Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The irony

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
We're short of KPP, we delist KPP, we aren't interested in trading for KPP.

There's obviously a strategy in place, time will tell if it's a good one.

WE DONT NEED KEY POSITION PLAYERS (just for the sake of it)!! Instead, we have specific needs.

We are missing two types of defenders. The first is our omst glaring weakness. A shut down backmen who can take the grizzly bear that opponents have (mainly guys like Kennedy, Franklin, Hawkins, Cameron, Lynch, Tex Walker, etc.) and simply shut them down. Think Nathan Brown in his prime and really think of Presti.

We could also use a super fast shut down small defender to nullify the likes of Eddie Betts type players. A Tarkyn Lockyer or dare I say it, a Mick Gayfer! Stan the Man Magro!

What we don't need are defenders more generally. We have three of the best mid size defenders in the game in Howe, Scharenberg and Langdon. 4 if you don't need or want to use Goldsack in his better spot which is shut down forward. We also developed one of the better running half backs in crisp this year and Maynard can also do it if you don't want to use him in the midfield.

Dunn is that guy right now, and I bet they have high hopes for McLarty.

Schade and Keefe both leak a lot of goals and are not "Shut down types". Unlikely they'd get a game (and once you decide they don't make us better, then its time to put time into others.

What we really need is a second tall forward who is a legitimate marking target so that we have more than one avenue to goal and players would got forward with Moore confidence than they have done at times this year.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:00 pm

We actually don't need key position defenders simply as backup. Though we could do with one more quality developing one.

Currently we have: Dunn, Reid, McClarty. Then Goldsack and Scharenberg have also played on KPPs - not ideal, but better than a dud player we have in the VFL just for backup, like Schade and Keeffe? Probably so.

Schade played last year because Dunn wasn't ready for whatever reason. Next year though, McClarty moves up the chart and should definitely be ahead of him.

Keeffe played forward almost the entire year in the VFL, so wasn't even being considered for defence at AFL level.

We might sign a cheap backup who should only play VFL, there are many options. It's not essential but maybe we want cover, should be on the Rookie list. Of actual importance though, we will hopefully pick up a quality prospect like McClarty in the draft or via trade. Not to replace Schade or Keeffe but to replace our first 22 players in time.

I guess the point I'm trying to make: the delisting of Keeffe and Schade means very little to nothing about our strategy going forward.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:02 pm

I am not sure I see your point.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:16 am

Quote:
Keefe and Schade. Both key backs.
Not at AFL level.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:01 pm

Is there any chance that we are going to rookie list them for next year.

It seems amazing that we have made significant investment in both players and then simply got rid of them How can you justify a number two pick for someone you de-list the next year. How can you justify having a banned player taking up space on the rookie list for two years, play him for one season at VFL level and then de-list him

It does not make sense.

Last edited by Member 7167 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:46 pm

^^We gave up what for who? Confused

I'm not surprised that either are gone. Rookie listed players come and go.

woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:57 pm

Ex-Pie 'still confused' about fall from grace - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-27/expie-still-confused-about-sudden-fall-from-grace

Schade talking about bucks telling him he's surplus defender... Darcy going back. He's under untried defender...
And don't u play him in the last 2 games of the year and use him as trade bait?
We got nothing for him.

Obviously means bucks thought he was not AFL standard. Not just too many defenders. Kinda white lied to him lol
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:39 pm

^^Picked him up for nothing, let him go for nothing. That's about his value.

He was only on our Rookie list, so couldn't exactly deal him anywhere. And before anyone mentions it: Murray was a Cat B Rookie, there's a significant difference there. Murray could not simply walk from the club if the Swans wanted to keep him, would have had to sit out for 12 months.

barrackers 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:16 am

woodys_world69 wrote:
Ex-Pie 'still confused' about fall from grace - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-27/expie-still-confused-about-sudden-fall-from-grace

Schade talking about bucks telling him he's surplus defender... Darcy going back. He's under untried defender...
We got nothing for him.

Obviously means bucks thought he was not AFL standard. Not just too many defenders. Kinda white lied to him lol

His fall was dramatic once demoted from the seniors to the extent he often didn't look VFL standard. As to why he seems to answer his own question in the article though.

Quote:
"I'm still confused as to why it changed so quickly. I don't have an answer for that, unfortunately."

"'Bucks' was really good to me this year – I really respect him – and he was honest with me. He said Darcy was going down back, and obviously we've got 'Howey' (Jeremy Howe) down there who's an absolute gun, and 'Dunny' (Lynden Dunn) had a really good season, so they felt they had enough defenders," he said.

"He talked about self-confidence, and how he feels I should be more confident in myself, which is definitely something I'll take on board,"
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:27 am

woodys_world69 wrote:

We got nothing for him.

Pretty sure Darcy was a defender originally, I could be wrong.

Keefe is a massive disappointment, not sorry he’s gone. Thomas earned back respect. Good on him. Must have worked his arse in his year of disgrace.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:50 am

woodys_world69 wrote:

We got nothing for him.

Yeah. Personally I feel sorry for him because I believe he and Keeffe deserved another chance next year, whereas we have players on our list who are surplus to requirements such as Smith, Sier, Blair and Oxley, who are lucky to go around again. What happens next year if Dunn goes down? Who replaces him? Do people really believe that McLarty is ready next year? I don't. Goldsack played last year at CHB. His best position is as a defensive medium forward. Scharenberg is not a CHB. Who else have we got? Please enlighten me? Anyone?

I understand that the trend these days is to play the smaller forwards, so there are fewer big men around, but the game of AFL is evolving all the time and at some point the big men will come back into the game. When they do we won't be ready.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:27 pm

Schade came across very well in that interview. I hope someone picks him up but it’s also good to hear that he’s working on another career, in case. Good luck, son.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: