Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

State violence in Catalonia

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Morrigu on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:39 pm

Mugwump wrote:
As usual, I think, I am prepared to see potential fault on both sides and clearly some actions by the police in that footage warrant investigation - but all you seem to see, and imagine, is police brutality. I think your critical faculties, usually fairly acute, may be hijacked by ideology.

I don't quite see how – I certainly don't necessarily support nationalist/secessionist movements as a rule (it's one issue I'm often on the fence on), and I have no particular love for the centre-right Catalan independence movement. I just view the police reaction here as shocking and, as far as I can tell, uncalled for. You can condemn the violence of protesters – to whatever extent unarmed people can manage to land any blows against men in full riot gear – but, again, this was not a response to existing violent unrest but rather a physical conflict that the state (in the view of the government, successfully) planned and enacted. So apportioning blame to each side, particularly given the extremely disparate injury count, seems to be missing the point somewhat.

You may feel you're being even-handed, but to me it reads as if you've been far too quick to offer apologia for the police. Perhaps I have been too ready to side with the people being beaten with batons. We all have our biases.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:41 pm

The police had no function to perform. They should not have been present. Everything follows from that - as to the horror of which, see Morrigu's post, above.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:43 pm

All things follows from that - as to the horror of which see Morrigu's post ?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:09 pm

David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
As usual, I think, I am prepared to see potential fault on both sides and clearly some actions by the police in that footage warrant investigation - but all you seem to see, and imagine, is police brutality. I think your critical faculties, usually fairly acute, may be hijacked by ideology.

I don't quite see how – I certainly don't necessarily support nationalist/secessionist movements as a rule (it's one issue I'm often on the fence on), and I have no particular love for the centre-right Catalan independence movement. I just view the police reaction here as shocking and, as far as I can tell, uncalled for. You can condemn the violence of protesters – to whatever extent unarmed people can manage to land any blows against men in full riot gear – but, again, this was not a response to existing violent unrest but rather a physical conflict that the state (in the view of the government, successfully) planned and enacted. So apportioning blame to each side, particularly given the extremely disparate injury count, seems to be missing the point somewhat.

You may feel you're being even-handed, but to me it reads as if you've been far too quick to offer apologia for the police. Perhaps I have been too ready to side with the people being beaten with batons. We all have our biases.

And one of your consistent and enduring biases is that you're anti authoritarian. You will always side against the Police, armed services and anyone else in authority (employers) unless there's irrefutable evidence that they were in the right, and even then you're suspicious.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:14 pm

Last edited by Morrigu on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:30 pm

^

he may well be, I have NFI about what's happening. Just pointing out David's consistent bias.

Even a stopped clock................ Wink

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:25 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

And one of your consistent and enduring biases is that you're anti authoritarian. You will always side against the Police, armed services and anyone else in authority (employers) unless there's irrefutable evidence that they were in the right, and even then you're suspicious.

Yes, that's how it looked to me. David seemed to think it was only about police brutality. I can see that there was some - but we do not know in response to what, or why, or how widespread it was with what level of official sanction etc. I am just challenging the blanket narrative that this was all about police beating defenceless demonstrators because some selective mobile phone footage showed it happening in some places.

Of course the policeman referred to in Morrigu's post should be disciplined or charged, if the story is essentially as described. But it's rarely as it looks, and it serves the agenda of the Catalan independence movement to make it look so. I'd be wary of accepting simplistic stories of what happened and why because it fits an ideological bias.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:43 pm

David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

It'd be easy to take the smooth course and accept the "we all have our biases" compromise, but I did not provide an apologia for the police, unless it is an apologia to say that the police are supposed to enforce the law, and that when human passions run high, bad things can happen on all sides. The received narrative here was that police brutality was the only story. I accepted that some brutality did take place, but suggested that this story had many levels and textual complexity. You'd normally favour that view, but not when it demands a more nuanced understanding of police, I guess.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:55 pm

Last edited by Morrigu on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:09 pm

Bloody facts - they get in the way of a good whitewash.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:45 am

^ oh in that particular case, it may well be, Morrigu. If you know them well and they are quite level headed, then clearly it is, and I said that the policeman in question should be disciplined or charged if so. I don't see anything WTF about that. If I knew a Spanish policeman who was assaulted by some wild-eyed Catalonian nationalist ( I don't, but twelve were treated for injuries while doing their job) that would not make up the truth of the whole either.

My point, again, is that the way these things are conventionally reported overall is often not the whole story. And I think the Catalonian government should work within the constitution and the law, rather than provoking a confrontation and then using the police reaction as agitprop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: