Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Las Vegas shooting

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Culprit wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
ISIS have claimed responsibility saying he converted to Islam a few months ago. CIA is not buying it at the moment.
FOXNEWS are hoping.

In response to your pictorial link, Brendan O'Neill sums it up best.

Brendan O'Neill wrote:
"My God, the glee online that the Las Vegas shooter is a white man. Fifty people are dead, you ghouls. And this massacre does precisely nothing to soften the horror of Islamic terrorism. This is awful and that is awful too. Also, stop calling things like this terrorism. Not all acts of mass murder are terrorism. Sometimes they are simply acts of mass murder. That's what Vegas looks like at the moment".

Brendan O'Neill wrote:
"The rush to refer to mass shootings like that in Las Vegas as "terrorism" is deeply cynical. It's an attempt to take the heat off radical Islamism, to avert the public's gaze from the serious problem of Islamist terror by saying: "See, all sorts of people can be terrorists. Even white men. Especially white men, in fact." It purposefully dilutes the meaning of the word terrorism, so that it now just means horrible violence rather than ideological violence designed to corrode a society's sense of itself, in order to make us think there is nothing specific or even particularly serious about Islamist terror. It's just violence, like other kinds of violence, like the local weirdo with a gun and a mental problem: nothing to see here, move along. The amount of moral and intellectual energy that is now devoted to downplaying the problem of violent Islamism, and to discouraging frank discussion about it, is extraordinary. It's reached a level where observers respond almost with excitement to mass shootings because they spy in them another chance to distract attention from the Islamist issue"

https://www.facebook.com/brendan.oneill.79

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:07 am

I can keep a secret.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:32 am

I agree with O'Neill on the politicised elasticity of the term terrorism (I don't think this incident qualifies at all, frankly). On the first quote, it goes both ways – I wish I could find the cartoon I once posted with the two stick figures watching the news as updates on a mass shooting come in, with one going "please be Muslim please be Muslim" and the other going "please be white please be white", ending with one of them popping confetti when the identity of the killer is revealed. Kind of a profound comment on human nature, I thought!
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:06 am

Nothing will change in the US, today is another day. They will all pray and light candles and mourn the deaths but many will go out and buy a gun to protect themselves, which I just laugh at but Americans are dumb and are getting dumber. A guy on the 32nd floor on a building with a fully auto weapon shooting at you, good luck trying to shoot him back from ground level, with a revolver over that distance and even getting a shot close to him. It's easy to shoot at targets, it's real hard to shoot at a target that is shooting back at you especially rapid fire.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:37 am

This guy clearly had along standing gun fetish, this wasn't a recent accumulation.

The missing piece at the moment is why he did this? Even lunatics have reasons, even if they only make sense to them. he'd clearly planned this for days if not weeks, he didn't just wake up in a bad mood or have a reaction to drugs or something, this was planned.

massive gambling debts seems most plausible but even then...........something missing from this puzzle.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:09 am

It is critically important for us to know whether we can call this a "terrorist act" or not: if it wasn't, then the "victims" aren't really "injured" or "dead".
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:26 am

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/australia-enjoys-another-peaceful-day-under-oppressive-gun-control-regime/

Australia Enjoys Another Peaceful Day Under Oppressive Gun Control Regime
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:49 am

Culprit wrote:
Nothing will change in the US, today is another day. They will all pray and light candles and mourn the deaths but many will go out and buy a gun to protect themselves, which I just laugh at but Americans are dumb and are getting dumber. A guy on the 32nd floor on a building with a fully auto weapon shooting at you, good luck trying to shoot him back from ground level, with a revolver over that distance and even getting a shot close to him. It's easy to shoot at targets, it's real hard to shoot at a target that is shooting back at you especially rapid fire.

A sweeping Americans are dumb statement does nothing and is incorrect.
In fact if you kill off the republicans, gun control is a no brainer. (Joking of course, but look at the figures)

http://www.pollingreport.com/guns.htm

Every poll points to majority support for at lease tighter gun control.

Unfortunately the NRA is big, rich and influential

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-nra-money-20171003-story.html

Gutless corrupt politicians are the reason. Even Obama disappointed in this area.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:05 pm

<Snip>

The Rules wrote:
Members are asked to respect the copyright of other users, sites, media, etc. Copies of articles from media sites should carry full attribution - author, publisher, date, link. Copies of posts on other bulletin boards should credit the original author and bulletin board. Articles originating on any site published by Telstra (official AFL and club sites) are not to be reposted on this board - post a link to the article instead.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:33 pm

I thought this was a generally very interesting article about the American obsession with guns.

Quote:
AMERICA is the greatest country on earth. Indeed, in terms of sheer power, scale and sphere of influence it is probably the greatest country that has ever been.
No other nation could destroy the world as many times over should it so choose, nor has any other nation so charmed and enthralled the world with all it produces. It conquers its enemies with its armies and colonises them with its culture.
And that is because the United States of America isn’t just a people or a place. It’s an idea. And it is because of that idea that the United States seems determined to literally shoot itself to death.
There is probably no nation on earth whose foundations have been so idealised and mythologised. It was “discovered” by a great explorer so hopelessly lost he thought he had landed in India.
It was colonised by “persecuted” pilgrims who then killed people for witchcraft. And it was enshrined as a nation which cherished “liberty” by men who themselves owned slaves. Even the name America comes from a colourful Italian businessman who may have fabricated the very documents about the New World that now bears his name.
In this sense it was the perfect successor to the first great Western power, Rome — a city which was established as a haven for criminals and rogues and populated by the kidnapping and rape of women but which historians would later declare founded by two brothers raised by a she-wolf and a Trojan prince.
Little wonder that even in its earliest days America considered herself to be the New Rome and that Washington DC was carefully constructed to emulate the awe and spectacle of the ancient capital.

http://www.news.com.au/national/northern-territory/why-americans-will-never-give-up-their-guns/news-story/41f7732a86af6f26e44095cab96b87ba

I can't verify the factual accuracy of some of the historical statements, but I liked the article. I'm sure some won't.

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:39 pm

There have been some unconfirmed reports of antifa and islamic literature found in the shooters belongings.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:11 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I thought this was a generally very interesting article about the American obsession with guns.

Quote:
AMERICA is the greatest country on earth. Indeed, in terms of sheer power, scale and sphere of influence it is probably the greatest country that has ever been.
No other nation could destroy the world as many times over should it so choose, nor has any other nation so charmed and enthralled the world with all it produces. It conquers its enemies with its armies and colonises them with its culture.
And that is because the United States of America isn’t just a people or a place. It’s an idea. And it is because of that idea that the United States seems determined to literally shoot itself to death.
There is probably no nation on earth whose foundations have been so idealised and mythologised. It was “discovered” by a great explorer so hopelessly lost he thought he had landed in India.
It was colonised by “persecuted” pilgrims who then killed people for witchcraft. And it was enshrined as a nation which cherished “liberty” by men who themselves owned slaves. Even the name America comes from a colourful Italian businessman who may have fabricated the very documents about the New World that now bears his name.
In this sense it was the perfect successor to the first great Western power, Rome — a city which was established as a haven for criminals and rogues and populated by the kidnapping and rape of women but which historians would later declare founded by two brothers raised by a she-wolf and a Trojan prince.
Little wonder that even in its earliest days America considered herself to be the New Rome and that Washington DC was carefully constructed to emulate the awe and spectacle of the ancient capital.

http://www.news.com.au/national/northern-territory/why-americans-will-never-give-up-their-guns/news-story/41f7732a86af6f26e44095cab96b87ba

I can't verify the factual accuracy of some of the historical statements, but I liked the article. I'm sure some won't.

God bless America!

Like!!

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:21 pm

Last edited by Morrigu on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:23 am

Pa Marmo wrote:
There have been some unconfirmed reports of antifa and islamic literature found in the shooters belongings.

If by ‘unconfirmed’ you mean ‘false’, then yes, I have seen these too (unless something credible has actually emerged, but I’m not holding my breath...).

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:32 am

It's best to wait until the official investigation brings to light more detail into what has transpired here.

Otherwise, anything else at the moment is just rumour and innuendo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11   

Jump to: