue that a ( possible ) 200 game CHB whose best qualities are marking and reading the play is also what we need.

I would think Fogarty will still be there at six and Naughton would be too if the dockers don't take him at five. Ideally you would want them both there still, so Collingwood can at least go with plan A ( which may not be either of them )
It will be really interesting to see which way they go just to see what part of ground they prioritise as needing the most attention.
Projected upside of either will will play a big part and this is the stuff that none of us on here are up to speed with. You can only trust the club to get it right on the day.

From day one on here I put forward Brayshaw and Fogarty as my preferred ( realistic ) targets. I haven't changed my mind but I can't help but wonder why Naughton would make those public comments about wanting Freo to let him fall to Collingwood. Just makes me think he knows he is going to be selected by either one of them.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:00 pm

I say it yet again, a Joe Daniher Clone, MK 2.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
I say it yet again, a Joe Daniher Clone, MK 2.

That's next year ... as long as we finish low enough Rolling Eyes
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:08 pm

Fogarty's my choice. He can play as a key forward or defender, and has the potential to even become a Bontempelli type midfielder - only tougher!

He is the complete package and offers flexibility. Remember, he was previously tipped to go as number one in the draft, before he had some injury problems this season which effected his form. He's now injury free and could line up round one.

Having said that, Naughton is a great player too, so either one will do me.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:51 am

So if we are to believe Hine has put a line through Stephenson because of concerns over his health and doubts abound in his mind of what position Fogarty will fill at the next level due to running capacity (speed and endurance) then that leaves us with 5 likely candidates remaining.

Please note I don't profess to have any detailed knowledge of the players below. I simply rely on the ramblings of the few that do and highlight reels that may display abilities in a player that I like so a natural bias comes into play.

1.Adam Cerra
Already seen as a potential top 5 selection and if it wasn't for an injury interrupted 2 years might be in pick 1 calculations. His U18 coach rates him as good if not the best prospect he's seen and he's coached the likes of Christian Petracca in recent seasons. That's some high praise. At 186cm and 85kg he's a good size and doesn't mind the tough stuff. If you've watched his highlights you can see that this guy has got it, he's silk, reads the game well and an excellent disposer of the ball by foot.
He may well be the long term replacement for Pendlebury as that classy midfielder who doesn't panic under pressure. The biggest query for me would be his leg speed in side with to many one paced midfielders. The other smaller concern would be that with de Goey and Maynard hopefully receiving greater midfield time in 2018 will someone I see as a pure midfielder be able to make another position his own at AFL level while he marks time waiting for opportunity.

2.Aaron Naughton.
Started life in Victoria before his family moved to Western Australia. Mad Collingwood supporter. Naughton is seen as the best key position prospect in the draft having overtaken Jarrod Brander for that title. Interestingly though a lot of people still rate him outside the top 10 in their power rankings which must be something of a rarity for the player considered the best key tall in the draft. They generally go top 3. So is 6 a reach?
His kicking looks far from text book and awkward but from my limited viewing it appeared to get the job done on most occasions. One thing that he appeared to do very well was read the flight of the ball, position himself well against his opponent and make good decisions in contests. He actually reminded me of Darren Glass in these aspects. Has already had senior exposure in the WAFL. While doubts about his kicking will remain for now I think we can all agree that having a key defender who does his main job well of negating or beating his direct opponent is still of high importance and the remainder can be worked on.

3.Andrew Brayshaw
If anyone is seen as a sure bet in this draft then Brayshaw is seemingly it. People are already talking him up as a 200 game player.
For casual draft observers like myself he has seemingly come from nowhere to now be in contention to be taken within the top 5.
He is a midfielder with a good all round game, no obvious weakness, is a tough competitor and one who takes a professional approach to his football.
By biggest query would be two things. Firstly is their any one feature in his game that will see him elevated to a game changer at the next level in a big moment, in a big final? Is he the jack of all trades but the master of none? I've seen him described as a more polished Taylor Adams.
The second one would be that at 183cm he'd be yet another medium sized midfielder in a list already stacked with them in Sidebottom, Treloar, Adams, Greenwood and Aish. The first 3 will be staples in the best 22 for the next 5 years and I haven't even considered the futures of Broomhead, Thomas, Daicos and Brown.

4.Nicholas Coffield
Captain of the Northern Knights having played primarily off half back with stints through the midfield. Coffield is quick in a straight line but said to have great lateral movement that allows him to evade opponents intent on tackling. Is seen as an excellent disposer by foot. At 190cm he is a great size especially so if he can transition to the midfield in coming seasons and provide a point of difference. Some have likened him to Pendlebury in some aspects of his game. Coffield with his mix of outside speed, willingness to carry the ball and neat disposal provides plenty of what Collingwood need but any talk linking him to us seems to have dissipated.

5.Aiden Bonar
Is he the Marcus Bontempelli of this draft? Bonar is a 190cm power athlete who possesses excellent speed, a booming kick and equaled the record for the standing vertical jump at the draft combine. Not bad for someone making his return from multiple knee injuries though this lack of exposure makes his value harder to gauge. It would be a ballsy move to take him at pick 6 because of his injury history but if we want x-factor and speed then he looks the best bet after Stephenson. In the short term he would be used as that 3rd tall forward option and with how the premiership sides of the last two years have lined up that smaller more mobile forward structure might be the way the game is heading. Bonar would certainly bring real excitement to our F50 and his speed and strength should enable him to apply fierce tackling pressure. If you watched his highlights from the all star game it's clear he has a lot of attributes that should see him capable of being a real difference maker at AFL level, to turn a game in 5 minute burst and if his knees hold up and endurance improves could end up being one of the very best of this draft.

In conclusion (and not considering Stephenson or Fogarty) my head says it'll be either Cerra or Naughton for us at pick 6.

Cerra will bring the class that could see him as the natural successor to Pendlebury.

Naughton certainly fills our most obvious list need and if we have gotten word we'll likely need to use pick 38 on Brown (and are willing to) then it only strengthens the chance it'll be Naughton as I don't see us walking away from this draft not having selected a kpp at either 6 or 38.

My gut says Coffield would prove to be a worthy selection as he fills two needs in terms of outside speed and foot skills. In the short term at least unlike someone like a Cerra or Brayahaw who'll probably have to bide their time in a more unfamiliar position at AFL level, if we were to look to play Maynard through the midfield Coffield could come in to play his role across half back and be more accustomed to it.

My heart says take a chance on Bonar as his ceiling could be sky high if he gets a clean run at it and he'll excite the Collingwood masses perhaps like no other in the draft.

P.S-The dark horse of the pack or best outsider is Nathan Murphy.

BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:13 am

I'm hoping we can get an elite ball user. Saw what Daniel Wells did for us last year. Makes us a 4-5 goal better side.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:17 am

I've seen a fair bit of Brayshaw and I agree he least fits the profile of the players we need. Despite that Brayshaw like his older brother will play 200 games of AFL football. Cerra, Coffield and Naughton are all a great fit to me, but I can't imagine Cerra getting to pick six. Bonar is the interesting one. Am I reading right, he has had two ACL's? If the first one doesn't take and then they get it right the second time, it could mean that he has his whole career ahead of him. You just don't know these things.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:31 am

/\/\/\
Re. Bonar, yes... well, as others have mentioned, a tear of the ACL and then a tear of the graft. The most confirmed details I've read about his case were in the article linked a couple of pages back in this thread.
A physio Pies supporter on bigfooty said he was "scared" and that talk of the graft not taking sounds "odd".

I'm curious to know any other medicos' guesses on what that means for Bonar's future, but it sounds like an ongoing concern.

Last edited by K on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:47 am

swoop42 wrote:
So if we are to believe Hine has put a line through Stephenson because of concerns over his health and doubts abound in his mind of what position Fogarty will fill at the next level due to running capacity (speed and endurance) then that leaves us with 5 likely candidates remaining.

Please note I don't profess to have any detailed knowledge of the players below. I simply rely on the ramblings of the few that do and highlight reels that may display abilities in a player that I like so a natural bias comes into play.

1.Adam Cerra
Already seen as a potential top 5 selection and if it wasn't for an injury interrupted 2 years might be in pick 1 calculations. His U18 coach rates him as good if not the best prospect he's seen and he's coached the likes of Christian Petracca in recent seasons. That's some high praise. At 186cm and 85kg he's a good size and doesn't mind the tough stuff. If you've watched his highlights you can see that this guy has got it, he's silk, reads the game well and an excellent disposer of the ball by foot.
He may well be the long term replacement for Pendlebury as that classy midfielder who doesn't panic under pressure. The biggest query for me would be his leg speed in side with to many one paced midfielders. The other smaller concern would be that with de Goey and Maynard hopefully receiving greater midfield time in 2018 will someone I see as a pure midfielder be able to make another position his own at AFL level while he marks time waiting for opportunity.

2.Aaron Naughton.
Started life in Victoria before his family moved to Western Australia. Mad Collingwood supporter. Naughton is seen as the best key position prospect in the draft having overtaken Jarrod Brander for that title. Interestingly though a lot of people still rate him outside the top 10 in their power rankings which must be something of a rarity for the player considered the best key tall in the draft. They generally go top 3. So is 6 a reach?
His kicking looks far from text book and awkward but from my limited viewing it appeared to get the job done on most occasions. One thing that he appeared to do very well was read the flight of the ball, position himself well against his opponent and make good decisions in contests. He actually reminded me of Darren Glass in these aspects. Has already had senior exposure in the WAFL. While doubts about his kicking will remain for now I think we can all agree that having a key defender who does his main job well of negating or beating his direct opponent is still of high importance and the remainder can be worked on.

3.Andrew Brayshaw
If anyone is seen as a sure bet in this draft then Brayshaw is seemingly it. People are already talking him up as a 200 game player.
For casual draft observers like myself he has seemingly come from nowhere to now be in contention to be taken within the top 5.
He is a midfielder with a good all round game, no obvious weakness, is a tough competitor and one who takes a professional approach to his football.
By biggest query would be two things. Firstly is their any one feature in his game that will see him elevated to a game changer at the next level in a big moment, in a big final? Is he the jack of all trades but the master of none? I've seen him described as a more polished Taylor Adams.
The second one would be that at 183cm he'd be yet another medium sized midfielder in a list already stacked with them in Sidebottom, Treloar, Adams, Greenwood and Aish. The first 3 will be staples in the best 22 for the next 5 years and I haven't even considered the futures of Broomhead, Thomas, Daicos and Brown.

4.Nicholas Coffield
Captain of the Northern Knights having played primarily off half back with stints through the midfield. Coffield is quick in a straight line but said to have great lateral movement that allows him to evade opponents intent on tackling. Is seen as an excellent disposer by foot. At 190cm he is a great size especially so if he can transition to the midfield in coming seasons and provide a point of difference. Some have likened him to Pendlebury in some aspects of his game. Coffield with his mix of outside speed, willingness to carry the ball and neat disposal provides plenty of what Collingwood need but any talk linking him to us seems to have dissipated.

5.Aiden Bonar
Is he the Marcus Bontempelli of this draft? Bonar is a 190cm power athlete who possesses excellent speed, a booming kick and equaled the record for the standing vertical jump at the draft combine. Not bad for someone making his return from multiple knee injuries though this lack of exposure makes his value harder to gauge. It would be a ballsy move to take him at pick 6 because of his injury history but if we want x-factor and speed then he looks the best bet after Stephenson. In the short term he would be used as that 3rd tall forward option and with how the premiership sides of the last two years have lined up that smaller more mobile forward structure might be the way the game is heading. Bonar would certainly bring real excitement to our F50 and his speed and strength should enable him to apply fierce tackling pressure. If you watched his highlights from the all star game it's clear he has a lot of attributes that should see him capable of being a real difference maker at AFL level, to turn a game in 5 minute burst and if his knees hold up and endurance improves could end up being one of the very best of this draft.

In conclusion (and not considering Stephenson or Fogarty) my head says it'll be either Cerra or Naughton for us at pick 6.

Cerra will bring the class that could see him as the natural successor to Pendlebury.

Naughton certainly fills our most obvious list need and if we have gotten word we'll likely need to use pick 38 on Brown (and are willing to) then it only strengthens the chance it'll be Naughton as I don't see us walking away from this draft not having selected a kpp at either 6 or 38.

My gut says Coffield would prove to be a worthy selection as he fills two needs in terms of outside speed and foot skills. In the short term at least unlike someone like a Cerra or Brayahaw who'll probably have to bide their time in a more unfamiliar position at AFL level, if we were to look to play Maynard through the midfield Coffield could come in to play his role across half back and be more accustomed to it.

My heart says take a chance on Bonar as his ceiling could be sky high if he gets a clean run at it and he'll excite the Collingwood masses perhaps like no other in the draft.

P.S-The dark horse of the pack or best outsider is Nathan Murphy.

That's a great review Swoop.

I posted a bit about Cerra earlier and he certainly won't disappoint if he fell through to the Pies. He's just so balanced and he's the player you want to be leading up to when you're a forward. I also made earlier comment that when you're dual sided like Cerra, you can get away without being super quick because you don't depend on your preferred foot to get a kick away.

The Brayshaw point of difference is his leadership qualities. He has a loud voice and leads by example. He was also captain in the all stars game.
He also tested and interviewed really well at the Combine.
I believe this is why Brisbane might be looking at him for their first pick.
That club needs leadership and he would be the perfect heir apparent.

We swapped posts about Nathan Murphy earlier and you are on the money.
I don't think we will pick him but wouldn't surprise me if the saints took him with one of their two picks. I really like this kid. The modern day utility with silky skills ( bottom ager too )

Oscar Allen is my dark horse. W A third tall type. Larke medal winner and great lateral movement and agility for 191cms. The Dockers may consider him at five and surprise everyone but if they don't, he could still go just inside the top 10.

For me, the wild cards are Stephenson and Higgins. They could go anywhere from four to sixteen on Friday night.

Only two more sleeps.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:48 am

magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:47 am

Get whats his face with the elite foot skills and if you cant get him get whatchamacallim with the fantastic footskills and if you cant get him get the other bloke with the mad footskills...
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:44 am

K wrote:
/\/\/\
Re. Bonar, yes... well, as others have mentioned, a tear of the ACL and then a tear of the graft. The most confirmed details I've read about his case were in the article linked a couple of pages back in this thread.
A physio Pies supporter on bigfooty said he was "scared" and that talk of the graft not taking sounds "odd".

I'm curious to know any other medicos' guesses on what that means for Bonar's future, but it sounds like an ongoing concern.

I'm an aromatherapist. Trust me the knee is fine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 17 of 21   

Jump to: