Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jack Watts (to Port Adelaide confirmed)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely Melbournes first draft pick will be going to Adelaide for Lever so I can't see the Watts trade being a simple swap of first round draft picks. It will need to be more complicated than that, particularly as we don't currently have a second round draft pick.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:18 pm

^^The theory is that they get our pick 6 for 10 and Watts. They then use pick 6 in a deal for Lever, it's higher value helping them get the deal done.

All premature guesswork at the moment though. Lever to Melbourne hasn't even been confirmed yet.

Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:43 pm

^ I can't see a single high end draft pick (6) being enough for Lever. He was originally pick 14 and te crows have put 3 years into him. He is probably the the best young defender in the comp.

Surely they would be better off packaging their number 10 draft pick and the resulting second round draft pick for a Watts trade and giving both to Adelaide?

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:53 am

Obviously we are not prepared to give up pick 6 as now Port are the club that want him.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:28 am

If pick six is enough to secure Brander in the national draft there's no need to downgrade our first draft pick because Watts or a similar player doesn't offset the loss of a player like Brander.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:59 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
If pick six is enough to secure Brander in the national draft there's no need to downgrade our first draft pick because Watts or a similar player doesn't offset the loss of a player like Brander.

Agree why waste a pick 6 on a very average player like Watts when the potential is a 200 game player hopefully a KPF

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:27 pm

Watts would be worth ONLY our pick in the 30s, certainly NO more !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
T2 Sagittarius

T2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Do not want. Need to focus on landing a bigger, KPP fish.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:22 pm

We need to be smart here and go to the draft. I'm sorry but watts offers very little in terms of high end skills and pace. He's inconsistent and will spend at least a quarter of the season in the vfl. If there's any talent in the first 10 picks then let's tap into that rather than push ourselves back further, potentially lose out on the guy we want and in return gain and inconsistent player. I also refuse to do melscum any favours but if 6 is what they want then petracca come on down.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:47 pm

WarrenerraW wrote:
We need to be smart here and go to the draft. I'm sorry but watts offers very little in terms of high end skills and pace. He's inconsistent and will spend at least a quarter of the season in the vfl. If there's any talent in the first 10 picks then let's tap into that rather than push ourselves back further, potentially lose out on the guy we want and in return gain and inconsistent player. I also refuse to do melscum any favours but if 6 is what they want then petracca come on down.

What he said. Cool
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:00 pm

NO rejects, lets just go for more Kids, talented kids.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:20 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
NO rejects, lets just go for more Kids, talented kids.

Providing it's a good first round at least, and not a spud-fest.

Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:48 am

RudeBoy wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:

What he said. Cool

+1

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:58 am

Would people feel different if he were a free agent?
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:02 am

stui magpie wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Remind me, is this the guy who copped a public dressing down from his coach for not being fit enough to play seniors in round one. Was he the same guy who was dropped twice through the season for not meeting the standard required on and off the field.

Seriously, why would we even consider throwing a life line to yet another list clogger looking for his last fat contract before riding off into the sunset.
I'm over picking up flawed players that only improve our list profile but not our chances of winning a game a footy.

Worse players have turned their careers around with a change of club.

That's true but at 27 ( in 2018 ) and close to 200 games under his belt, should we honestly expect any improvement or consistency from him going forward.
I'm ok with Watts at his best but it's just all to few and far between for mine.

Not advocating for Watts here, but both Lee Brown and Varcoe have comer over to us at a similar age and with similar inconsistency and delivered. It can happen, doesn't mean it will.

While I'm not a Watts fan, what he could bring would suit where the game is going. He's an upgrade on Jessie White, but we couldn't play 3 talls without having issues, so Watts may be in competition with Cox for the 2nd tall spot. Is that a smart investment? I'd prefer Stringer

I'm not convinced that Watts can be compared with Brown or Varcoe. Varcoe was a much better player than Watts in his early career, he subsequently got injuries and lost focus. A change of clubs brought him back to his early form - no-one would want to bring Watts back to his early form. There was never a problem with Leigh Brown's attitude or abilities. The problem was North and Freo could never find the right role for him. Malthouse's talent as coach was that he found the right way to deploy Leroy. Jack Watts has been tried in a multitude of roles and positions and has underachieved in all of them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 5 of 14   

Jump to: