Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

My Mayne question

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

ronrat wrote:
Quote:

The clubs sought advice from the AFL's Ken Wood over the salary dump suggestion. The league rejected the proposal in part because they did not want to make a ruling on the run on a move that would set a precedent for what was acceptable.

The league indicated they were not opposed to the idea but wanted to have discussed it with all clubs first and declared the move an option for clubs prior to the trade period.

I suspect a lot of this was an issue because of the Buddy Franklin uber deal. The other clubs may have issues with Sydney dumping the last few years of his contract on someone elses cap and then pulling the same stunt for say Jeremy Cameron. The league will only allow this when they are satisfied that their love children oop north can use it to advantage.

I think Sydney could still try that, because some other club might be willing to take an old Buddy for a reduced price, i.e. Sydney could hope that they won't have to give a draft pick in addition to Buddy. The draft pick is the new feature and the bone of contention. The rest appears to have been done in the past.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:55 am

In contrast to the explored Mayne salary dumping, Melbourne did the now somewhat standard thing with the Watts trade: They are paying about 15% of the contract for Watts's next two years, but of course got pick 31 in return.

Quote:
Simply put, a trade wouldn't have happened if they hadn't agreed to help Port foot the bill for the contracted 153-game veteran.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/melbourne-demons-ceo-peter-jackson-defends-paying-jack-watts-to-play-for-port-adelaide-20171024-gz7g41.html
mudlark 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:13 am

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
With absolutely no evidence on which to base my supposition, I'm tipping he will come good next year.

Maybe our eagerness convinced him he could just walk in to the team as the messiah and 2017 was a big reality check.

I'm sure if he was given as many chances as Smith,Blair,Broomhead and Ramsay then he may have had a fighting chance to "Come good". His game in the VFL prelim final gave us a glimpse of how good he can be.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:43 am

No, it didn’t. He’s too slow for the AFL.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:51 am

K wrote:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwood-explored-trading-chris-mayne-back-to-fremantle-20171024-gz79r0.html

Quote:

Collingwood explored ending their ill-fated recruitment of Chris Mayne by trading the forward back to Fremantle after just one year.

Under the proposal, the Magpies would have given up a prized draft pick as long as the Dockers footed most of the $1.5 million Mayne is due to be paid over the remaining three years of his contract.

In exchange Collingwood would have paid Fremantle in kind with a high draft pick – a future second-round pick was tentatively raised – to get the money out of their salary cap. The approach, called "salary dumping", is common in American sports.

The clubs sought advice from the AFL's Ken Wood over the salary dump suggestion. The league rejected the proposal in part because they did not want to make a ruling on the run on a move that would set a precedent for what was acceptable.

The league indicated they were not opposed to the idea but wanted to have discussed it with all clubs first and declared the move an option for clubs prior to the trade period.

Fremantle, by that point, had decided they were not keen to pursue the trade figuring that Mayne no longer fitted the profile of the Dockers. Consequently neither club tried to fight the AFL's ruling.

It is why I shake my head with what is happening to this Club.
Who is going to take responsibility for what has gone on of late?
mudlark 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:51 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

I hate to be the one who breaks the news to you, but not EVERYONE is a speedster. Some people have other talents.Marking being one, kicking being one,Tackling being one.On the other hand you have Sinclair.He's quick.He get's the ball and then!!!! Kicks it straight to the opposition. Funny HUH???
billy_picken25 Cancer

billy_picken25

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Mayne is part of Collingwood.
We need to give him the opportunity to go around again,
wish him all the best for 2018.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:29 pm

mudlark wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

I hate to be the one who breaks the news to you, but not EVERYONE is a speedster. Some people have other talents.Marking being one, kicking being one,Tackling being one.On the other hand you have Sinclair.He's quick.He get's the ball and then!!!! Kicks it straight to the opposition. Funny HUH???

I didn't say he was a bit slow-ish, like, say, Cox. I said he was too slow for AFL football. Watching him chase is a little like trying to discern glacial advancement down a fjord. Unless he suddenly develops 2 yards of leg-speed (at least), he cannot play useful football at AFL level.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:11 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
mudlark wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

I hate to be the one who breaks the news to you, but not EVERYONE is a speedster. Some people have other talents.Marking being one, kicking being one, Tackling being one. ...

I didn't say he was a bit slow-ish, like, say, Cox. I said he was too slow for AFL football. Watching him chase is a little like trying to discern glacial advancement down a fjord. Unless he suddenly develops 2 yards of leg-speed (at least), he cannot play useful football at AFL level.

If it's true that, as claimed previously in this forum, Buckley was shocked this year at how slow Mayne was, then that's bad news on multiple levels... How is it possible for a club to recruit anyone and be shocked by any aspect of his football?
MOTR 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:13 pm

I’m sure this is about payments directly to the club.

Nothing to do with salary paid to the player.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:08 pm

MOTR wrote:
I’m sure this is about payments directly to the club.

Nothing to do with salary paid to the player.

MOTR, I'm not really sure what you mean by "this" (the proposed Mayne deal, or other deals?) and "directly to the club"...

But how past & current deals work is something like the following. Take Heath Shaw for instance. His salary was reportedly $3.5million over 5 years, of which we paid $210,000 over the first 3 years. Assume for simplicity his salary was evenly spread out. Then, in each of the first three years, he was paid $700,000, of which CFC paid $70,000 and GWS paid $630,000. The $70k counted in CFC's salary cap, and the $630k counted in GWS's salary cap. This deal was approved by Ken Wood, the AFL's salary-cap auditor.

Something similar will happen between Port and Melbourne as part of the Watts trade.

And something similar would have happened in the proposed trade of Mayne back to Freo. But, unlike Shaw and Watts, whose former clubs received a player or draft pick in return, Mayne is unfortunately sufficiently unattractive that his club would also have to give a draft pick. It's this last aspect that has not yet been approved by the AFL.

Just paying a club money directly, i.e. with no connection to the player's salary, has never been allowed.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:59 pm

On the AFL website it has this snippet at the end of the Sinclair announcement.
Quote:
A decision on the future of Chris Mayne is yet to be made, with the first list lodgment to take place on Tuesday.
themonk 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:25 pm

Culprit wrote:
On the AFL website it has this snippet at the end of the Sinclair announcement.
Quote:
A decision on the future of Chris Mayne is yet to be made, with the first list lodgment to take place on Tuesday.

so we are negotiating with Chris for an early release?
K 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:44 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
The compensation formula produces a points rating for players based on:

1. The new contract of the free agent;
2. The age of the free agent.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/free-agency

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-07/revealed-what-it-takes-to-earn-firstround-free-agency-compensation-

The AFL aren’t exactly transparent on the “formula” if there is in fact one which leads to confusion: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/steven-motlop-draft-compensation-geelong-gets-first-round-pick-history-of-afl-free-agency-draft-compensation/news-story/57cb920b31ec9702891e03db6d4c9e38

"In 2015, the compensation formula changed. It meant that a club would only receive first round compensation if the player’s new contract ranked them in the top five per cent of earners aged 25 and older.

Since then, only six players have earned their former clubs draft compensation. The highest pick received was for Chris Mayne’s move to Collingwood. Fremantle received second round compensation of Pick 25."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-afl-s-secret-formula-for-free-agency-compensation-20180221-p4z16j

Quote:
The AFL's secret formula for free agency compensation

... a secret formula that The Age can reveal in detail – the so-called ‘‘secret herbs and spices’’ which also renders the length of contract largely irrelevant to the draft pick that teams get for losing a free agent.

Key components of the compensation system include:■A free agent paid $2 million over two years will be ranked higher on the compensation table than one who is paid $3.5 million over four years. The length of contract is only a ‘‘tie-breaker’’ if annual salary is equal to another player. The contract must be at least two years.

■The compensation is based entirely on guaranteed money, or the ‘‘base’’ salary, with incentive-based payments counting for nothing. A player who is paid $500,000 a season, who can make $800,000 with incentives, is ranked on the basis of a $500,000 contract.It was this factor - plus the player’s age - that meant North Melbourne received only a second-round pick for star Daniel Wells, even though Wells can make more than $1.5 million over his three-year contract.

His base is less than $500,000 a season and he was 31 when he signed with Collingwood.

■The key to the formula is a ranking system, in which every player in the AFL aged 25 or older is placed in order, based on the size of their (guaranteed) contract.

The highest-paid players are ranked at 100 points, the lowest at 0.

The AFL then allocates up to 12 additional points for a player’s age. At 25 (as of October 31), a player receives the maximum of 12 points, a 26-year-old earns another 10 points, 27-year-olds gain another 8, 28 brings 6 and so forth, with a 30-year-old worth just 2 extra points.

Second-round picks - which Tyrone Vickery and Chris Mayne netted Richmond and Fremantle respectively in 2016 - are for free agents in the 15-30 band. End of second round is for those ranked in the 30-50 per cent group.

The AFL has deliberately avoided letting the clubs know the compensation formula, in part because of concerns that it will be manipulated
GazMan 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:29 pm

Much the same as 'WhyPhilWhy', i have a feeling that Mayne will be somewhat of a pleasant surprise to us all in 2018. I just reckon his natural pride and competitiveness will break through. Lets not dismiss his days at Freo when for quite some time, he couldn't miss a kick for goal and his forward pressure was second to none.

I'm also going to throw Aish into the same conversation, he too in my opinion will have albeit a long overdue serious break out season. If i'm wrong in my hope for these two, then i'll humbly bow down to the many Nickster pundits that have written them off.

I've bet myself a nice Pad Thai on them succeeding so i hope i'm right Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8   

Jump to: