Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Here we go again....

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

There's far too much pot calling the kettle black....dohhhhh!!
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:50 pm

K wrote:
masoncox wrote:
After Rome was sacked in 412 the fanatical christians took over and burnt all the classical books, ransacked temples and took down statues. Fast forward to to 2017 and monuments to the past are being taken down, Isis is burning anything that is not related to them. Free speech is definitely on the back foot. The puritians whether the fundalmental christian, muslim, hindu or buddists or the Greens in my opinion are control freaks. They must have a cause to grind people down, and after winning one battle immediately move on to the next. The preachers who constantly call out racist tendencies are now an industry. It is worth money and prestige. Ed when he called AG an ape only meant to say he was big, ugly and hairy, he did not mean, big, ugly, hairy and black! I really really dislike Ed, cannot stand him, but he is not a racist in the true sense of the word.

Re. Mel Brooks and humour, I asked above whether you think calling someone a chimp and Eddie's King Kong comments are humorous.
So let me ask now: do you think calling someone a chimp and Eddie's King Kong comments are artistically comparable to the ancient world's books, temples and statues?

I work with a lot of muslim and africian kids every day. The muslim kids often call their muslim friends terrorists and the africian kids call their africian friends nigg@r Often when I tell the africian kids off for misbehaving they will scream that I am only picking on them because they are black...and I say that is right it is because you are black..we then both break out in laughter. It is the same with the muslim kids. Same situation, same humour. I like them and they like me. The answer to your question is context, context, context! King Kong or ape to Adam was fine if it was just about his size, Chimp to H was fine if it was about his dance moves. Calling him chimp in publc or with others in attendence would not be appropriate. In house yes out of house no. Any racial undertone no. Obviously you are a member of the puritian society.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:50 pm

masoncox wrote:
K wrote:
masoncox wrote:
After Rome was sacked in 412 the fanatical christians took over and burnt all the classical books, ransacked temples and took down statues. <snip> Ed when he called AG an ape only meant to say he was big, ugly and hairy, he did not mean, big, ugly, hairy and black! I really really dislike Ed, cannot stand him, but he is not a racist in the true sense of the word.

Re. Mel Brooks and humour, I asked above whether you think calling someone a chimp and Eddie's King Kong comments are humorous.
So let me ask now: do you think calling someone a chimp and Eddie's King Kong comments are artistically comparable to the ancient world's books, temples and statues?

I work with a lot of muslim and africian kids every day. The muslim kids often call their muslim friends terrorists and the africian kids call their africian friends nigg@r Often when I tell the africian kids off for misbehaving they will scream that I am only picking on them because they are black...and I say that is right it is because you are black..we then both break out in laughter. It is the same with the muslim kids. Same situation, same humour. I like them and they like me. The answer to your question is context, context, context! King Kong or ape to Adam was fine if it was just about his size, Chimp to H was fine if it was about his dance moves. Calling him chimp in publc or with others in attendence would not be appropriate. In house yes out of house no. Any racial undertone no. Obviously you are a member of the puritian society.

Even restricting ourselves to your criteria and analogies raises questions. Eddie's King Kong comments were over the radio, so this clearly was "in public" or "out of house". At least some of times when H was called chimp, it was "with others in attendance": that's why Shae and Krak have come out and said they heard the nickname (and were bothered by it). And as for context, context, context, the most significant contextual info in your anecdote is that both the African kids and you are laughing and enjoying the exchange (I also note that they initiated it); unfortunately, in the chimp episode, both sides are now very far from laughing -- and people can only indulge in speculation that H was okay with it at the time.

I am not a puritan, but let me leave that discussion for another post...
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:07 pm

Fair enough Mr K but as I said I am sick of this puritian crap. Disecting the inards of all things racist.
My last comment was from a poster from the Adam Goodes saga who stated quite elegantly " who can tell the difference between a racist boo and a normal boo"? And this is where we are at. Fighting imaginary racists on every front, on every street and in every blog. God help us with this rubbish.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:33 am

WPT noted to Mason Cox:

Mel Brookes was right. However if you think this all just PC your seriously mistaken perhaps not for the first time.
I'm a huge Mel Brookes fan and understand the yiddish lines in Blazing Saddles & his other movies too!
This has zero to do with the term PC but a lot to do with people who continue to want to use labels often to disparage, trivialize or oversimplify.[/quote]

Woods asked and commented :

WTP, what's you view then on Jon Faine using the 'n' word on ABC radio? (which H took issue with on Facebook - see my post previous page)

As far as name-calling goes the 'n' word is much worse than Chimp. Chimp can have a jovial element to it (in referring to H's dance moves) even if it was received by H as racist. But the 'n' word - there's no wiggle room there.[/quote]

WPT replied:

Woods, I listen to Jon Faine quite a bit but alas never heard that - I work shift work, not sure what was said to who etc. So I have no idea what the issues were & in the words of Clarke Gable in that wonderful but racist film Gone with the Wind. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" as I drag you into my arms & kiss you ...oops I do declare I don't know what came over me ......... Wink

I know you don't believe what you posted about trying to find a context to rationalize calling H a chimp but nice try...Wink

Last edited by watt price tully on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:55 am; edited 2 times in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:46 am

slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
MOTR wrote:
slangman wrote:
Heritier is an absolute FLOG!!!�

He seems to be struggling with the lack of attention after his football career ended.

I�m a �white� middle aged man of European origin and I could point out numerous instances of racism and sexism that I have had to �endure� over the years. Most people just go on and live their life, others however feel like that is what defines their existence.

Bring back Harry.

I haven't really been following this debate, but when white men start equating their experiences of racism with that experienced by the black community, you can start to see what Harry is up against.

Welcome aboard. This is mostly lets go H thread without exploring issues he has raised (this was occurring in another thread the Mods closed).

Last time most of the comments were simply denigrating of H with a long list of insults. The same is beginning to occur here too. It's not that H doesn't give opportunity for this to occur but the issues he raises are generally not discussed, without generally some level of abuse directed at him

WPT do you think racism is colour specific?....

Generally speaking using that line of argument in this context is seriouly missing the point. "Waddabout me ism" is a spurious argument at the best of times & serves to miss any discussion of H's views but yet again is a vehicle to attack H especially when preceeded with words like let me see....flog...etc. Denigrating labels etc.

Just a yes or no would have sufficed.

Hardly. If your'e going to ask an inane question then a wider context is needed to explain where you're question is coming from.

Context???....yeah absolutely just as some on here were criticised for wanting context put to the � <snip> � nickname but were howled down by the �anti racist brigade� which you are a part of.

Wanting context to a racism allegation isn�t racist in itself.

We could have saved 25 odd pages of discussion if context was provided at the beginning.

Firstly, You've managed to change the subject from your inane question.
Secondly, you still support the notion that he was called <snip> - well done you Even his most ardent critics accept that was wrong. Without re-hashing the past other footballers have supported H's contention.

I asked you a simple question that you refused to answer by changing the subject. I can�t keep up with your inconsistency.
If you�re after context, well I agree, but context shouldn�t be limited to your argument only.

Same goes for changing the subject.

Your inane question from wiki (defintion of inane FYI as you seem not to undertsand it means)

"lacking sense or meaning; silly. "don't badger people with inane questions" synonyms: silly, foolish, stupid, fatuous, idiotic, absurd, ridiculous, ludicrous, laughable, risible, imbecilic, moronic, cretinous, unintelligent, witless, asinine, pointless, senseless, frivolous, nonsensical, brainless, mindless, thoughtless, vacuous, vapid, empty-headed;"

Given that why would anyone bother to reply to your nonsense other than to explain about those who would ask such a question (see above).

I gave your inane question the response it richly deserved.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:04 am

RudeBoy wrote:
There's far too much pot calling the kettle black....dohhhhh!!

Is that your last word on the matter & can I quote you?

The responses to H may well fit "What is a vigilante man?". Then again perhaps they may better match Randy Newman's "roll with the punches".

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:24 am

How about "we are sorry for what occurred back then, we arnt like that now". And then silence.
That sorry word can work magic. Every child learns that pretty fast, even when they don't mean it.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:36 am

think positive wrote:
How about "we are sorry for what occurred back then, we arnt like that now". And then silence.
That sorry word can work magic. Every child learns that pretty fast, even when they don't mean it.

There won't be silence on this thread as long as:

1. WPT and yourself, whose opinions appear to be in the minority, continue to keep the issue alive; and

2. H has access to the media. Someone once said words along the lines of its better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to say something and confirm it.
slangman 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:13 am

watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
MOTR wrote:
slangman wrote:
Heritier is an absolute FLOG!!!�

He seems to be struggling with the lack of attention after his football career ended.

I�m a �white� middle aged man of European origin and I could point out numerous instances of racism and sexism that I have had to �endure� over the years. Most people just go on and live their life, others however feel like that is what defines their existence.

Bring back Harry.

I haven't really been following this debate, but when white men start equating their experiences of racism with that experienced by the black community, you can start to see what Harry is up against.

Welcome aboard. This is mostly lets go H thread without exploring issues he has raised (this was occurring in another thread the Mods closed).

Last time most of the comments were simply denigrating of H with a long list of insults. The same is beginning to occur here too. It's not that H doesn't give opportunity for this to occur but the issues he raises are generally not discussed, without generally some level of abuse directed at him

WPT do you think racism is colour specific?....

Generally speaking using that line of argument in this context is seriouly missing the point. "Waddabout me ism" is a spurious argument at the best of times & serves to miss any discussion of H's views but yet again is a vehicle to attack H especially when preceeded with words like let me see....flog...etc. Denigrating labels etc.

Just a yes or no would have sufficed.

Hardly. If your'e going to ask an inane question then a wider context is needed to explain where you're question is coming from.

Context???....yeah absolutely just as some on here were criticised for wanting context put to the � <snip> � nickname but were howled down by the �anti racist brigade� which you are a part of.

Wanting context to a racism allegation isn�t racist in itself.

We could have saved 25 odd pages of discussion if context was provided at the beginning.

Firstly, You've managed to change the subject from your inane question.
Secondly, you still support the notion that he was called chimp - well done you Even his most ardent critics accept that was wrong. Without re-hashing the past other footballers have supported H's contention.

I asked you a simple question that you refused to answer by changing the subject. I can�t keep up with your inconsistency.
If you�re after context, well I agree, but context shouldn�t be limited to your argument only.

Same goes for changing the subject.

Your inane question from wiki (defintion of inane FYI as you seem not to undertsand it means)

"lacking sense or meaning; silly. "don't badger people with inane questions" synonyms: silly, foolish, stupid, fatuous, idiotic, absurd, ridiculous, ludicrous, laughable, risible, imbecilic, moronic, cretinous, unintelligent, witless, asinine, pointless, senseless, frivolous, nonsensical, brainless, mindless, thoughtless, vacuous, vapid, empty-headed;"

Given that why would anyone bother to reply to your nonsense other than to explain about those who would ask such a question (see above).

I gave your inane question the response it richly deserved.

Deflecting from you own hypocrisy. Now that�s classy 🙄

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:01 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
think positive wrote:

There won't be silence on this thread as long as:

1. WPT and yourself, whose opinions appear to be in the minority, continue to keep the issue alive; and

2. H has access to the media. Someone once said words along the lines of its better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to say something and confirm it.

With respect 5, we did not commence this thread with "here we go again". We merely offered our humble opinions.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Like the last thread, we're not really discussing this in the Collingwood context anymore, and everyone's had a good chance to offer their opinions.

<click>
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: