Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

My Mayne question

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
With absolutely no evidence on which to base my supposition, I'm tipping he will come good next year.

Maybe our eagerness convinced him he could just walk in to the team as the messiah and 2017 was a big reality check.

ah, but was he at the copeland?

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:46 am

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Quote:
With absolutely no evidence on which to base my supposition, I'm tipping he will come good next year.

so as well as Schrodinger's coach we have Schrodinger's player...
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:43 pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/list-experts-believe-collingwood-should-offload-chris-mayne-in-bid-to-free-up-salary-cap-room/news-story/dfa07186569fc617de7f5a893858a48d
E 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:27 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/list-experts-believe-collingwood-should-offload-chris-mayne-in-bid-to-free-up-salary-cap-room/news-story/dfa07186569fc617de7f5a893858a48d

i guess i am now a list expert. I am expert in a lot of things. Lets just add list expert to the list. jesus christ the media is pathetic.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:36 pm

E wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

i guess i am now a list expert. I am expert in a lot of things. Lets just add list expert to the list. jesus christ the media is pathetic.

I think the novel (for the AFL) element proposed in the article is that we give draft picks, i.e. we're not just offloading the player, we're giving club X the player plus a desirable draft pick, just to give ourselves salary-cap space.
gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 pm

E wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

When you're done with the self praise, maybe you could explain to us how that article agrees with your initial suggestion???

You suggested we offload Mayne and pay some of his salary, but then it doesn't take up any of our cap space.
This is wrong. We still pay it in our cap. Just as Melbourne had to count Woewodin in theirs when they payed a portion of his salary for us. Regardless of where a player plays, or doesn't play, if money comes out of your account to a player, no matter where he plays or doesn't play then it goes in your salary cap. Just as Brisbane payed Voss for two years after he retired.

The articles suggestion is enirely different to yours, they are suggesting that a club be able to trade a player, plus a pick in order for that new club to take on that players whole salary. At this stage this is technically not 100% illegal, but has never been trialed in our system. It would intend on an integrity officers interpretation of the laws around transferring of funds for draft picks which is illegal. The articles suggestion was that the AFL make this concept legal.

Two totally different concepts. At this stage only one of them is a possibility and even then it's not guaranteed that it could be allowed.
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:00 pm

This is a common practice in the NBA - where albatross contracts are packaged with draft picks or young prospects as enticement to take the contract of the books.

It's arguably part of the reason there is less financial responsibility shown in the NBA as it is reasonably easy to rid yourself of a poor contract to a rebuilding team.

Granted with only 15 roster spots (+2 2 way spots now) and the range of salaries (minimum/rookie scale through to max and super max) it's easier to do than it would be in the AFL.
Bay Pie 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:28 pm

Can finally put to bed the BS that has been bandied about that we gave Mayne a 4 year deal @ $500k p.a?

Mayne deal got Freo band 3 compo=2nd round pick

Vickery deal @ $500k p.a. over 3 years=$1.5M=Band 3 being 2nd round pick
Wells deal @ $500k p.a. over years=$1.5M=Band 3 being 2nd round pick

Now we have Motlop with a 4 year deal @ $500k p.a.=band 2 compo being end of 1st round pick.

So finally people will understand, that while it's still overs, the deal was 4 years @ $400k p.a.=$1.6M=Band 3 compo being 2nd round pick. Freo would have gotten an end of 1st round pick, band 2, if the deal was 4 years @ $500k p.a= $2M.

Compo is based on amount and length of contract. Contracts are far bigger now then they were last year.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:04 pm

The compensation formula produces a points rating for players based on:

1. The new contract of the free agent;
2. The age of the free agent.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/free-agency

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-07/revealed-what-it-takes-to-earn-firstround-free-agency-compensation-

The AFL aren’t exactly transparent on the “formula” if there is in fact one which leads to confusion: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/steven-motlop-draft-compensation-geelong-gets-first-round-pick-history-of-afl-free-agency-draft-compensation/news-story/57cb920b31ec9702891e03db6d4c9e38

"In 2015, the compensation formula changed. It meant that a club would only receive first round compensation if the player’s new contract ranked them in the top five per cent of earners aged 25 and older.

Since then, only six players have earned their former clubs draft compensation. The highest pick received was for Chris Mayne’s move to Collingwood. Fremantle received second round compensation of Pick 25."

Last edited by MightyMagpie on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Bay Pie 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:42 pm

Scott Selwood. 4 years @ $400k p.a. = $1.6M. Band 3 compo. 2nd round pick.

He was 26???

Luigitheunbelievable 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:11 pm

Hi Folks.
I wish some of you people would get off his back. The deal has been done.
The blokes a Collingwood player whether you like it or not.
He is wearing a black and white striped jumper, sometimes a little support and encouragement can work wonders.
I will probably get smashed for saying that, but its what I reckon.
Regards.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:22 pm

Disagree, Luigi. If he was playing for nothing, or unders because of loyalty, he deserves every credit. But he's taking big money and not performing. When you do that, you have to cop criticism. Not slamming you, just disagree with your view.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:32 pm

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwood-explored-trading-chris-mayne-back-to-fremantle-20171024-gz79r0.html

Quote:

Collingwood explored ending their ill-fated recruitment of Chris Mayne by trading the forward back to Fremantle after just one year.

Under the proposal, the Magpies would have given up a prized draft pick as long as the Dockers footed most of the $1.5 million Mayne is due to be paid over the remaining three years of his contract.

In exchange Collingwood would have paid Fremantle in kind with a high draft pick – a future second-round pick was tentatively raised – to get the money out of their salary cap. The approach, called "salary dumping", is common in American sports.

The clubs sought advice from the AFL's Ken Wood over the salary dump suggestion. The league rejected the proposal in part because they did not want to make a ruling on the run on a move that would set a precedent for what was acceptable.

The league indicated they were not opposed to the idea but wanted to have discussed it with all clubs first and declared the move an option for clubs prior to the trade period.

Fremantle, by that point, had decided they were not keen to pursue the trade figuring that Mayne no longer fitted the profile of the Dockers. Consequently neither club tried to fight the AFL's ruling.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:50 pm

Quote:

The clubs sought advice from the AFL's Ken Wood over the salary dump suggestion. The league rejected the proposal in part because they did not want to make a ruling on the run on a move that would set a precedent for what was acceptable.

The league indicated they were not opposed to the idea but wanted to have discussed it with all clubs first and declared the move an option for clubs prior to the trade period.

I suspect a lot of this was an issue because of the Buddy Franklin uber deal. The other clubs may have issues with Sydney dumping the last few years of his contract on someone elses cap and then pulling the same stunt for say Jeremy Cameron.The league will only allow this when they are satisfied that their love children oop north can use it to advantage.

[/quote]
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:23 pm

Well ok...hhmmmm....wow....OMG....This is frustrating!!

I'm still coming to terms with this absolute shamble. This has opened up an old wound, really didnt want to think about this or talk about it.

Soooo, well paid people who had ONE job to do went ahead and got Mayne for an astronomical amount and 1 year down the track they are regretting it!!!

I actually thought Mayne could have been persevered with so as to give him a good chance to prove himself. However it didnt even come to that....just WOW!!!

I suppose people make mistakes but this feels like negligence on our part.
Did we owe someone something at Fremantle!!??

If Murray turns out to be a dud and Swans pick up a beauty with our second rounder....well I dont want to think about it.

Hopefully we pick up a F/S or NGA player with our 2018 third rounder and they become a very very good player.

Rant over

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8   

Jump to: