Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Was Buckley really a good kick?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ev5Magpies Virgo

Ev5Magpies

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What does his goal kicking accuracy have to do with his field kicking skills?

By far Buckley was an exceptional field kick. His goal kicking as some pointed out wasn't the best, but quite easily he was the best field kick going round in his time.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:56 pm

A great kick means a great kick ..... it would include both field and goal kicking. That goal kicking stat is pretty weird for a guy who most claim to be a great kick.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:02 pm

The stats of his goal kicking accuracy over his career ( 284 to 262 as stated by the OP) is one thing, but I'd want to see some breakdown of that before passing judgement - set shots, long bombs, tapped through for behinds all of this affects the tally sheet. And also were there periods, maybe early on in his Pies career, when he was not at his best kicking for goal? And conversely, did his goal kicking form drop off towards the end through those hammies playing up? All these things can skew the career goal kicking average.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:46 pm

ALL I know is, I wish we had a guy like him now, in our mids, with his undoubted class, and ability to bring others into the game, Treloar and TA are great players, but Bucks, at his best, was truly elite.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:51 pm

Peter McKenna was, bar absolutely none, the best kick I ever saw for goal play for any club. Even his career accuracy (measured by goals as a proportion of total shots that registered a score) was only 65% over his career. That's slightly better than Darren Jarman's record. Buckley's career accuracy varied, depending on where he played and how he was used. So, late in his career when he played more forward, his accuracy was over 60%.

By way of comparison, if one looks at Daicos' record, he frequently kicked more points than goals in a season when he was playing predominantly as a mid. Thus, his career accuracy was a whisker over 60% but if you take out years when he played predominantly forward (eg, 1981, 1990 to 1993), his record looks about like Buckley's. I think we can all agree that a midfielder kicking about as well for goal as Daicos did when he played as a mid is just about "good enough".

He did tend to kick long and low over vast distances and, consequently, scored points with kicks from places where most others' efforts would have fallen short or been rushed through.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:56 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
ALL I know is, I wish we had a guy like him now, in our mids, with his undoubted class, and ability to bring others into the game, Treloar and TA are great players, but Bucks, at his best, was truly elite.

He was a great player - and there's no doubt that he's better than guys like those (ranked, as they are, by good judges like Buckenara as B or C graders). In my respectful opinion, Pendlebury is a better midfielder than Buckley but that's only because Pendlebury is the third player I would pick in a Collingwood team, out of all the players I've seen, after Carman and Greening.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:01 pm

Woods wrote:
The stats of his goal kicking accuracy over his career ( 284 to 262 as stated by the OP) is one thing, but I'd want to see some breakdown of that before passing judgement - set shots, long bombs, tapped through for behinds all of this affects the tally sheet. And also were there periods, maybe early on in his Pies career, when he was not at his best kicking for goal? And conversely, did his goal kicking form drop off towards the end through those hammies playing up? All these things can skew the career goal kicking average.

His goal kicking over his career
93 21 to 26
94 22 to 21
95 13 to 18
96 29 to 16
97 20 to 15
98 18 to 19
99 21 to 08
00 29 to 34
01 14 to 15
02 15 to 19
03 22 to 23
04 12 to 10
05 20 to 14
06 26 to 15

So you can see there was no clear time when he was on target, His later years with his hammie problems wasn't any different from his early or mid years.
As for your other stats I don't think they exist. But if they do throw them up here.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:07 pm

^^^ Well, that's not correct, as I posted earlier. 46.29 in 05 and 06 when he played more up forward is a perfectly good return. The comparison with Daicos when Daicos was playing on the ball is the start and end of this argument.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:10 pm

most of his years were obviously played as a midfielder, his last couple they were throwing him forward more due to his hammies - which looks apparent looking at the 05/06 data above.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:14 pm

That is something I haven't heard of. But not all of them?
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:38 pm

Most of his shots for goal were on the run or in general play, I would suggest that not a high percentage of set shots which would obviously hurt the conversion percentage.

He was a great kick of the football.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:41 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^^^ Well, that's not correct, as I posted earlier. 46.29 in 05 and 06 when he played more up forward is a perfectly good return. The comparison with Daicos when Daicos was playing on the ball is the start and end of this argument.

Nah
Daicos goal kicking stats for his last 3 years playing up forward.

90 97 to 46
91 75 to 28
92 52 to 31

Clearly Daicos was a far better kick at goal than Buckley.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:05 pm

masoncox wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Nah
Daicos goal kicking stats for his last 3 years playing up forward.

90 97 to 46
91 75 to 28
92 52 to 31

Clearly Daicos was a far better kick at goal than Buckley.

Goes without saying - Would select Daicos above Bucks every day of the week.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:11 pm

masoncox, I'm not sure whether you're being deliberately obtuse or trying to get a rise out of people. You'll get no opposition from anyone much, ever, that Daicos' forward play was way better than Buckley's. My point was, rather, that when you look at the time Daicos spent in the midfield over his career, his goal-kicking percentage as a mid wasn't much different from Buckley's. So much should be evident from his dramatic improvement in conversion over the three years you've extracted. In fact, in his last stint up forward, Daics kicked 234 (to the end of his career in 1993) of his career goals. Have a look, though at, eg, 1979, 1980, 1983 or 1984. There, he's around 50/50.
mudlark 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:27 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
I WILL take the last word on this from the late Bob Rose, whom many think was the Magpies greatest ever player. On Bucks, just before he passed away, Rose said, in his opinion, Buckley is the greatest player HE ever saw play for the PIes, end of story. This is fact.

I think nothing more needs to be said except that it is a stupid thread and your mate wouldn't know horse crap from clay!!1 Just saying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10   

Jump to: