Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies into Jake Lever (confirmed - gone to Dees)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to have.

You'd happily trade pick 6 for him, otherwise you'd be hoping to pick up a Key Position Player like him with it anyhow with no exposed form at AFL level.

He's not Dangerfield or Treloar, so two picks or a high pick and a player aren't really required I wouldn't think.

Having signed Shazza again recently, I wouldn't think we are ready to part company with him.

magpie57 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:12 pm

That's a yes from me
magpie57 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:12 pm

That's a yes from me
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:05 pm

It would be nice if we could pick him up for pick 6. I figure that we are looking for a KPP with that pick anyway and he is young enough for us to get ample service over the next 8 years or so.

Adelaide will say that he has shown himself to be capably at this level so he should go for a premium price. We can point to him already having done a knee prior to drafting and missing 6 games through injury this year as well.

Lever should go on to become a gun. So too should any of the pacey mids available at #6 and that's what Adelaide needs more than another tall back. Should come on at about the same time too.

We will probably have to give something more than #6 but hopefully not too much.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:05 pm

Please make it happen. Cool
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:58 pm

I think we should be chasing players that play forward not in defence.

Yeah Lever is a good player, but our backline isn't our main problem right now.
Talk of giving 2 first round picks for any backman is ludicrous. Get Darcy some help, because I'm not convinced Reid is the answer there & I prefer him in the back half. Then we don't need another backman.
4everpies 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:09 pm

mudlark wrote:
We've got more chance of getting kicked by a seal, than getting Lever. Just a kite flying exercise by his management team and I doubt he is going anywhere as it would appear the Crows are on a wave that could last a few years.If Scharenburg is lost to Collingwood then I really hope Buckley goes as well because he has almost destroyed this kids confidence and will to stay with us. Dropping him every other week and playing Ramsey,Smith and Phillips in front of him would have been a gut wrenching insult that would see most players want to leave.Same with mcGovern BTW.

I think you'll find that Scharenberg is being managed this year to allow his body to get used to AFL level. It has been quite a consistent pattern to when he plays and when he doesn't. It is in his best interest and I'm sure he's cool with it.
mudlark 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:54 pm

4everpies wrote:
mudlark wrote:
We've got more chance of getting kicked by a seal, than getting Lever. Just a kite flying exercise by his management team and I doubt he is going anywhere as it would appear the Crows are on a wave that could last a few years.If Scharenburg is lost to Collingwood then I really hope Buckley goes as well because he has almost destroyed this kids confidence and will to stay with us. Dropping him every other week and playing Ramsey,Smith and Phillips in front of him would have been a gut wrenching insult that would see most players want to leave.Same with mcGovern BTW.

I think you'll find that Scharenberg is being managed this year to allow his body to get used to AFL level. It has been quite a consistent pattern to when he plays and when he doesn't. It is in his best interest and I'm sure he's cool with it.
l hope you're right because Ireckon he's a good one.
DT 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:02 am

woftam wrote:
I think we should be chasing players that play forward not in defence.

Yeah Lever is a good player, but our backline isn't our main problem right now.
Talk of giving 2 first round picks for any backman is ludicrous. Get Darcy some help, because I'm not convinced Reid is the answer there & I prefer him in the back half. Then we don't need another backman.

I think we need both tall key defenders and forwards. Dunn Goldsack and Schade are C to D Grade key backs. Reid is a B Grade back and a C Grade forward who may hit B Grade with continuity. Lever is an A Grade defender so this would alleviate the need for Reid to go back. Dunn and Goldsack are around 30 too and McLarty is only 19 so we have a massive problem due to poor recruiting over the last 4 years.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:43 am

It's a definite yes on Lever. Would very happily trade our first pick for him. Drafting a young tall is not going to help us for a while, where trading in Lever definitely would clearly improve the team for 2018.

We may need a forward "more" than a defender, but we do need both into the future (Goldsack and Dunn won't be around for long) and you have to take what's available. Lever is a top prospect and you'd chase him hard if there was a chance he was leaving the Crows, hard to believe there'd be a better forward available at a reasonable price.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:30 am

Can we trade our first round pick? I remember hearing somewhere, that the rules wouldn't allow us to trade our first pick for whatever reason?

If we can, then pick 6 is well worth a player thats barely 21, easily in the best 22 and fills a need.

I guess the question is, what else does it take to get him?

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:38 am

Dont like Robbo much at all.

But he makes some interesting points here:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-360-extra/afl-360-extra-the-explosion-in-payments-to-young-players-could-soon-cause-issues-for-afl-clubs/news-story/85cd09e98862061e9e89f5adebdfa7fd

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:40 am

^ I don't think what Robbo and Whately say here makes much sense. Yes, $800k is a lot for a layer of Lever's age, but good key position players are not all that common.

Clubs have a tightly controlled salary cap and must pay about 95% of that to their list each year, irrespective of on-field performance. So there are always some players getting paid more than they are notionally worth (e.g. Brisbane's list gets paid about 95% of what the Crows list does despite large discrepancies in results). Plus, the salary cap is rising materially so player payments must rise with it.

Pies have serviceable key backs in Dunn and Goldsack, but would be happy to part with higher amounts of money to get someone like Lever who has many years of service in him and a fair amount of talent and hardness.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:25 pm

Anyone still out there wanting to trade Scharenberg after watching him last night?
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:27 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Dont like Robbo much at all.

But he makes some interesting points here:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-360-extra/afl-360-extra-the-explosion-in-payments-to-young-players-could-soon-cause-issues-for-afl-clubs/news-story/85cd09e98862061e9e89f5adebdfa7fd

There may be some point there, but nothing can be done about it. Opposition clubs will offer more for players to entice them to leave. Their current club will then have to offer more to get them to stay. Either way the player is getting paid.

Lever's shown enough for clubs to have a good idea of where he'll be in a few years. Wait a couple of more years to sign him and he'll almost certainly cost more. The Tom Boyd signing was much more of a gamble.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15   

Jump to: