Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pendlebury's countdown to 313

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:38 am
Post subject: Pendlebury's countdown to 313Reply with quote

What does Pendles have to do to be considered Collingwoods greatest ever player? You'd have to think that he is already in the top 5, but who else is in the conversation here?

With 252 games, Pendles is currently 11th on the all time playing list. 16 more games will see him move to 4th.

So whats the main factor here;

Does he need play a further 48 games and become only the third Pie to reach 300? (Thompson did reach 300, but at different clubs).

Does he need to win a Brownlow medal? (Already 2nd for Collingwood all time votes and should be able to pass Swan).

Does he need to captain us to a Premiership? (Does he need another Norm Smith? Only Macleod, Ayres and Hodge have won 2).

Does he need to pass Buckleys Copeland Trophy tally? (He's one from tying it).

2 more AA selections will see him equal Buckleys amount of inclusions. An unlikely 4 more selections would see him tie the most for any player.

It'd be nice to see him with one more Anzac Medal, which would see him equal Hird on 3. Not that that's a huge factor.

Will he ever be considered a better player than Buckley and Swan?

Last edited by Presti35 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:12 pm; edited 12 times in total
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

You wonder what Coventrys and the like would have done. If Pendlebury leads us to the next 4 premierships maybe.

But greatest ever is a long bow.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:11 am

That is a hypothetical question.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:36 am

I have been following Collingwood since 1980. In my time, the best players, are, in order:

1. Buckley
2. Daicos
3. Pendles
4. Swan
5. Milane

Statistics are not the right way to determine who the best player is. its a judgment and everyone will have their own opinion.

Buckley Gary Ablett Snr. and Wayne Carey are in my mind the three best players to have played the game in the 37 years i've been paying attention (although i saw the end of Matthews career, and he was pretty damn good too).

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:14 am

Pretty good assessment, though I'd switch Pendles and daicos. Matthews was a thug, but a hard bastard too. But I'm glad you put senior there, I still reckon GAS is the best ever. Junior for me lacks something you can't put your finger on. The mystic stuff, but that could be nostalgia too.

Pendles is magic, it actually scares me he has played 252. Surely he still has another 3-5 years left? Touch wood he's had injuries but not crushing ones. I really really want to see him play without the captaincy burden, then we will see the best ever. He's quick, smart, skilled and unselfish, and his body shape perfectly fits his role, he has it all. Not sure you could say that about the others?

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:27 am

Since 1980 clearly the top two are Buckley and Daicos but after that it's a bit cloudy to me. I think we should wait till Pendles career is over before we assess. At this point he has a couple less Copelands than Buckley and won't win this year. Gavin Brown and McGuane also have to be considered in the mix of great players since 1980. We complain about the Brownlow being a midfielders medal but it's the same when we consider our own players. I don't think anybody would consider Anthony Rocca and Clement up there with the others but they were also great players.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:52 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Since 1980 clearly the top two are Buckley and Daicos but after that it's a bit cloudy to me. I think we should wait till Pendles career is over before we assess. At this point he has a couple less Copelands than Buckley and won't win this year. Gavin Brown and McGuane also have to be considered in the mix of great players since 1980. We complain about the Brownlow being a midfielders medal but it's the same when we consider our own players. I don't think anybody would consider Anthony Rocca and Clement up there with the others but they were also great players.

I would have Brown and McGuane ahead of Millane in the list that E presented. There is a legend that has grown around Millane but I believe the other two were far better players. It's not that I don't rate Millane, quite the opposite. I was aware of him even before he played for us, having been told about him by a Hawk recruiter. Apparently the recruiter went to see Sean Millane but decided he wasn't up to it but was very interested in his younger brother, but the club wasn't. Collingwood nabbed him & the Hawk recruiter wasn't happy. I saw almost every game that Millane played& have vivid memories of him standing in the middle of Waverley exchanging punches to the head with DaRui , until the ball came near and they separated.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:40 am

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:

I would have Brown and McGuane ahead of Millane in the list that E presented. There is a legend that has grown around Millane but I believe the other two were far better players. It's not that I don't rate Millane, quite the opposite. I was aware of him even before he played for us, having been told about him by a Hawk recruiter. Apparently the recruiter went to see Sean Millane but decided he wasn't up to it but was very interested in his younger brother, but the club wasn't. Collingwood nabbed him & the Hawk recruiter wasn't happy. I saw almost every game that Millane played& have vivid memories of him standing in the middle of Waverley exchanging punches to the head with DaRui , until the ball came near and they separated.

I got it opposite from a Hawthorn member who I admit is bias. He said that Alan Jeans knew he wouldn't be able to control him and Hawthorn did all they could after we showed interest to engineer a clearance to Collingwood.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:00 am

Hardest job known to mankind --Collingwood's greatest ever

A list / cast of many

I saw Bob Rose in his prime and he was tougher than nails but brilliant to boot

Merret ,Twomey ,Healy. A centre line of greats

Lucas ,Kingston,Tuck--best half back line ever

And then there is Carman and Greening

A club blessed

mudlark 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:25 am

E wrote:
I have been following Collingwood since 1980. In my time, the best players, are, in order:

1. Buckley
2. Daicos
3. Pendles
4. Swan
5. Milane

Statistics are not the right way to determine who the best player is. its a judgment and everyone will have their own opinion.

Buckley Gary Ablett Snr. and Wayne Carey are in my mind the three best players to have played the game in the 37 years i've been paying attention (although i saw the end of Matthews career, and he was pretty damn good too).

I have Swan in front of Pendles quite easily E. You could probably squeeze Wayne Richardson in there somewhere as well.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:38 am

I love Pendlebury but I'd have thought he'd struggle to be in the top 10 all-time. In the last 20 years, I'd have him second, behind Swan and ahead of Buckley but in the larger picture I doubt he'd get a look-in.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:43 am

THE AFL hating agenda, did not have ONE single Magpie in the Leagues Team of the Century, nor has Lou been made a Legend, nor is there one statue outside the G to any PIES COACH OR PLAYER. Pendles is one of our best EVER players, but the AFL will never recognise him as such. Fact.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:47 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
I love Pendlebury but I'd have thought he'd struggle to be in the top 10 all-time. In the last 20 years, I'd have him second, behind Swan and ahead of Buckley but in the larger picture I doubt he'd get a look-in.

Same, I'd put those 3 in the same order.

But for me seen its Daicos, Swan, Pendles, Bucks and than Milane (Bucks moves down the rankings imo because he was an individual within a team).

E 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:04 pm

mudlark wrote:
E wrote:

1. Buckley
2. Daicos
3. Pendles
4. Swan
5. Milane

I have Swan in front of Pendles quite easily E. You could probably squeeze Wayne Richardson in there somewhere as well.

I think Wayne Richardson had given it away by the time 1980 came around mudlark. or did you mean Mike Richardson.

Pipes1970 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:08 pm

It is an interesting question....

In my opinion it is always difficult to compare players from different era's due to the drastic difference in the game and how it is played.

Having said that though... The advantage that Pendles, Daics & Swanny have is that they changed the way the game was played in their era!

Daics changed the way goals were kicked

Swanny introduced power running in 6-7 minute bursts. He was the first to embrace the theory that starting on the bench was not a bad thing!

Pendles is still the only player that makes time stand still... and it is amazing to watch!

I admit that I am totally biased... I have his 2014 game worn Anzac day jumper on my wall... I have the sherrin with his signature from the 2010 grand final win on my desk and I have various other memorabilia with his signatures....

For me it's Pendles... all day every day.

He will play 300
(whats more he will do it playing through the middle not running up his games total hiding in the forward line like Stevie J did this year)

He will have the most Brownlow votes easily

He will have the most copelands

He will more than likely have the AA's as well.

He is called the Rolls Royce for reason... Nothing else comes close

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16   

Jump to: