Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Transgender athletes back on the agenda

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Having said all that, I'll repeat the question I asked earlier as I really don't get all this gender stuff, if someone identifies as non binary and wants to play competitive sport, who do they play against? What competition do they join?

It’s a tough question and one I was discussing with a friend myself the other day. I suppose it’s something you’d have to ask individual non-binary people about (I certainly can’t speak for them), but my guess is that they’d either settle for competing with their birth gender, push for a separate competition (which probably isn’t really viable), seek to have women’s sports extended to non-binary participants (there’s some precedent for this happening in other women-only spaces), just sit out gender-segregated competitive sport altogether or seek to abolish gender segregation in sport altogether. I’m guessing different people will give you different answers.

If anyone’s genuinely interested in this topic, here’s an article I found on it:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mvk33x/this-gender-neutral-athlete-wants-to-end-sex-segregation-in-sports

so why cant transgenders compete with their birth gender? thats is imo the only fair answer

as for the bolded, so yeah, lets just cut natural born females out of sport full stop! cos thats what that means.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:45 pm

think positive wrote:
as for the bolded, so yeah, lets just cut natural born females out of sport full stop! cos thats what that means.

Might be the only way to stop the whinging. Razz

In all seriousness, though, women’s sport is alive and well. In one of those articles I posted above, I read that the most recent summer Olympics relaxed entry rules for trans women for the first time. Guess how many transgender women competed? Zero.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:16 am

David wrote:
think positive wrote:

Might be the only way to stop the whinging. Razz

In all seriousness, though, women’s sport is alive and well. In one of those articles I posted above, I read that the most recent summer Olympics relaxed entry rules for trans women for the first time. Guess how many transgender women competed? Zero.

if you really want to stop me whinging send those 57 black guys back home, the ones that got picked up this week for home invasions - oh wait now im racist!

its only alive and well because they didnt compete - just wait til they let that trans on the footy team! and its actually not alive and well, just ask the sprinter in the video, the cyclists who have been beaten, the former holder of the sprint world record, yeah im guessing they dont think its all good!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:52 am

The point is that, while I'm sure there were transgender athletes who would have liked to compete, none were presumably good enough. And whatever the complicated reasons for that lack of participation last time around, that's an indication that fears about transgender dominance of women's sport are way overblown – and future trans participation and even gold medals and world record-breaking isn't going to change that.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:43 pm

I don’t know why an6 didn5 compete, bu5 the6 are breaking world records so obviously it’s not because they are not good enough. Not good enough for men’s maybe.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:46 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Having said all that, I'll repeat the question I asked earlier as I really don't get all this gender stuff, if someone identifies as non binary and wants to play competitive sport, who do they play against? What competition do they join?

It’s a tough question and one I was discussing with a friend myself the other day. I suppose it’s something you’d have to ask individual non-binary people about (I certainly can’t speak for them), but my guess is that they’d either settle for competing with their birth gender, push for a separate competition (which probably isn’t really viable), seek to have women’s sports extended to non-binary participants (there’s some precedent for this happening in other women-only spaces), just sit out gender-segregated competitive sport altogether or seek to abolish gender segregation in sport altogether. I’m guessing different people will give you different answers.

If anyone’s genuinely interested in this topic, here’s an article I found on it:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mvk33x/this-gender-neutral-athlete-wants-to-end-sex-segregation-in-sports

Interesting article. Despite the sympathy toward the subject, they do state that the science is clear that men have an advantage.

A large part of the rest I just can't get my head around, I guess I'm stuck in the binary view.

Born one sex but having problems with that identity I can get, hence transgender people. But identifying as neither I just don't get. What exactly is the bit they're rejecting? The stereotype of how a male or female behaves ?

There's a whole industry based around the binary and improving conditions for women whether it be pay, management/leadership roles or non traditional work (like STEM) so I can see why many in that industry would have issues with breaking down the binary.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:42 am

https://babylonbee.com/news/motorcycle-that-identifies-as-bicycle-sets-world-cycling-record
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:08 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
https://babylonbee.com/news/motorcycle-that-identifies-as-bicycle-sets-world-cycling-record

So, so good.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:55 pm

Hehe, love it!
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:28 pm

https://www.facebook.com/624484764654114/posts/780179332417989/

Laughing

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:03 pm

Thanks. I was hoping to see the clip.
Randy Savage would've made a "stunning a brave" woman.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:11 am

This is an interesting article. I make no comment other than I still don't get it, but it's an interesting read.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-19/australia-talks-what-its-like-to-parent-a-non-binary-child/11714740

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:54 am

hmm, how do they pronounce the name?

personally i reckon they are adding to the kids confusion.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:23 pm

Perhaps the transition went like this?

"Mummies, I'm a boy."
"Ugh, men are disgusting, evil, rapists!"
"Mummies, I'm a boy."
"Enough of your oppressive, patriarchal bullshit!"
"Mummies, I'm a non=binary, two-spirit pansexual."
"We love you Caius".
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:42 pm

^ I think that's a deeply unfair (and, dare I say it, homophobic) presumption. As it happens, I did some googling out of curiosity and found an old blog that one of the mothers had written from around the time when she was trying to conceive a child up to a couple of years into early parenthood. I obviously don't have the time or interest to go through all of it, but from the couple of posts I've read she speaks candidly and honestly about the pride and excitement she feels about the boy she is going to give birth to, and there's no hint that I can detect of an agenda to suppress his maleness. Having read that, your grotesque caricature just seems even more heartless and divorced from reality.

Of course, different parents will react in different ways to their child expressing ambivalence about their gender, and I do sometimes wonder if some parents may attach too much weight to early declarations of gender identity (or lack thereof). But the fact is that some children do, from a very early age, express serious discomfort with the gender role that is placed upon them. Sometimes it can be reasonably dismissed as a whim, and I'd be the last to advise parents to jump at the first sign of gender dysphoria and put their child on hormone treatments; but, when this goes on for years, then a parent is left with the choice to either take it seriously and work to accommodate the child's preferences, or else to suppress them and potentially make them miserable in the process. From my observation, parents – no matter how politically conservative or uneducated about trans or non-binary stuff they may be to begin with – usually end up being supportive in the long run, because they love their child and understand that these preferences won't simply go away. By the same token, automatically treating a same-sex couple as the deliberate architects of their child's gender questioning – because, you know, that's just the kind of nefarious thing gay parents are supposed to do, or something – is allowing prejudice to shape your response to this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 22 of 36   

Jump to: