Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Here we go again....

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Piesnchess wrote:
OK Harry, you have had more than your fifteen mins of fame on this issue, you are now flogging a dead horse, over and over again. Mate, might be time to now STFU, you have made your points, and then some, time to move on, and get on with life. You cant save the world from bigotry,no matter how hard you try. Let it go now.

I doubt H wants to save the world from bigotry. Like Don Quixote and the windmills, he seems to revel in his real-or-imagined fight with it. Take away a man's grand mission and he can feel awfully small.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:36 pm

E wrote:
why do you all care.

He has a right to hold and share ANY view he wants. he is a private citizen and has a right to free speech. he isnt representing a country. He is just voicing the opinions of a private citizen. Isnt that what makes Australia "the free country"?

His views might be extreme to you. you might disagree with them. that is your choice. you could even state your disagreement (although it would be nice to hear your actual disagreement as opposed to saying "he is insane" - which is not an argument against his thoughts and opinions even though in the schoolyard, it usually is enough for the bullies!).

And by the way, the media are the ones who chose to give his views more oxygen than they gave yours.

It is a dangerous practice to allow only one view (your own) to be the only voice that is allowed to be heard. that happens in dictatorships and it isnt a place i want to go.

so why dont you all accept that hearing things that might annoy you or for which you might disagree with is part of the price you pay for being able to say and do nearly anything you want.

So let's hear why you think he's wrong and lay off the personal attacks.

Or not. afterall, its your right to do it. Its just not very persuasive to intelligent people like me!

Ok, I'm confused. He's made himself a publc figure via media statements affecting the reputation of the only thing we have in common on this board. That is why we care.

On your other point, no one is trying to stop him speaking as far as I can see. They are simply exercising their right to free speech in response to his.

So your post makes scant sense to me, sorry (though I usually think you're very astute - this stuff does strange things).

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:11 pm

It's strange where white liberal guilt has lead us.

It's gotten to a place now where some people just can't accept that a person of colour might actually be misguided when voicing an opinion sometimes or just as capable of being a little bat shit like us white folk.

Personally I find it far more insulting and racist to someone of colour if we don't allow ourselves to challenge there opinions if we feel it's warranted because of a fear of being labelled racist or hold them up to the same standards of scrutiny because we feel they need to be protected and aren't as capable of speaking for themselves in defending there point of view.

This hilarious, foul mouthed, insightful beyond her years and totally bat shit young girl makes some good points on the topic of race relations.

I believe she might be the bastard love child of Wokko and Tannin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFZkyr5OGYA

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:12 pm

slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
MOTR wrote:
slangman wrote:
Heritier is an absolute FLOG!!!

He seems to be struggling with the lack of attention after his football career ended.

Im a white middle aged man of European origin and I could point out numerous instances of racism and sexism that I have had to endure over the years. Most people just go on and live their life, others however feel like that is what defines their existence.

Bring back Harry.

I haven't really been following this debate, but when white men start equating their experiences of racism with that experienced by the black community, you can start to see what Harry is up against.

Welcome aboard. This is mostly lets go H thread without exploring issues he has raised (this was occurring in another thread the Mods closed).

Last time most of the comments were simply denigrating of H with a long list of insults. The same is beginning to occur here too. It's not that H doesn't give opportunity for this to occur but the issues he raises are generally not discussed, without generally some level of abuse directed at him

WPT do you think racism is colour specific?....

Generally speaking using that line of argument in this context is seriouly missing the point. "Waddabout me ism" is a spurious argument at the best of times & serves to miss any discussion of H's views but yet again is a vehicle to attack H especially when preceeded with words like let me see....flog...etc. Denigrating labels etc.

Just a yes or no would have sufficed.

Hardly. If your'e going to ask an inane question then a wider context is needed to explain where you're question is coming from.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:26 pm

I don't care anymore. Tired of this endless puritian approach to life.
Harry and the rest....go talk to the hand.
Mel Brookes said that in todays world blazing saddles movie could never had been made because the PC crowd would have howled it down. More humour and less up yourselves should be the order of the day.
slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:39 pm

watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
MOTR wrote:
slangman wrote:

He seems to be struggling with the lack of attention after his football career ended.

Im a white middle aged man of European origin and I could point out numerous instances of racism and sexism that I have had to endure over the years. Most people just go on and live their life, others however feel like that is what defines their existence.

Bring back Harry.

I haven't really been following this debate, but when white men start equating their experiences of racism with that experienced by the black community, you can start to see what Harry is up against.

Welcome aboard. This is mostly lets go H thread without exploring issues he has raised (this was occurring in another thread the Mods closed).

Last time most of the comments were simply denigrating of H with a long list of insults. The same is beginning to occur here too. It's not that H doesn't give opportunity for this to occur but the issues he raises are generally not discussed, without generally some level of abuse directed at him

Generally speaking using that line of argument in this context is seriouly missing the point. "Waddabout me ism" is a spurious argument at the best of times & serves to miss any discussion of H's views but yet again is a vehicle to attack H especially when preceeded with words like let me see....flog...etc. Denigrating labels etc.

Hardly. If your'e going to ask an inane question then a wider context is needed to explain where you're question is coming from.

Context???....yeah absolutely just as some on here were criticised for wanting context put to the chimp nickname but were howled down by the anti racist brigade which you are a part of.

Wanting context to a racism allegation isnt racist in itself.

We could have saved 25 odd pages of discussion if context was provided at the beginning.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:50 pm

slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
MOTR wrote:
slangman wrote:

Bring back Harry.

Context???....yeah absolutely just as some on here were criticised for wanting context put to the chimp nickname but were howled down by the anti racist brigade which you are a part of.

We could have saved 25 odd pages of discussion if context was provided at the beginning.

Firstly, You've managed to change the subject from your inane question.
Secondly, you still support the notion that he was called chimp - well done you Even his most ardent critics accept that was wrong. Without re-hashing the past other footballers have supported H's contention.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:55 pm

masoncox wrote:
Mel Brookes said that in todays world blazing saddles movie could never had been made because the PC crowd would have howled it down. More humour and less up yourselves should be the order of the day.

Mel Brookes was right. However if you think this all just PC your seriously mistaken perhaps not for the first time.

I'm a huge Mel Brookes fan and understand the yiddish lines in Blazing Saddles & his other movies too!

This has zero to do with the term PC but a lot to do with people who continue to want to use labels often to disparage, trivialize or oversimplify.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:15 pm

watt price tully wrote:
masoncox wrote:

Mel Brookes was right. However if you think this all just PC your seriously mistaken perhaps not for the first time.
I'm a huge Mel Brookes fan and understand the yiddish lines in Blazing Saddles & his other movies too!
This has zero to do with the term PC but a lot to do with people who continue to want to use labels often to disparage, trivialize or oversimplify.

MC, do you think calling someone a chimp is humorous (ignore for the moment the question whether it's offensive), or that Eddie's King Kong comment was humorous (for example)? I don't think there's a strong correlation between what is humorous and what "the PC crowd will howl down". In fact, often it seems as if comedians and comedies (South Park comes to mind) offend as a substitute for being funny, since it takes talent to be funny but no talent to offend.

Last edited by K on Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:16 pm

WTP said:"
[/quote]
This has zero to do with the term PC but a lot to do with people who continue to want to use labels often to disparage, trivialize or oversimplify.[/quote]

WTP, what's you view then on Jon Faine using the 'n' word on ABC radio? (which H took issue with on Facebook - see my post previous page)

As far as name-calling goes the 'n' word is much worse than Chimp. Chimp can have a jovial element to it (in referring to H's dance moves) even if it was received by H as racist. But the 'n' word - there's no wiggle room there.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:06 pm

How long before Mel Brooks, a Jew who fought actual Nazis, starts being called a Nazi?
slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:38 pm

watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
MOTR wrote:
slangman wrote:

Bring back Harry.

Firstly, You've managed to change the subject from your inane question.
Secondly, you still support the notion that he was called chimp - well done you Even his most ardent critics accept that was wrong. Without re-hashing the past other footballers have supported H's contention.

I asked you a simple question that you refused to answer by changing the subject. I cant keep up with your inconsistency.
If youre after context, well I agree, but context shouldnt be limited to your argument only.

Same goes for changing the subject.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:01 pm

After Rome was sacked in 412 the fanatical christians took over and burnt all the classical books, ransacked temples and took down statues. Fast forward to to 2017 and monuments to the past are being taken down, Isis is burning anything that is not related to them. Free speech is definitely on the back foot. The puritians whether the fundalmental christian, muslim, hindu or buddists or the Greens in my opinion are control freaks. They must have a cause to grind people down, and after winning one battle immediately move on to the next. The preachers who constantly call out racist tendencies are now an industry. It is worth money and prestige. Ed when he called AG an ape only meant to say he was big, ugly and hairy, he did not mean, big, ugly, hairy and black! I really really dislike Ed, cannot stand him, but he is not a racist in the true sense of the word.
And this is now where we are at, the control freaks constantly check out every comment, every gesture, every look and every action. This is all done in the name of political correctness.
Cannot stand it. Compared to the free hippy 70's, 2017 is misery and boring.
Stinger 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:22 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
I read about half before giving up on the repetitive twisted garbage.

I got to here "After the death of Muhammad Ali..." - did I miss much?
K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:41 pm

masoncox wrote:
After Rome was sacked in 412 the fanatical christians took over and burnt all the classical books, ransacked temples and took down statues. Fast forward to to 2017 and monuments to the past are being taken down, Isis is burning anything that is not related to them. Free speech is definitely on the back foot. The puritians whether the fundalmental christian, muslim, hindu or buddists or the Greens in my opinion are control freaks. They must have a cause to grind people down, and after winning one battle immediately move on to the next. The preachers who constantly call out racist tendencies are now an industry. It is worth money and prestige. Ed when he called AG an ape only meant to say he was big, ugly and hairy, he did not mean, big, ugly, hairy and black! I really really dislike Ed, cannot stand him, but he is not a racist in the true sense of the word.

Re. Mel Brooks and humour, I asked above whether you think calling someone a chimp and Eddie's King Kong comments are humorous.
So let me ask now: do you think calling someone a chimp and Eddie's King Kong comments are artistically comparable to the ancient world's books, temples and statues?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: