Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pendlebury's countdown to 313

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:57 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair too, while he might not rank in the top 10 at the club over its history, Leon's career is very much underrated. 225 games, 275 goals 2 All Australians, probably the only one at the club to have done it as a defender and forward - also bloody handy through the middle (when he could get in there around Pendles, Swan, Burns, Buckley, Beams, Sidebottom and so on).

His early career and grand final record costs his reputation a bit. Some people overrate what small forwards do in grand finals though (especially in their 3rd and 4th years) and his 2011 GF off the back flank tells me that it wasn't just big game nerves either. Loved his goal in the 2010 GF

I miss the little fella.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:05 am

^ that highlights reel is as good as Daicos’s, and in some respects shows things that even Daicos could not do. Leon could have off days, but when he was on, and he was often on, he was one of the most exciting players ever to play for us. In retrospect, how lucky were we to have both he and Didak in the one side ?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:56 am

Let's be blunt - Pendles is a brilliant, brilliant footballer. His skills are immaculate, he is breathtaking in traffic and he can do almost anything.

That puts him just behind the most talented footballer who ever pulled on a pair of boots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjb9lTAM4QE

Phil Carman - the man who could do anything - and did everything. Best on the left foot, best on the right, best in the air, best at collecting the ground ball, best in the clear, best in traffic. The greatest centreman who ever played the game - and we remember him as a key forward because he could play literally any position and dominate.

The footage is ok for its time - but it really doesn't capture his magnificence.

Another tiny bit of footage of him from his Norwood days is here - note the brilliant pass after the ridiculous mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWtYx7ruS_o

And, for those who might have thought he was the kind of player who only dominated poor opposition, here he is in a second-semi against Peter Knights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1ImlZ_Kinc

And here he is destroying Bruce Doull in the following year's first semi (don't get confused - Carman swapped to wear number 2 in 1978 and the Club gave Craig Stewart his old number 9 for a bit of a joke).
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:39 pm

^^

If only he wasn't so hot tempered.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:32 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ that highlights reel is as good as Daicos’s, and in some respects shows things that even Daicos could not do. Leon could have off days, but when he was on, and he was often on, he was one of the most exciting players ever to play for us. In retrospect, how lucky were we to have both he and Didak in the one side ?

As great as Leon was, Daicos was on another level. Maybe it's just that Leon's career is more recent that we forget how brilliant Daics was.

But jees we've been blessed to have Daics, Dids and Leon give us so much happiness.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:59 pm

No disagreement, it was only the highlights reel that struck me as genuinely competitive with Daicos’s. I still have Daicos as the best player I’ve seen in black and white over 45 years or so. As just one reference point, nobody kicks 13 from a forward pocket without being on another level altogether.

Journalist : “How do you counter Daicos ?” Robert Walls : “Shoot him.”

E 

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:03 am

Pendles will never be considered an all time great unless he can take better care of his body and stop missing so much football. Looks like he will be missing for one of our most important games of the year this weekend. Real champions don't miss games like this.

He also needs to stop making "leadership decisions" that result in our truly great players getting soft tissue injuries.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:27 pm

^^^^ the second semi-final last quarter was a monument to the great Ronnie Wearmouth far more than Phil Carman. Carman slightly shaded Knights in that quarter, but Peter Hudson had far more impact. He was a damn good footballer, Carman, and a complete match winner on his day, but capable of going completely missing in games as well, and his VFL career was a gigantic disappointment as a result. One of the greatest self-inflicted crack-ups of all time.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:12 pm

In todays "Ando's Shout" in the Herald Sun, he asked Therold Merrett who he thought the best ever Collingwood player was.

"Bob Rose is the best Collingwood player I have seen, ahead of Nathan Buckley and Scott Pendlebury in that order".

Couldn't find a link to the article. But its in todays paper.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:02 pm

Thorold Merrett has been actively involved in our club and keen observer of our teams through the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, 00’s and 10’s.
He would know! So I’m agreeing with his greater knowledge on the topic.
I get a bit miffed by all this “Greatest Of All Time” stuff that is often posted by people who have scant idea about our illustrious past. If you only want to count players from the past 10 years or so, then say that. If you have no idea about who played for us in the 30’s, 40’s, 60’s etc then don’t claim the “All Time” tag.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:03 am

Now outright 5th on our all time games played list. Passes SSB tonight.

Now three games behind equaling Len Thompson.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:39 pm

Tomorrows game will see him equal Len Thompson on 268 games for the club, putting him equal 4th for all time games played.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/alltime/collingwood.html

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:45 pm

All time Collingwood great.
All time football great.
Will be a hall of famer.
When next gen players are referred to as “plays like Pendlebury” you’ve made it to the big time.
Hopefully at least half a dozen or more finals against his name cos he has been wasted during his peak years without finals the past 5 years.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Let's be blunt - Pendles is a brilliant, brilliant footballer. His skills are immaculate, he is breathtaking in traffic and he can do almost anything.

That puts him just behind the most talented footballer who ever pulled on a pair of boots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjb9lTAM4QE

Phil Carman - the man who could do anything - and did everything. Best on the left foot, best on the right, best in the air, best at collecting the ground ball, best in the clear, best in traffic. The greatest centreman who ever played the game - and we remember him as a key forward because he could play literally any position and dominate.

The footage is ok for its time - but it really doesn't capture his magnificence.

Another tiny bit of footage of him from his Norwood days is here - note the brilliant pass after the ridiculous mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWtYx7ruS_o

And, for those who might have thought he was the kind of player who only dominated poor opposition, here he is in a second-semi against Peter Knights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1ImlZ_Kinc

And here he is destroying Bruce Doull in the following year's first semi (don't get confused - Carman swapped to wear number 2 in 1978 and the Club gave Craig Stewart his old number 9 for a bit of a joke).

Very close call with Gary Ablett Snr for mine for the most talented footballer I've ever seen play. Carmen had a far superior tank, Ablett had pure brute strength instead, both were brilliant and could do the unbelievable.

A guy I knew played against Ablett when he went back to the ovens and Murray league post Hawthorn Pre Geelong. I asked him how he was to play on, he just shook his head and said freak.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:17 am

I just realized that I didn't post the link to Carman taking the mark of the day in front of Doull in the last quarter of that 1978 semi-final, right beside the "Phil Carman Walks On Water" banner. I can't find the highlights I meant to link, now. Anyway, I did come across this fragment from the 1984 semi-final against Carlton, with Daicos, Millane, Abernethy, Mike Richardson, Banks and Derek Shaw all prominent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4a3XB99vlo

Looking at his physical presence, speed and class in this match, it is difficult to believe that Millane had just turned 19 and was playing only his 7th game, after crossing from Dandenong.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 4 of 16   

Jump to: