Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pendlebury's countdown to 313

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's Daics #1 and Bucks #2. Captaining a Premiership would slot him into three for mine quite nicely.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:23 pm

You may be wondering if this is a person or a computer responding.
jatsad 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:15 pm

Great as Pendles is, he is not in my top 5 and I have been watching Collingwood since 1966. But he doesn't miss by much.

In order:

1. John Greening - Would have been a legend of the game. Had an incredible amount of natural and athletic ability and was spectacular as well.
2. Peter Daicos - Changed the way small forwards kicked goals forever. Could do anything.
3. Nathan Buckley - Total ability and professionalism - best kick of a football I've ever seen and that includes Darren Jarman
4. Len Thompson - Best ruckman of his generation and was the first of the athletic, free running ruckmen. Again changed the game.
5. Dane Swan - Best burst player in the past 25 years. Incredible strength and football nous.
6. Wayne Richardson - Champion rover who consistently got 30 possessions when possession meant something. Never wasted a kick.
7. Scott Pendlebury - Anyone who makes time stand still is a great. Would have been higher but to my mind hasn't been an inspiring captain. Still time though.
8. Gavin Brown - Could play anywhere. Didn't understand the meaning of fear and best one on one player for his size I've seen.
9.Phil Carman - Raw natural ability and extremely fit and athletic. Would have been higher if he had played longer.
10. Darren Millane - Not the most highly skilled player but made up for it with his toughness. His impacts on games was immeasurable. Huge tragedy that he passed on so early.

This is my opinion and others may disagree. It is only based on players I've seen.

Bleedblackanwhite 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:52 pm

1. Blair
2. Mayne
3. White
4. Karnezis
5. Young

🤘

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:33 pm
Post subject: Re: (Collingwoods greatest ever) What does Pendlebury have tReply with quote

Presti35 wrote:
Will he ever be considered a better player than Buckley and Swan?

No.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:43 pm

jatsad wrote:
Great as Pendles is, he is not in my top 5 and I have been watching Collingwood since 1966. But he doesn't miss by much.

In order:

1. John Greening - Would have been a legend of the game. Had an incredible amount of natural and athletic ability and was spectacular as well.
2. Peter Daicos - Changed the way small forwards kicked goals forever. Could do anything.
3. Nathan Buckley - Total ability and professionalism - best kick of a football I've ever seen and that includes Darren Jarman
4. Len Thompson - Best ruckman of his generation and was the first of the athletic, free running ruckmen. Again changed the game.
5. Dane Swan - Best burst player in the past 25 years. Incredible strength and football nous.
6. Wayne Richardson - Champion rover who consistently got 30 possessions when possession meant something. Never wasted a kick.
7. Scott Pendlebury - Anyone who makes time stand still is a great. Would have been higher but to my mind hasn't been an inspiring captain. Still time though.
8. Gavin Brown - Could play anywhere. Didn't understand the meaning of fear and best one on one player for his size I've seen.
9.Phil Carman - Raw natural ability and extremely fit and athletic. Would have been higher if he had played longer.
10. Darren Millane - Not the most highly skilled player but made up for it with his toughness. His impacts on games was immeasurable. Huge tragedy that he passed on so early.

Top post. There are two or three I don't agree with, but overall, yep. Personally, I don't count the short-career players among the true greats. So I would not include Greening, Carman, or Millane, simply because they didn't play for long enough. In their place, I'd be considering Des Tuddenham, Jimmy Clement, and Tony Shaw - who I'd list in the top 5. Being an unsuccessful coach and a bit of a tool on radio does not wipe out a long and truly illustrious career capped by leading the club to the impossible dream. After so many lost grand finals in a row, turning it around in 1990 was very, very special.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:48 am

Two great posts.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:48 am

Tannin wrote:
jatsad wrote:

In order:

Top post. There are two or three I don't agree with, but overall, yep. Personally, I don't count the short-career players among the true greats. So I would not include Greening, Carman, or Millane, simply because they didn't play for long enough. In their place, I'd be considering Des Tuddenham, Jimmy Clement, and Tony Shaw - who I'd list in the top 5. Being an unsuccessful coach and a bit of a tool on radio does not wipe out a long and truly illustrious career capped by leading the club to the impossible dream. After so many lost grand finals in a row, turning it around in 1990 was very, very special.

Not that it matters greatly, I suppose - but Millane played 147 games for Collingwood and Clement played 146.
makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:18 pm

Bleedblackanwhite wrote:
1. Blair
2. Mayne
3. White
4. Karnezis
5. Young

🤘

Andrew Tarpy
Jason wild

mudlark 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:17 pm

E wrote:
mudlark wrote:
E wrote:
I have been following Collingwood since 1980. In my time, the best players, are, in order:

1. Buckley
2. Daicos
3. Pendles
4. Swan
5. Milane

Statistics are not the right way to determine who the best player is. its a judgment and everyone will have their own opinion.

Buckley Gary Ablett Snr. and Wayne Carey are in my mind the three best players to have played the game in the 37 years i've been paying attention (although i saw the end of Matthews career, and he was pretty damn good too).

I have Swan in front of Pendles quite easily E. You could probably squeeze Wayne Richardson in there somewhere as well.

I think Wayne Richardson had given it away by the time 1980 came around mudlark. or did you mean Mike Richardson.

Thought the question was 'Greatest Ever"?? Def don't mean Mike!!! If 1980 then ignore last sentence Very Happy
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:24 pm

Pendles now sits in the top 10 for games played at Collingwood.

Last night he passed Harry Collier and one more game sees him pass Gavin Brown. 5 more to pass Swan, 7 to pass Buckley, 8 to pass McHale, 11 to pass Burns, 14 to pass Thompson. He'll need to play another 24 to crack the top 3.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/alltime/collingwood.html

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:57 pm

360 opened up tonight with Robbo suggesting Pendles is the greatest Magpie of all. He mentioned Bob Rose was widely considered the best, but Rose himself said Buckley was the best.

Robbo said he'd only seen Bucks and Pendles. But Robbo could subtly be trying to stick it to Bucks. Who knows?

6 more games see's him pass Swan (258), Buckley (260), McHale (261) and Burns (264).

Either way, the Cap is in great form and will be in AA and Copeland trophy discussions if he keeps it up. Would love it, but I think the Brownlow is out of reach.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:22 pm

Presti I watched that and wondered about it but in context since round 3 he's been very very complimentary of not just Buckley but also Collingwood.
He's been saying loads of positive stuff and giving out praise to both players and coach.
I wondered at the time had he had a tap on the shoulder and been told to be more fair in his appraisal the he had been in the past.
He lost his gig on SEN with rumours saying it was largely due to his constant bagging of all things Collingwood and Buckley as it was alienating a large listening audience.
Be it true or partially true his attitude has definitely changed
As for the comment about Pendles geez it's a tough argument.
In my time Buckley is the best I've seen but Pendles deserves to be in the conversation along with Swanny
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:40 pm

1. Greening - easily the greatest ever player I've seen.

2. Daicos - supreme ability to turn a game on his own. Nothing he couldn't do. Mr Magic.

3. Tuddy - our greatest ever leader.

4. Bucks - our first fully professional player. Carried the team for a decade.

5. Pendles - like Bucks (hard to split them). Mr Dependable. Mr consistency.

6. Swan - the machine.

7. Carman (would have been higher, but for his short lived career with us)

8. Thomson - best ruckman we've had.

9. McKenna - best forward by far.

10. Millane - spiritual captain.[/b][/b]
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:11 pm

Greatness depends a lot on the terms of definition, but if defined as match-winning ability (best on ground) in the time I’ve been watching , ie more or less since 1970 I get the list below. If defined as footballing skill and beauty, it’d be a little different.

1. Daicos
2. Buckley
3. Thompson
4. McKenna
5. Swan
6. Pendlebury
7. W Richardson
8. Carman
9. Picken
10. Moore (Peter)
11. Tony Shaw
12. Graham Wright

Greening’s career was too short to tell. Millane is remembered with rose tinted spectacles. Great player, great leader, but rarely turned a game off his own boot, as all of the above could. Graham Wright is a seriously underrrated footballer who came second in the Brownlow in our premiership year. He could carve an opposition to ribbons and it’s ironic that Millane, on the other wing, is so lionized while Wright is largely forgotten.

McKenna was not a great natural footballer (Hudson was miles better in raw skill) but he was still one the greatest weapon players ever to pull on a Pies jumper., and won us game after game.

The one that most people underrrate is Len Thompson. If you are unsure how good he was, try reading the top ten Brownlow vote getters between 1969 and 1973. He won it in 72, and featured in the top ten at least two other years, despite being in an outstandingly strong side. He was a giant in every sense.

Tuddenham probably should be there, in the top 6, but his best mostly predates my time.

As I said, it depends on your definition.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16   

Jump to: