Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Was Buckley really a good kick?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

5 from the wing on debut wrote:

Buckley was an elite field kick but not so reliable close to goals. I don't care about the stats, that's what I remember. Buckley's kicking - or decision making - to my knowledge first came under fire after the drawn Anzac Day game when he kicked to Sav, who had about 10 by that stage but also 3 opponents on him, rather than running slightly further and kicking for goal. Can't blame him for kicking to a bloke that was on fire though.

Yes, decision-making skill is different from kicking skill. On the kick to Sav, the claim was not that he should have kicked for goal but that Mick McGuane was lurking in the goal-square. McGuane is quoted as saying: "Obviously that centre clearance was important.
"Probably the longer option was the better option, but that's decision-making at that level.
"I was working behind Rocca, basically in the goal square. The longer entry at that stage would have been better than the shorter one, but that's the pressure of the game."

I don't know if McGuane was on his own or had his man right on him, though, which obviously makes a huge difference.

I've always agreed with Buckley's claim in self-defence that he'd have had to kick it 70 metres to goal. He gathers the ball behind the centre circle, runs and has one bounce, and when he kicks it he's still well inside the centre square. At that point, there's an opponent in front and one bearing down on his right. Watch for yourself from 5:42 at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONk-4qdWeuQ .
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:11 pm

My work colleague still states that Buckley missed numerous targets with his long kicks. He said a third hit the target a third missed the target and a third hit a contest. No proper stats are available to back this assumption up. My memory was that he missed a lot of targets. To solve this could someone watch all of his games on tape and do the stats. I reckon you should have an answer by christmas.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:44 pm

masoncox wrote:
My work colleague still states that Buckley missed numerous targets with his long kicks. He said a third hit the target a third missed the target and a third hit a contest. No proper stats are available to back this assumption up. My memory was that he missed a lot of targets. To solve this could someone watch all of his games on tape and do the stats. I reckon you should have an answer by christmas.

Just ask your mate to do it between brain surgeries and designing rockets.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:50 pm

ronrat wrote:
masoncox wrote:

Just ask your mate to do it between brain surgeries and designing rockets.

What are the stats of brain surgery solving this issue...about zero. It is a bit like Sidebottom. All media commentators state over and over and over again that Sidebottom is a wonderful kick.Yet, plenty of Nicksters just whinge and whine about his little dinky di kicks. Who is right.???????
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:16 pm
Post subject: Re: Was Buckley really a good kick?Reply with quote

masoncox wrote:
I was having a discussion with a work colleague this morning about Buckley's kicking. The general consensus with most posters was he was a great kick. My work colleague disagreed, he said although he could kick the ball long and flat, he oftened missed his target and he told me to check his statistics re goal to behind kicking ratio over his career. So I did.
In his career Buckley had a ratio of 284 to 262 which to me was pretty poor. I then checked a few other players. Lockett was 1360 to 590, Pendlebury was 157 to 96, Sidebottom was 139 to 90 and then I checked Patrick Dangerfield who is considered a poor kick at goal and he was going at 232 to 171. Clearly if it was goal shooting only Buckley would be considered very poorly. It is all about perception. Langdon to most posters is a lousy disposal of the ball yet he led the disposal efficiency this year at 83.8% at collingwood.

Poor thread. Are you talking:

goal accuracy?
field kicking efficiency?

A great kick is a generic notion......

hermie Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:22 pm

this is close to the worst thing I have read here to date, comparing Buckley to modern day players is insane,pendles and the current day players kick mostly to an uncontested player yet the player of the 90s and early 2000s kicked to a one on one most of the time..even Collingwood haters admit he was an excellent kick
Jamesy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:34 pm

Buck's was a brilliant field kick, but also missed his fair-share in front of goal. The man was a beast for us as a player, outstanding. Swanny is the only player that has perhaps equaled Buck's on output in the last 25-30 years. We've had some great players in the last 30 years, but these two are the best of the lot.

Whether Nathan can bring us Premiership glory, Gee whiz, I dunno.....

Go the Pies!
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:11 am

Gee whiz. In 50 years of watching the Pies i would rate Greening, Price,Millane and Buckley as pretty close to the best field kickers. There were differences. Price had McKenna and in those days forwards played one on one. Greening had McKenna and well himself. Millane had Brown and Daicos (and Barwick) who both could be even more dangerous on the ground and for a time he had Brian Taylor . Buckley had a bunch of hacks and really never had the opportunities to have passes honoured until Anthony Rocca turned up and of course Sav and then we made 2 grand finals.The OP can tell his mate not not to give up his day job unless he is Slobbo.

And references to Sidebottom are just as inane. Premiership player and unlucky not to win a Norm Smith and Copeland winner. His dinky kicks are a result of not having a reliablle lead and he does not want to turn the ball over in the middle of the ground. Get Tom Lynch and another KPF and we will see the changes.

The only similarities are that both have been called on to plug holes all the frickin time.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:24 am

His field kicking was brilliant, my only issue was that he'd sometimes drill a 25m pass with the same force as a 60m one, either taking the player's head off or skidding through their hands. I thought his goal kicking was a bit hit and miss but that would have a lot to do with shooting many from outside 50 and on the burst. Degree of difficulty would certainly be a factor.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:41 am

ronrat wrote:

And references to Sidebottom are just as inane.

The only similarities are that both have been called on to plug holes all the frickin time.

The issue is not about sidebottom per se. It is about perception. Clearly some people think sidebottom is a great kick and some think he is a crap kick. This thread is about perception and are stats a valid or available to help with understanding this issue.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:00 am

Buckley was one of the top three field-kicks of the last 50 years. It doesn't actually matter what the stats say. At some point, you're just flogging a dead horse.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:46 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Buckley was one of the top three field-kicks of the last 50 years. It doesn't actually matter what the stats say. At some point, you're just flogging a dead horse.

Yep Cool

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:09 am

Skids wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Yep Cool

+ 3 Cool

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:49 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Skids wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Yep Cool

+ 3 Cool

Tru dat.
Luigitheunbelievable 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:58 pm

Hi Folks.
+4
Regards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10   

Jump to: