Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Was Buckley really a good kick?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these constant calls to shut down threads one doesn't like are absurd. Normally, threads are shut down if their contents threaten to become libellous, or if they degenerate into Nicksters abusing one another. Neither of those scenarios applies here.

I believe that this thread has expressed almost unanimously the view that Buckley was a truly magnificent field kick (with possibly one or two contrarians). Why then does the thread bother you so much? What is so embarrassing about virtually unanimous agreement?

I think a couple of interesting topics have popped up from this thread. One is that quite a lot of people (Buckley lovers, not haters) seem to believe that, although he was a great field kick, he was not such a good set shot (at goal). I disagree with that opinion! I'm curious to know why they think that he wasn't so reliable in kicking for goal. Was this opinion really formed entirely from watching him play? Or were they swayed by an incorrect reading of some stats?

Last edited by K on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Woods wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Mods - please close this ridiculous thread down. For a supposed Collingwood Fansite, it is utterly embarrassing.

Seconded.

Those in favour?

+1 You wonder who these people really support?
E 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:40 pm

K wrote:
I think these constant calls to shut down threads one doesn't like are absurd. Normally, threads are shut down if their contents threaten to become libellous, or if they degenerate into Nicksters abusing one another. Neither of those scenarios applies here.

I believe that this thread has expressed almost unanimously the view that Buckley was a truly magnificent field kick (with possibly one or two contrarians). Why then does the thread bother you so much? What is so embarrassing about virtually unanimous agreement?

I think a couple of interesting topics have popped up from this thread. One is that quite a lot of people (Buckley lovers, not haters) seem to believe that, although he was a great field kick, he was not such a good set shot (at goal). I disagree with that opinion! I'm curious to know why they think that he wasn't so reliable in kicking for goal. Was this opinion really formed entirely from watching him play? Or were they swayed by an incorrect reading of some stats?

i must admit, that as a fan of Buckley in his playing days, i can recall many occasions when he went streaming into goal and from 50 metres out on the run he would.... miss it. I think my expectations were so high about Nathan buckley (god like almost) that it was incomprehensible to me that he would ever fail at anytihng.

So his misses stick out to me a lot more than the misses of other players (whose lack of perfection i seemed to expect).

Its a whole expectation thing. No different to the expectations we set for top 10 draft picks vs rookie selections. If Jack watts was a number 50 pick and not a number 1 pick, i wonder how we would view his career. for example.

now having said that, i almost don't recall a time when he ever made a mistake with his field kicking. It was such a rare thing. Could you imagine him playing in today's game. Wow, what a weapon he would be. what a player!

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:52 pm

K wrote:

He wasn't a poor kick at goal rather he was just not as accurate as his field kicking.

When Bucks missed goals it was usually 50m+ on the run and the misses were all close rarely sprayed it.

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:52 pm

K wrote:

He wasn't a poor kick at goal rather he was just not as accurate as his field kicking.

When Bucks missed goals it was usually 50m+ on the run and the misses were all close rarely sprayed it.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:53 pm

Amazed this thread has run for so long.
My point was he was an ordinary kick at goal.
The stats show it.
My other point was he often missed his target when field kicking over the 50 to 60 m distance. Being one of the few players who could kick this distance with a long and spearing kick the punters often got giddy heads by watching the lovely kicking action and forgot to see whether it hit the target.
The problem is there is no stats to back up his field kicking accuracy either from me or you.
jonmac533 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:34 pm

dead horse
stop flogging it

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:17 pm

jonmac533 wrote:
dead horse
stop flogging it

+1
npalm 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:31 pm

+2
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:09 pm

+3
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:24 pm

+ 4
The Weed 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:34 pm

masoncox wrote:
Amazed this thread has run for so long.
The stats show it.
My other point was he often missed his target when field kicking over the 50 to 60 m distance. Being one of the few players who could kick this distance with a long and spearing kick the punters often got giddy heads by watching the lovely kicking action and forgot to see whether it hit the target.
The problem is there is no stats to back up his field kicking accuracy either from me or you.

Dead flog, stop horsing it
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:03 am

masoncox wrote:
Amazed this thread has run for so long. [1]
The stats show it. [2]
My other point was he often missed his target when field kicking over the 50 to 60 m distance. Being one of the few players who could kick this distance with a long and spearing kick the punters often got giddy heads by watching the lovely kicking action and forgot to see whether it hit the target. [3]
The problem is there is no stats to back up his field kicking accuracy either from me or you. [4]

[1] That seems partly because every now and then a Nickster will come upon it for the first time, perhaps not having visited Nick's for a long time, and will make a comment. It's also partly because discussion moved from the titular question to related issues that came up. A question: is your work colleague a Pies supporter?

[2] No, the stats do not show that. The stats that are readily available don't make a clear case for or against the hypothesis about his goal kicking.

[3] Can you clarify what you mean by "missed his target"? Do you mean going straight to an opponent (a clanger)? Or do you mean going to no one at all, friend or foe, e.g. bouncing in no-man's land and dribbling out of play? Or do you expect a 60m kick to go directly to a teammate with no opponent anywhere near him?

[4] There actually are at least some stats. The mob currently in charge have collected data on effective disposals, effective kicks, and effective handballs since 1999. It's possible that whichever mob did it before then also collected similar data, but I don't know. It is a problem that they play Mr. Scrooge with the data and just drip-feed bits of it to the public. Ultimately, this is detrimental to the game. The AFL owns half of that company, so this is a disgraceful situation, showing once more that the AFL is fixated by the desire for short-term financial gain instead of the long-term health of the game.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:44 am

...and even if you pass a ball perfectly to the advantage of Drew Gooden, this is no guaranty he is going to get it.

recall that for many years he played in those crappy tony shaw sides. not sure he would have had much option than to try to make a perfect pass.

I am 100% certain that buks would be considered the elite kick of the competition, even if he played today.

No bullshit skepticism will change my view of that.

I will concede he didn't always kick the goal when he was on the run through 50 (and at least a few times I remember thinking he should have made that because we needed it badly). I don't remember getting similarly upset when Burns or Williams missed those same shots.

I also don't get upset when some of our young guys miss on the run from 50.

his goal kicking is judged by a high standard.

and for the record, discussing just how good a kick our greatest ever player was is PRECISELY what we should be endlessly discussing during the off season. isn't that what this board was built for???????

jonmac533 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:53 am

E wrote:
...and even if you pass a ball perfectly to the advantage of Drew Gooden, this is no guaranty he is going to get it.

recall that for many years he played in those crappy tony shaw sides. not sure he would have had much option than to try to make a perfect pass.

I am 100% certain that buks would be considered the elite kick of the competition, even if he played today.

No bullshit skepticism will change my view of that.

I will concede he didn't always kick the goal when he was on the run through 50 (and at least a few times I remember thinking he should have made that because we needed it badly). I don't remember getting similarly upset when Burns or Williams missed those same shots.

I also don't get upset when some of our young guys miss on the run from 50.

his goal kicking is judged by a high standard.

and for the record, discussing just how good a kick our greatest ever player was is PRECISELY what we should be endlessly discussing during the off season. isn't that what this board was built for???????

As to the highlighted you would have to ask chief but from my point of view no board should be a vehicle for petty nitpicking and snide backstabbing of one of our greatest ever players camouflaged as a reasoned inquiry.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10   

Jump to: