Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jake Stringer is available

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, there's a genuine counterfactual for you.
Bay Pie 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:49 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
The "Heath Shaw scenario" - was that the one where we accidentally won a premiership by recruiting players for their talent, rather than their sense of civic responsibility?

Moreso, when a player refuses to toe the leadership groups, coaches and clubs line. Tail trying to wag the dog and all.

Perhaps the Bulldogs should do everything in their power to bend to Stringers poor attitude, even if it means moving on Bevo. That's what Shaw was hoping for.

On Shaw, has any player over the last 20/30 years been suspended for longer than Shaw's 6 and 8 week suspension for dumb off field shite (both under Malthouses watch) and another for grabbing an umpire. He got away with so much in those days didn't he???? That's not to mention being dropped for bad skinfolds (if you believe that's the reason and not something a helluva lot more serious but covered up to protect him) I don't think even Barry Hall was suspended for 15 weeks during his career. Happy to be corrected. Then there was round one v NM in 2014 where Beams and Shaw were both named in the team on Thursday night but were late scratchings on the Sunday before the game. **sniff sniff**. Beams misses 3 months+ for a Quad *pleaseeeee* and Shaw back next week. Hmmmmm. Yep, such a dedicated clubman.

Last edited by Bay Pie on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:55 pm

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
The Dogs will demand a high price. We would have to give something of value to obtain his services.

Is Bucks a reformer? History suggests no.

If Stringer has put the marriage break-up behind him then he would be a very good pick up however the price might be too unaffordable.

Interesting question. No doubt in my mind that Varcoe has been a better player for us than at Geelong, likewise Howe and maybe Dunn.

WHE has shown a lot too.

So there's definitely evidence that he/we can take a player from another club and improve their commitment and output.

I was more thinking what K noted that is, Buck's capacity to manage players who might present with challenging issues like Heath Shaw etc. We know MM could but MM at Collingwood was a very experienced coach prior to landing at Collingwood

Bay Pie 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:01 pm

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
The Dogs will demand a high price. We would have to give something of value to obtain his services.

Is Bucks a reformer? History suggests no.

If Stringer has put the marriage break-up behind him then he would be a very good pick up however the price might be too unaffordable.

Interesting question. No doubt in my mind that Varcoe has been a better player for us than at Geelong, likewise Howe and maybe Dunn.

WHE has shown a lot too.

So there's definitely evidence that he/we can take a player from another club and improve their commitment and output.

I was more thinking what K noted that is, Buck's capacity to manage players who might present with challenging issues like Heath Shaw etc. We know MM could but MM at Collingwood was a very experienced coach prior to landing at Collingwood

Malthouses way of handling it was to ignore it and let it go unchecked. Why otherwise would Shaw get suspended for 14 weeks under Malthouse for dumb off filed shite.?........because Malthouse wouldn't manage it and preferred to just let it go.

Bay Pie 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:03 pm

On Stringer, will cost too much. Not worth pick 6 or next 1st rounder. Best we could offer is next years 2nd rounder.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:04 pm

^

Correct. MM would ignore just about anything off field, if he could, provided you performed on game day. gawd help you if you were a fringe player and tried it though.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:05 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Correct. MM would ignore just about anything off field, if he could, provided you performed on game day. gawd help you if you were a fringe player and tried it though.

Yep the inner circle were treated as demi gods and the rest toed the line or else
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:15 pm

With MM, anything was ok... unless you got caught. So evasion was the order of the day. Social media was in its infancy, Twitter didn't launch until July 2006, Facebook 2004. Internet forums were king then, and it wasn't until possibly around 2012/13 that social media really started to influence things in Australia.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:37 pm

Cam wrote:
With MM, anything was ok... unless you got caught. So evasion was the order of the day. Social media was in its infancy, Twitter didn't launch until July 2006, Facebook 2004. Internet forums were king then, and it wasn't until possibly around 2012/13 that social media really started to influence things in Australia.

Twitter, facebook and social media didn't change things on their own. It was the smartphone with the ability to take photos and video and upload it instantly to social media.

The first iphone was in 2007. That's year zero. by mid 2015 over 15 million smartphones in Australia. Anything you do in public can be on social media in seconds and the media are all over it.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:54 pm

Bay Pie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
The "Heath Shaw scenario" - was that the one where we accidentally won a premiership by recruiting players for their talent, rather than their sense of civic responsibility?

Moreso, when a player refuses to toe the leadership groups, coaches and clubs line. Tail trying to wag the dog and all.

Perhaps the Bulldogs should do everything in their power to bend to Stringers poor attitude, even if it means moving on Bevo. That's what Shaw was hoping for.

On Shaw, has any player over the last 20/30 years been suspended for longer than Shaw's 6 and 8 week suspension for dumb off field shite (both under Malthouses watch) and another for grabbing an umpire. He got away with so much in those days didn't he???? That's not to mention being dropped for bad skinfolds (if you believe that's the reason and not something a helluva lot more serious but covered up to protect him) I don't think even Barry Hall was suspended for 15 weeks during his career. Happy to be corrected. Then there was round one v NM in 2014 where Beams and Shaw were both named in the team on Thursday night but were late scratchings on the Sunday before the game. **sniff sniff**. Beams misses 3 months+ for a Quad *pleaseeeee* and Shaw back next week. Hmmmmm. Yep, such a dedicated clubman.

Meanwhile, I'm watching him play his way into another prelim. But carry on.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:56 pm

I would trade Adams for Stringer in a heartbeat.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:18 pm

^

I wouldn't

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:47 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Now, there's a famous Collingwood myth being trotted out. We were hopeless in 2013 and no chance to win that final. I was so disinterested in it that I didn't even use the free ticket I was given - or watch it on the TV. Hilariously, Shaw was the fall-guy for a generally inept performance.

I'd had enough of Shaw before the final, it was just the final straw. He deserved the criticism for that game. His season as a whole was awful with far more petulance than is acceptable from any player. Went from one of my favourite players to hoping he'd be traded.

In the end Shaw's flame out proved beneficial. Much more worthwhile having Adams on our list in 2018.

themonk 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:09 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
I would trade Adams for Stringer in a heartbeat.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Adams is our next captain
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:46 am

Collingwood has been drawn into the Stringer conversation as the Bombers are offering up small change. Stringer will be a Bomber.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14   

Jump to: