Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mark Of The Year

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

doriswilgus wrote:
Simple question:Do you think Howe would have won with that mark if he had still been playing for Melbourne?I do.

BEYOND any shadow of a doubt !! Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Stinger 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:48 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Eh, these are very subjective awards, I have no problem with a fan vote. Isn't that what they're about? Exciting the fans with a great mark or goal? "Experts" don't really have a role in judging that.

Personally I thought Daniher would win due to his mark being overhead, not a chest mark but I've not viewed them very closely.

If you want to involve the fans, have them vote on the finalists. Then put the nominees to a panel to select the best one.
How is it that the AFL constantly make the wrong decision, without thinking through the consequences of their actions?
T2 Sagittarius

T2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Agreed Stinger. The process is back to front.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:51 pm

And let us not forget a boundary maggot cost Daisy Thomas goal of the year.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:40 pm

Stinger wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Eh, these are very subjective awards, I have no problem with a fan vote. Isn't that what they're about? Exciting the fans with a great mark or goal? "Experts" don't really have a role in judging that.

Personally I thought Daniher would win due to his mark being overhead, not a chest mark but I've not viewed them very closely.

If you want to involve the fans, have them vote on the finalists. Then put the nominees to a panel to select the best one.
How is it that the AFL constantly make the wrong decision, without thinking through the consequences of their actions?

I seem to be out of step here, but when did we start treating these awards so seriously? Surely they're just a bit of fun? Unlike the Brownlow they have no impact on a player's future.

We celebrate these goals and marks because they excite the crowd. I see no problem with the public picking the winner. I don't see a place for an expert panel. What would they be basing their judgement on anyway? And we'd have exactly the same outrage if a select panel made a decision that people disagreed with, or even more so, corrupt AFL and all that.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:32 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
K wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
On Fox Footy tonight - Gerard said it was an absolute travesty that Jeremy Howe did not win and that the award is too important to be voted on by the public!! Both he and Robertson said likewise Buddy's goal was the best but that he get the least votes, being in a Sydney team.

Buddy's running goal against Talia? That shouldn't have been a goal at all. After the third bounce he ran almost 25 metres. (Afterwards, the umpiring chief
conceded "20 metres".) This brings back bad memories of Jetta...

It is what it is according to the rules of the game adjudicated by the umpires. If the umpires don't pay it, it's legal. So Buddy's goal was a great goal just as Gary Ablett's mark over Gary Pert was a great mark.

I think Ablett's mark would have been great if he'd touched the ball at some point.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:35 am

Yes - Ablett's mark had all the necessary hallmarks of greatness, except the ball.
foreigner Aries

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:19 am

Didn't some of us say here that they voted for Grundy's mark and we were split between the two? Don't you think that cost him the MOTY? As fans we have failed him. not the AFL nor anyone else. It was awarded on popular vote and our vote was split between Howe and Grundy - simple as that.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:13 am

The combined Howe/Grundy vote was less than D's.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:14 am

Thanks for the info.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:27 pm

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/gillon-mclachlan-confirms-afl-will-review-how-mark-and-goal-of-the-year-are-decided-20170928-gyqf41.html
Quote:

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan has confirmed the league will review the way the Mark and Goal of the Year awards are decided after Jeremy Howe and Lance Franklin suffered shock defeats in the respective categories on Monday night.

The footy community was left widely bemused after Essendon forward Joe Daniher's grab over St Kilda defender Jake Carlisle was picked ahead of Howe's incredible screamer which was taken on the shoulders of Melbourne's Tom McDonald.
npalm 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:53 pm

On a slight tangent (and maybe a new thread required?) is the question as to whether Howe is the greatest mark in AFL\VFL history.

I can recall many players who were renowned for their speccies - Jesaulenko, Hart, Picken etc but in 50+ years of watching footy I can't recall any that consistently took hangers week in week out, year in year out, like Howe has.

The only players I can think of that were anywhere near as consistent as him are Russell Robertson and Sean Smith. (There must be something in the water down at Melbourne).

Really, when it comes to speccies, Howie stands head and shoulders over the rest. Smile

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:58 pm

Sadly, the Essendon votes mixed with the Collingwood hater votes was enough to give Daniher the win. Collingwood votes somewhat divided, doesn't help either.

You could argue that Grundy's mark was better. And you could even argue that Howes second mark was better (Not a finalist, which was a disgrace in itself).

But you'd have to be crazy to think that Howe's first mark against Melbourne was not better than Danihers, which should not even have been in the final 3.

One of the greatest marks of all time losing to a very good grab. Honestly, its a disgrace. And the AFL has been embarrassed again.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:18 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
The combined Howe/Grundy vote was less than D's.

Add a non Collingwood player instead of Grundy and the anti Collingwood vote would have been split. May have been enough for Howe to win.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:22 pm

For those saying it shouldn't be the public voting, the last time we saw outrage over the result it was voted on by the AA panel: Krakouer winning over Walker.

It didn't make the Krakouer mark more popular than Walker's. In fact it had no impact on anything except that Krakouer got the prize and Carlton fans had a cry. It's really not important. The great marks and goals are always remembered, it doesn't matter whether they win the award or not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: