Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Article 4: Pre trade week thoughts and options

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:05 am
Post subject: Article 4: Pre trade week thoughts and optionsReply with quote

Well with 8 more sleeps till NAB trade radio, we as Pies fans find ourselves pontificating, estimating and almost hallucinating about possible trade player additions (Hello both Tom Lynch's). So as I sit here jealous of Richmond's bizarre ascent to a Grand Final with an accidental forward line that seems to be channeling our 2010 forward pressure style, I put forward some solutions to assist our 2018 rebound.

Draft Picks:

6, 36, 54, 59, 78

Senior list spots to fill (likely):

* Blair
* White
* Keefe (maybe)
* Sinclair
* Smith (hopefully)
* Fasolo (mooted trade)
* Sier (shift to rookie list)
* "unknown mystery player" whom throws a curve ball in trade week eg. Ramsay.

Summary:

So with 8 likely list spot changes, I would advocate this:

Trade Week:

* Jack Watts: via Fasolo to Eagles to for pick 30 then sent to Dees
* Steven Motlop: via free agent. On $600,000 at Cats, they want him out and at 26, his finals form showed what he CAN do.
* Adam Saad: swap our pick 36 for a badly needed speedy defender (homesick despite contracted)
* Trent McKenzie: Gold Coast would take picks 54 and despite baggage would be far better than what is available in what is a skinny draft after pick 35.

(they all can kick)

Draft:

We take pick 6, 59 and 78 into it with one free list spot up our sleeve as commonly done in the last few years. A Brander or Fogarty as a tall would seem like a good option for pick 6. A crap shoot for the other two picks 59 and 78.

Conclusion:

Am sure the above inclusions may create some contrary opinion but I feel that they are specifically targeted to obvious gaps on our list. The last time we were so targeted, we won the 2010 flag.

Imagine Round 1 next year our team being:

B: Saad Dunn Scharenberg
HB: Varcoe Reid Howe
C: Sidebottom Treloar Wells
HF: DeGoey Moore Watts
F: Motlop Cox Elliott
F: Grundy Pendlebury Adams
ICH: Hoskin Elliott, Goldsack, Crisp, Maynard
EMERG: Greenwood, Langdon, Aish

Backup:

Mayne
Daicos
Brown
Phillips
Thomas
Kirby
Broomhead
Ramsay
Rupert W.
McCarthy
McLarty
Crocker
Schade (maybe)
Oxley
McKenzie

Last edited by inxs88 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

No to Motflop. Lazy.I would prefer to see Daicos and Brown in the firsts.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:19 am

ronrat wrote:

Think they're going to take 2-3 seasons to develop. Motlop is free and does things NOW that those others can't do. Reckon he would cost only $500,000 which given our last few trade periods, is a relative bargain Smile

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:30 am
Post subject: Re: Article 4: Pre trade week thoughts and optionsReply with quote

Always enjoy these threads.

RE delistings:
Keeffe should be held onto I think. We may need him for KPP depth.

Sier Ive been a little disappointed with as he hasnt seen AFL time yet. Can he make a debut soon, or did we take a risk and waste a pick here?

RE Trade week:
I'm not sure I want to trade the Fas. But pick 30 for Watts is a win. Could we do better tho? I much prefer the pick 6 for 10 and Watts deal floating around. But yes, I think Watts should be looked at if the price is right. I think Fas could get us a slightly better pick or player from WCE/Freo.

I've also grown keen on Motlop too. Free Agency lets us nab him at no cost. So I say do it.

I havnt heard much about Saad's desire to leave, but I'll trust your judgement if you think he's worth a shot at that pick.

Fkn love the Mackenzie idea. If a pick that late got this done, I would be extremely happy. Suns have not used him well at all. He is a fkn weapon and we'll all be creaming ourselves once he's kicking them from 60.

In addition, Tom Rockliff (unlikely) and Jackson Trengove are free agents that could add something to the side. Jono Freeman is another delisted player (From Lions) that I think could offer something.

I also believe that Robbie Tarrant could be acquired cheaply. Would be a huge asset in the backline.

RE Draft:
Pretty much liked what you said. The romantic in me wants to get Ron Richards grandson to the club, so I hope that happens. Since being away from Aus, I've lost touch with the TAC Cup. So I'm not too sure about this years crop.

Although changed a little since, this post shared some other thoughts; http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1802608&highlight=updated#1802608

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:11 am
Post subject: Re: Article 4: Pre trade week thoughts and optionsReply with quote

Presti35 wrote:
Always enjoy these threads.

RE delistings:
Keeffe should be held onto I think. We may need him for KPP depth.

Sier Ive been a little disappointed with as he hasnt seen AFL time yet. Can he make a debut soon, or did we take a risk and waste a pick here?

RE Trade week:
I'm not sure I want to trade the Fas. But pick 30 for Watts is a win. Could we do better tho? I much prefer the pick 6 for 10 and Watts deal floating around. But yes, I think Watts should be looked at if the price is right. I think Fas could get us a slightly better pick or player from WCE/Freo.

I've also grown keen on Motlop too. Free Agency lets us nab him at no cost. So I say do it.

I havnt heard much about Saad's desire to leave, but I'll trust your judgement if you think he's worth a shot at that pick.

Fkn love the Mackenzie idea. If a pick that late got this done, I would be extremely happy. Suns have not used him well at all. He is a fkn weapon and we'll all be creaming ourselves once he's kicking them from 60.

In addition, Tom Rockliff (unlikely) and Jackson Trengove are free agents that could add something to the side. Jono Freeman is another delisted player (From Lions) that I think could offer something.

I also believe that Robbie Tarrant could be acquired cheaply. Would be a huge asset in the backline.

RE Draft:
Pretty much liked what you said. The romantic in me wants to get Ron Richards grandson to the club, so I hope that happens. Since being away from Aus, I've lost touch with the TAC Cup. So I'm not too sure about this years crop.

Although changed a little since, this post shared some other thoughts; http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1802608&highlight=updated#1802608

Thanks for the feedback. It is fun plotting and planning the Pies future. The only issue with your view on Fasolo trade above is that Freo don't have a second rd draft pick this year as they gave it away in the Harley Bennell trade.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:52 am

inxs88 wrote:
ronrat wrote:

Think they're going to take 2-3 seasons to develop. Motlop is free and does things NOW that those others can't do. Reckon he would cost only $500,000 which given our last few trade periods, is a relative bargain Smile

Good points, I like Motlop, has real X factor, him and Kirby. Get him ! Idea

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:59 am

inxs88 wrote:
ronrat wrote:

Motlop looked like the only player who could trouble the crows the other night, aside from Danger. Would love him at Collingwood

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:11 am

Love your work Inxs
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:22 am

Motlop's an interesting one. The general view is that he doesn't work hard enough, but recently commentators and his teammates have been challenging this view. Dangerfield says his workrate is one of their club's best. Stats for distance run and repeat sprint attempts support this.

Motlop is exactly the type of player we need. The one knock on him would be his hardness at the contest and tackling pressure, but if you want outside runners who break the lines this is something you usually have to sacrifice.

I think he's a better player than Varcoe and worth signing at the right price.

Craigmac 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:29 am

What about:

Pick 6 and 36 for Melbournes Pick 10 and Weidemann.

Trade Fasolo for a 2nd round from WCE to use on Devon Smith.

Trade Josh Thomas to a QLD club for a second or third round pick. We have a few like Josh and he is a QLD boy with currency so may be of interest.

Trade one of Greenwood or Broomhead for a 2nd round pick. Greenwood was linked with Port last year.

The next is controversial:

Wells is a gun under contract, who wont play in our next premiership.....trade to a club that thinks its closer to a premiership for a low second round and third round pick (eg: St Kilda). Maybe even a first, a bit like the Deludio deal.

Then with a range of seconds and thirds plus the rest of our picks look at McKenzie, Watts, & Saad.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:31 am

Love Varcoe, probably my #1 favourite current player - but let's face it, he's unlikely to play more than about half a season on those aging legs.

Not convinced either way about Motlop (if we really want a brilliant-this-quarter, missing-without-trace-the-next small forward, we could just keep Fasolo) but at 26 Motlop is certainly in the zone.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:34 am

A fair few Geelong supporters want to get rid of Motlop as they consider him lazy & reckon they're gald he played well recently (compared to a lot of the season) as this will increase his trade value.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:36 am

If Greenwood is only worth a second round pick, Broomhead is barely worth a 3rd. Greenwood plays a vital role in our side. I simply don't get the constant under-estimation of the heavy lifting he does in the guts.

Craigmac wrote:
The next is controversial: trade Wells for some low picks

No. Not actually controversial, just daft.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:44 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Motlop's an interesting one. The general view is that he doesn't work hard enough, but recently commentators and his teammates have been challenging this view. Dangerfield says his workrate is one of their club's best. Stats for distance run and repeat sprint attempts support this.

Motlop is exactly the type of player we need. The one knock on him would be his hardness at the contest and tackling pressure, but if you want outside runners who break the lines this is something you usually have to sacrifice.

He was one of the best Cats players in the finals, so I doubt he'll be up for trade.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:32 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

He was one of the best Cats players in the finals, so I doubt he'll be up for trade.

Motlop and C. Scott don't get along!

www.facebook/the hybernators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: