Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pendlebury's countdown to 313

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pendles is possibly the only Collingwood player to make playing the game easier for everyone he delivers the ball to, every single game. He plays like a dad playing with his kids, giving them the ball gently and in advantageous positions. Other guys could draw a player towards them to make it easier, Pendles not only does that, but vanishes into thin air when he does it. No-one I've seen playing for Collingwood has been like that. Hird is possibly the closest, but he kicked more goals than Pendles and must have had one hell of a tank as well coz he was always on that damn wing on his own on ANZAC day. People caught him more than they caught Neo Pendlebury.

Daicos drew them towards him as well, Buckley kicked it over them. Swan butchered it but ran himself into the ground and in the end had 20-25 disposals spot on out of 40. Millane drew them towards him then ate them.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:52 pm

Some more finals performances would help. His last final was five years ago when he was 25.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:57 pm

From limited finals appearances, a Norm Smith is not a bad return. Funny to think that his closest rival for the Smith in Gf2 was a bloke called Sidebottom. Interesting predictor of potential.
Streak Pisces

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:58 am
Post subject: Re: (Collingwoods greatest ever) What does Pendlebury have tReply with quote

Presti35 wrote:
With 252 games, Pendles is currently 11th on the all time playing list. 16 more games will see him move to 4th.

Does he need to win a Brownlow medal? (Already 2nd for Collingwood all time votes and should be able to pass Swan).

Does he need to captain us to a Premiership? (Does he need another Norm Smith? Only Macleod, Ayres and Hodge have won 2).

Does he need to pass Buckleys Copeland Trophy tally? (He's one from tying it).

When I saw the thread title, I thought, "Yeah he's a fantastic player - but the best ever?" But these really are incredible stats you cite, strung together. Five Copelands... yeah, impressive.

So if we're talking about him being the greatest ever, who does he have to take down? Bucks?

Also, if we're judging the best Collingwood player ever, I don't give much weight - if any - to the Umpires' medal.
Streak Pisces

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:05 am

Cam wrote:
Daicos drew them towards him as well, Buckley kicked it over them. Swan butchered it but ran himself into the ground and in the end had 20-25 disposals spot on out of 40. Millane drew them towards him then ate them.

I feel like you could either watch the last 30 years of Collingwood games or just read the above paragraph.
jatsad 

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:00 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Greatness depends a lot on the terms of definition, but if defined as match-winning ability (best on ground) in the time I’ve been watching , ie more or less since 1970 I get the list below. If defined as footballing skill and beauty, it’d be a little different.

1. Daicos
2. Buckley
3. Thompson
4. McKenna
5. Swan
6. Pendlebury
7. W Richardson
8. Carman
9. Picken
10. Moore (Peter)
11. Tony Shaw
12. Graham Wright

Greening’s career was too short to tell. Millane is remembered with rose tinted spectacles. Great player, great leader, but rarely turned a game off his own boot, as all of the above could. Graham Wright is a seriously underrrated footballer who came second in the Brownlow in our premiership year. He could carve an opposition to ribbons and it’s ironic that Millane, on the other wing, is so lionized while Wright is largely forgotten.

McKenna was not a great natural footballer (Hudson was miles better in raw skill) but he was still one the greatest weapon players ever to pull on a Pies jumper., and won us game after game.

The one that most people underrrate is Len Thompson. If you are unsure how good he was, try reading the top ten Brownlow vote getters between 1969 and 1973. He won it in 72, and featured in the top ten at least two other years, despite being in an outstandingly strong side. He was a giant in every sense.

Tuddenham probably should be there, in the top 6, but his best mostly predates my time.

As I said, it depends on your definition.

You say Greening's career was too short yet he played 107 games for Collingwood. You include Carman who only played 66.

One thing a lot of people forget about John Greening. When he was KO'd by that O'Dea bludger, he had played 6 completed games that year and had already racked up 14 Brownlow votes. Such was his form, unruly measures had to be put in place to stop him.

I have watched Collingwood play since 1967 and he still remains, for me, the most talented player I have seen play for Collingwood with Daicos a close second and Buckley third.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:25 pm
Post subject: Re: (Collingwoods greatest ever) What does Pendlebury have tReply with quote

Presti35 wrote:
What does Pendles have to do to be considered Collingwoods greatest ever player? You'd have to think that he is already in the top 5, but who else is in the conversation here?

With 252 games, Pendles is currently 11th on the all time playing list. 16 more games will see him move to 4th.

So whats the main factor here;

Does he need play a further 48 games and become only the third Pie to reach 300? (Richardson and Thompson did reach 300, but at different clubs).

Does he need to win a Brownlow medal? (Already 2nd for Collingwood all time votes and should be able to pass Swan).

Neither Max or Wayne played 300 matches

Does he need to captain us to a Premiership? (Does he need another Norm Smith? Only Macleod, Ayres and Hodge have won 2).

2 more AA selections will see him equal Buckleys amount of inclusions. An unlikely 4 more selections would see him tie the most for any player.

It'd be nice to see him with one more Anzac Medal, which would see him equal Hird on 3. Not that that's a huge factor.

Will he ever be considered a better player than Buckley and Swan?

inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:26 pm

Presti35 wrote:
What does Pendles have to do to be considered Collingwoods greatest ever player? You'd have to think that he is already in the top 5, but who else is in the conversation here?

So whats the main factor here;

Does he need play a further 48 games and become only the third Pie to reach 300? (Richardson and Thompson did reach 300, but at different clubs).

2 more AA selections will see him equal Buckleys amount of inclusions. An unlikely 4 more selections would see him tie the most for any player.

It'd be nice to see him with one more Anzac Medal, which would see him equal Hird on 3. Not that that's a huge factor.

Will he ever be considered a better player than Buckley and Swan?

Neither Max or Wayne played 300 matches

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:47 pm

jatsad wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Greatness depends a lot on the terms of definition, but if defined as match-winning ability (best on ground) in the time I’ve been watching , ie more or less since 1970 I get the list below. If defined as footballing skill and beauty, it’d be a little different.

1. Daicos
2. Buckley
3. Thompson
4. McKenna
5. Swan
6. Pendlebury
7. W Richardson
8. Carman
9. Picken
10. Moore (Peter)
11. Tony Shaw
12. Graham Wright

Greening’s career was too short to tell. Millane is remembered with rose tinted spectacles. Great player, great leader, but rarely turned a game off his own boot, as all of the above could. Graham Wright is a seriously underrrated footballer who came second in the Brownlow in our premiership year. He could carve an opposition to ribbons and it’s ironic that Millane, on the other wing, is so lionized while Wright is largely forgotten.

McKenna was not a great natural footballer (Hudson was miles better in raw skill) but he was still one the greatest weapon players ever to pull on a Pies jumper., and won us game after game.

The one that most people underrrate is Len Thompson. If you are unsure how good he was, try reading the top ten Brownlow vote getters between 1969 and 1973. He won it in 72, and featured in the top ten at least two other years, despite being in an outstandingly strong side. He was a giant in every sense.

Tuddenham probably should be there, in the top 6, but his best mostly predates my time.

As I said, it depends on your definition.

You say Greening's career was too short yet he played 107 games for Collingwood. You include Carman who only played 66.

One thing a lot of people forget about John Greening. When he was KO'd by that O'Dea bludger, he had played 6 completed games that year and had already racked up 14 Brownlow votes. Such was his form, unruly measures had to be put in place to stop him.

I have watched Collingwood play since 1967 and he still remains, for me, the most talented player I have seen play for Collingwood with Daicos a close second and Buckley third.

Fair point. I should have said that, given my range of reference since 1970, (and regular game attendance only from 1972,when I was a none-too-perceptive 11), his career was too short for me to recall well.

My first strong recollection of him is in 1972 when he was all-too briefly brilliant (and yes, those Brownlow votes are an eloquent testament to his greatness that year, as is O’Dea’s ultimate act of cowardly thuggery).

I suppose I also have a slight suspicion that we look back on our doomed heroes like Greening and Millane with a reverence that might be just a little misty-eyed. Certainly I think Greening a far greater player than Millane, but in 1970 and 1971 he was not in the top three Collingwood players in Brownlow votes (as he was in that fateful year of 1972). So he was a wonderful player. But without seeing him regularly, it’s hard for me to say how he ranks.

Carman is there simply because he was the greatest game breaker I have ever witnessed. He could destroy an opposition in 20 minutes, and did so several times in my recollection.

Hope that explains, good challenge.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:32 am

Everyone pretty much mentioning their greatest since 1970. Have we forgotten the greater period of 80 years prior? Pendles is a great player and one of my all time favourites but he'd have stiff competition for best 22 let alone greatest ever!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:04 pm

Yes, he probably wouldn't get a game ahead of Marcus Whelan or Bill Twomey.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:14 pm

As I said, it depends on your definition.[/quote]

I have watched Collingwood play since 1967 and he still remains, for me, the most talented player I have seen play for Collingwood with Daicos a close second and Buckley third.[/quote]

I agree but I really think unless you saw him play you wouldn't know what he was going to do. A great mark, fantastic kick (either foot), speedy and just had the nous to find the footy. He was on the rise. Forget his ill fated comeback. If that dog ODea and his arsehole coach Jeans not done the mongrel act I still reckon we win a Grand Final in 77, 79 and maybe another one. My contempt of that arsehole Jeans started that day and I hope the bastard rots in hell. Odea will have his time but he was told to do it.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:18 pm

Really now that is an interesting fact I hadn't heard before.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:23 pm

ronrat wrote:

.[/quote]

Ronrat I'm the same. I was just old enough to fully appreciate those games in 72! You couln'd be more excited, with Johnny in team it was like having a player in the side that could do anything, clean hands he would just fly into packs and be out with the pill and would be racing down the wing in a flash. No opponent could stop him one on one. He was just so agile and had an that ability to know where the ball was going to be and get there! his marking was special. My mate Bob a ruckman who played for Sturt and hated the black and white but not JG he could'nt remember a better player! and he went back a few years (35 years older than me) Pity of it all was that hed only just hit his prime........ It wasn't just a loss for Collingwood but the footy world. Any way back to Pendles. He is one of the greatest players I have ever seen play the game. There is no one that can make the game stand still for so long. Daics could do it! when he played in the centre, but it was more because of that lower centre of gravity that allowed him to weave through the opposition. Pendles uses every cubic inch of the space he has around him, and just slows time down. The Carlton midfield doesn't look good at normal pace! When Pendles plays they look like the Rock-Yarong Creek seconds.no need to judge him now, just enjoy watching him play now!
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:40 am

Medhurst. Douggie. Leon. Kink. Picken.

Footy's not just about the skill, daring and grunt. Some players just make the game worth watching in the first place.

Pour yourself a cuppa and let Leon make you smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c5KrG2Rkj0
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16   

Jump to: