Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The silence over Harvey Weinsteins serial abuse

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Rape is about power, not sex is a distinctly 80s piece of dogma that has had remarkable staying power. I was having an argument about this with someone else just the other day. Of course the desire for power or dominance is a relevant motivation for many acts of rape and sexual assault; but so too, of course, is sexual desire. A more accurate saying would be that rape is often just as much about power as it is about sex.

It was a technical hypothesis, not a "saying".

The hypothesis concerns a power differential which is animated and sustained by nonsense discourse (women are...; men are...; the world is...).

This doesn't deny other causes; rather, like all hypotheses, it is pushing for a certain approach based on a certain framing of the problem.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:26 am

The impression Ive had is that people do take it literally as a piece of dogma. Indeed, its hard to imagine how it could not be taken that way, once it entered popular discourse. This is the argument made here:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/insight-therapy/201602/rape-is-not-only-about-power-it-s-also-about-sex

Quote:
It did not take long for Brownmillers scholarly claim to morph into a galvanizing political battle cry (rape is about power, not sex), which would over time calcify into popular dogma, finding frequent unquestioning expression in the media, becoming a staple of University assault prevention and education efforts and applied liberally to other kinds of sexual misbehavior, such as sexual harassment.

What this notion did well was to promote the causes of social justice and gender equality. What it did poorly was to explain rape.

Advocacy, of course, need not rely on science so long as its solely focused on values. I may value gender equality and champion it without needing scientific approval of my stance. Ones values are subjective, requiring no proof in evidence, and are beholden to no empirical facts.

But advocacy does run into trouble when it tries to claim the mettle of truth. If, for example, I advocate a position that rape is not about sex, I am making a claim of truth, not of values (even if Im doing so in service of my values). Discerning truth requires us to referee competing claims based on evidence, and for that we have only science.

[...]

Contemporary feminist scholars, alert to the limitations of the rape is about power dogma, have also risen to the challenge of providing a more nuanced, empirically based and hence useful understanding of rape. For example, a recent paper by Beverly McPhail of the University of Houston seeks to knit together several feminist theories of rape into a new comprehensive model. In a useful and poignant reminder that the political is personal, she notes that rape is both a political, aggregate act whereby men as a group dominate and control women as a group, and a very personal, intimate act in which the body of a singular person is violated by another person(s). Rape, she asserts further, occurs due to multiple motives rather than the single motivation... The multiple motivations include, but are not limited to, sexual gratification, revenge, recreation, power/control, and attempts to achieve or perform masculinity.

Not a catchy political slogan, one concedes, but much closer to the truth.

I also agree with this article:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/9866496

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:00 pm

^Well, now you can debunk the derivative hot air and get back to serious forms of the hypothesis to see if they have merit.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:50 pm

Well, it depends what youre talking about. Brownmillers book was important for its time, but needless to say its pretty outdated. If we were to engage in such contemporary scholarly/academic discussions, I expect wed be taking it as a given that rape is about power, not sex is not a claim to be taken seriously. The only field where it still gets a run is the popular, everyday context, and that, as far as I can tell, is the only field in which it needs to be argued. I think the article I posted is as serious an engagement with the discussion as you could hope for.

(Im also confused by the implication that this slogan, and what people think it means, doesnt matter; on the contrary, I think understanding what motivates rapists is hugely important, both from a research level and also for the general population.)

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:11 pm

^ well said, David.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:21 pm

You might as well just go with "It's bullshit", you'll get the same level of discourse.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:03 am

Interesting question on Facebook: how can you mourn Hugh Hefner while reviling Harvey Weinstein?

(I get the difference, I see the point, it wasnt my question!)

And Apparently George Clooney is next. Shocked

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:11 am

David wrote:
Well, it depends what youre talking about. Brownmillers book was important for its time, but needless to say its pretty outdated. If we were to engage in such contemporary scholarly/academic discussions, I expect wed be taking it as a given that rape is about power, not sex is not a claim to be taken seriously. The only field where it still gets a run is the popular, everyday context, and that, as far as I can tell, is the only field in which it needs to be argued. I think the article I posted is as serious an engagement with the discussion as you could hope for.

(Im also confused by the implication that this slogan, and what people think it means, doesnt matter; on the contrary, I think understanding what motivates rapists is hugely important, both from a research level and also for the general population.)

Debunking dumb misapprehensions of things is way too easy, surely. I can't wait for the landmark critical piece, "Schizophrenia is Not (Only) About Dopamine Regulation".

As you surely know, the basic hypothesis would be claiming something like:

power differential + prevalence of nonsense supporting arguments sustaining power differential => an increased incidence of rape

The proposed remedial strategy would then be to "deconstruct" the nonsense supporting arguments.

Now, I tend to look at things through a cognitive biology lense, so that's not the hypothesis and fix I'd come up with.

But in a world of multiple causes that doesn't necessarily make it a bad hypothesis, particularly once you eliminate dysfunction (crazies) and discount for universals (such as sex drive).

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:27 pm

from a friends page:

This is what it is like to be a woman. Not complaining - this is just our reality.
I draw a line down the middle of a chalkboard, sketching a male symbol on one side and a female symbol on the other. Then I ask just the men: What steps do you guys take, on a daily basis, to prevent yourselves from being sexually assaulted? At first there is a kind of awkward silence as the men try to figure out if they've been asked a trick question. The silence gives way to a smattering of nervous laughter. Occasionally, a young a guy will raise his hand and say, 'I stay out of prison.' This is typically followed by another moment of laughter, before someone finally raises his hand and soberly states, 'Nothing. I don't think about it.' Then I ask women the same question. What steps do you take on a daily basis to prevent yourselves from being sexually assaulted? Women throughout the audience immediately start raising their hands. As the men sit in stunned silence, the women recount safety precautions they take as part of their daily routine. Here are some of their answers: Hold my keys as a potential weapon. Look in the back seat of the car before getting in. Carry a cell phone. Don't go jogging at night. Lock all the windows when I sleep, even on hot summer nights. Be careful not to drink too much. Don't put my drink down and come back to it; make sure I see it being poured. Own a big dog. Carry Mace or pepper spray. Have an unlisted phone number. Have a man's voice on my answering machine. Park in well-lit areas. Don't use parking garages. Don't get on elevators with only one man, or with a group of men. Vary my route home from work. Watch what I wear. Don't use highway rest areas. Use a home alarm system. Don't wear headphones when jogging. Avoid forests or wooded areas, even in the daytime. Don't take a first-floor apartment. Go out in groups. Own a firearm. Meet men on first dates in public places. Make sure to have a car or cab fare. Don't make eye contact with men on the street. Make assertive eye contact with men on the street.
― Jackson Katz, The Macho Paradox: Why Some Men Hurt Women and How All Men Can Help

bad enough living with that without a lecherous old bastard standing in your way of a job.

speak to your sons, not your daughters.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:58 am

The publicity generated brings the stories out.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/20/health/weinstein-metoo-moments/index.html?sr=twCNN102017weinstein-metoo-moments0505PMStory

Clear that you don't need the level of power this bloke had, just enough in the context.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:19 pm

Jesus so many $$%^%%$ scumbags
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:24 pm

Are you still get the word TEAM?
Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:18 pm

In view of what's been going on, the producers of An Open Secret have made the film available for free on Vimeo.

https://vimeo.com/142444429

MM

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Wrong Harvey:

"...Iconic gay playwright, actor, and producer Harvey Fierstein would like to get one thing straight (for the first time in his life): He is not Harvey Weinstein..."

"...Harvey Fierstein has been tweeting up some hilarious missives in his attempt to right the ship. Harvey Weinstein is rumored to be in trouble & I am somehow getting flak as well! I get it. All Harveys look alike, he wrote. Guys, were mad at Harvey WEINSTEIN, not Harvey FIERSTEIN! A few days later, he added: Thanks to Weinsteins horrible behavior Ive been dubbed #theGoodHarvey on the internet. I appreciate the distinction [but cant] I be #TheFabHarvey?...

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/harvey-fierstein-harvey-weinstein-twitter-lgbt-1201886272/

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:18 pm

Saw an article I wont bother posting, the author was mad that he didn't go for black women so they were missing out on the roles that he was demanding sex for...

Yeah, that's enough internet for today I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10   

Jump to: