Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Was Buckley really a good kick?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Funkadelic 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

So are there comprehensive stats for degree of difficulty, angle, distance, closest defenders, off how many steps, off which foot, game situation, game time, what were the players movements prior to the shot ect.? Because if not the stats don’t show much at all.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:54 pm

^^^
Short answer: now, yes (but with different factors from those you mention); in older times, no.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:47 pm

jonmac533 wrote:
E wrote:
...and even if you pass a ball perfectly to the advantage of Drew Gooden, this is no guaranty he is going to get it.

recall that for many years he played in those crappy tony shaw sides. not sure he would have had much option than to try to make a perfect pass.

I am 100% certain that buks would be considered the elite kick of the competition, even if he played today.

No bullshit skepticism will change my view of that.

I will concede he didn't always kick the goal when he was on the run through 50 (and at least a few times I remember thinking he should have made that because we needed it badly). I don't remember getting similarly upset when Burns or Williams missed those same shots.

I also don't get upset when some of our young guys miss on the run from 50.

his goal kicking is judged by a high standard.

and for the record, discussing just how good a kick our greatest ever player was is PRECISELY what we should be endlessly discussing during the off season. isn't that what this board was built for???????

As to the highlighted you would have to ask chief but from my point of view no board should be a vehicle for petty nitpicking and snide backstabbing of one of our greatest ever players camouflaged as a reasoned inquiry.

Ahh, but it also give those like me, who admired and loved him, the full opportunity to come to his defence. And what easier task could there be in life than defending the kicking skills of Nathan Buckley.

i find it odd that you were ok with an entire season of caustic "fire buckley" threads and you never complained when EVERY single thread on ANY topic was turned into a "blame buckley" thread, and yet, you react so strongly when people suggest he might not have been as strong a kick for goal as he was a field kicker. especially since its the offseason and not many people are on this site and there simply ISNT much to talk about. So dumb!

K 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:28 am

E wrote:
jonmac533 wrote:
E wrote:
and for the record, discussing just how good a kick our greatest ever player was is PRECISELY what we should be endlessly discussing during the off season. isn't that what this board was built for???????

As to the highlighted you would have to ask chief but from my point of view no board should be a vehicle for petty nitpicking and snide backstabbing of one of our greatest ever players camouflaged as a reasoned inquiry.

Ahh, but it also give those like me, who admired and loved him, the full opportunity to come to his defence. And what easier task could there be in life than defending the kicking skills of Nathan Buckley.

i find it odd that you were ok with an entire season of caustic "fire buckley" threads and you never complained when EVERY single thread on ANY topic was turned into a "blame buckley" thread, and yet, you react so strongly when people suggest he might not have been as strong a kick for goal as he was a field kicker. especially since its the offseason and not many people are on this site and there simply ISNT much to talk about. So dumb!

I agree that the Buckley-the-coach threads have been (and presumably will continue to be) far worse in tone than any post in this thread. There, there has been vitriol directed at the coach, at those against the coach, at those for the coach, at the previous coach, at those against the previous coach, at those for the previous coach, at the president and the former CEO, at those against...
jonmac533 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:27 am

E wrote:
jonmac533 wrote:
E wrote:
...and even if you pass a ball perfectly to the advantage of Drew Gooden, this is no guaranty he is going to get it.

recall that for many years he played in those crappy tony shaw sides. not sure he would have had much option than to try to make a perfect pass.

I am 100% certain that buks would be considered the elite kick of the competition, even if he played today.

No bullshit skepticism will change my view of that.

I will concede he didn't always kick the goal when he was on the run through 50 (and at least a few times I remember thinking he should have made that because we needed it badly). I don't remember getting similarly upset when Burns or Williams missed those same shots.

I also don't get upset when some of our young guys miss on the run from 50.

his goal kicking is judged by a high standard.

You wouldn't find it odd if you had spent the last 7 years reading the same old regurgitated rubbish from the same old malcontents, both here and on BF. You wouldn't find it odd if you had tried to talk reason to those with agendas for 5 years. You wouldn't find it odd if you had watched those malcontents win their own dedicated threads - presumably to contain their vitriol within some reasonable bounds - only to watch them continue to disrupt every thread - as before, with no discernible consequences - with their Bukley hate.
No you wouldn't find it odd at all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10   

Jump to: