Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Was Buckley really a good kick?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckley could hit targets with either foot and do it over distances exceeding 50m.

In his prime I can't think of a better field kick.

His goal kicking wasn't at the same elite standard I agree but it's a different skill to a field kick both in execution and the psychology at play.

It must be remembered to he often produced shots on goal from long range that would skew the results.

Unlike a forward fatigue would play more a part for a midfielder also.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:13 pm

OP has already proven that stats don't work for this determination: Langdon kicking at 83% efficiency. Do you know who was even better, pretty much our most efficient kick? Jack Frost. He's not a good kick though and Langdon is not a great one.

Buckley was a great kick of the footy, we saw it and there are no stats that can disprove it.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:25 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:

Buckley was a great kick of the footy, we saw it and there are no stats that can disprove it.

There are no field stats full stop. Pity. The only relevant stats show he was an ordinary shot on goal. We all know that he could kick the ball long, low and hard. A rare skill....the question remains was his accuracy great. I say no and so do a few others.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:40 pm

Well you and a few others are entitled to your opinions.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:49 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Well you and a few others are entitled to your opinions.

Thankyou for that. And so is every other opinion on this thread.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:55 pm

masoncox wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

There are no field stats full stop. Pity. The only relevant stats show he was an ordinary shot on goal. We all know that he could kick the ball long, low and hard. A rare skill....the question remains was his accuracy great. I say no and so do a few others.

Your goal stats are incomplete as they don't separate set shots. He wasn't a great shot on goal, but far from bad. A bit like Pendles. His field kicking was excellent. Efficiency stats, even if they were available, would mean nothing just as they don't mean much for Langdon or Frost.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:35 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
masoncox wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

Your goal stats are incomplete as they don't separate set shots. He wasn't a great shot on goal, but far from bad. A bit like Pendles. His field kicking was excellent. Efficiency stats, even if they were available, would mean nothing just as they don't mean much for Langdon or Frost.

Not quite right.
Disposal efficiency overall includes handballs and kicks that travel a small distance. So if you handball 5 m and kick 20m then your stats are going to be high. It is why Frost and Langdon have good stats. Buckley kicked long and hard which was a rare feat. But did he hit the target on a regular basis. This is the unanswered question. Proper stats if recorded right would answer this question.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:22 pm

Langdon has good stats because he's a beautiful kick.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:35 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Langdon has good stats because he's a beautiful kick.

For whatever reason, in relative terms, Langdon is kicking it less and less and handballing it more and more each year.
99:111 in 2017, 49:47 in 2016.
If he really is a beautiful kick, he should kick more often.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:49 am

masoncox wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
masoncox wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

Not quite right.
Disposal efficiency overall includes handballs and kicks that travel a small distance. So if you handball 5 m and kick 20m then your stats are going to be high. It is why Frost and Langdon have good stats. Buckley kicked long and hard which was a rare feat. But did he hit the target on a regular basis. This is the unanswered question. Proper stats if recorded right would answer this question.

You've raised the topic and asked for discussion.

You have adopted a non-traditional stance and you've used your stats on goal kicking which sways your thinking from your original feelings that Bucks was a great kick. That's your right to do so. You've made your opinions known.

Others have given you dissenting opinions about your proposition - there is a strong consensus that Bucks was a great kick but also not so reliable as a set shot. I'm in this camp and would argue that Pendlebury is a bit the same today. Pendlebury was not as penetrating with his field kicking as Buckley though and takes set shots only from closer in than Buckley was prepared to attempt. I rate Buckley a better footballer and kick than Pendlebury FWIW.

I think this discussion has now run its course though.

glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:51 am

I believe Buckley was a good kick, but I also think a lot of the reputation comes from the fact it was an aesthetically pleasing kick. It was direct low and spun well off the boot - he also had a style that commentators and fellow footballers liked to point at.
I was never a huge fan of Buckley - I felt the team was too Buckley aware and the game plan too Buckley aware - it made us predictable. Did it cost us games? - I dunno we made plenty of grand final appearances while he was there.
I was always a fan of players like Swanny - less conventional but more effective.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:28 am

glasseyevfx wrote:
I believe Buckley was a good kick, but I also think a lot of the reputation comes from the fact it was an aesthetically pleasing kick. It was direct low and spun well off the boot - he also had a style that commentators and fellow footballers liked to point at.
I was never a huge fan of Buckley - I felt the team was too Buckley aware and the game plan too Buckley aware - it made us predictable. Did it cost us games? - I dunno we made plenty of grand final appearances while he was there.
I was always a fan of players like Swanny - less conventional but more effective.

FFS will you LOOK at the team lists when Buckley was playing!!!
Buckley WAS Collingwood as far as talent was concerned - the rest, loyal servants and hard workers though they were were just soldiers.
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:46 am

yeah well I guess we should have just played Buckley seeing as all the other players just got in his way
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:34 pm

glasseyevfx wrote:
yeah well I guess we should have just played Buckley seeing as all the other players just got in his way

Well your Buckley hate has obviously taken over your judgement in this matter - and I presume any matters relating to Buckley.
Pointless replying to you.
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:49 pm

I never said I hated Buckley - in fact I support his reappointment. I just don't think he is the messiah
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10   

Jump to: