Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jake Stringer is available

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

after the heath shaw scenario, he would of only ended up at collingwood if we had a different head coach.

not a chance of being here.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:03 pm

The "Heath Shaw scenario" - was that the one where we accidentally won a premiership by recruiting players for their talent, rather than their sense of civic responsibility?
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:05 am

We won a premiership by forcing Mick to recruit a genuine ruck man - which he previously wouldn't do.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:21 am

Is that quite right? We used pick 14 or 18 or something to get Cam Wood from the Bears. We just had to keep using our first round pick on a ruckman until we got a real one. Happily, it only took two goes.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:20 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
The "Heath Shaw scenario" - was that the one where we accidentally won a premiership by recruiting players for their talent, rather than their sense of civic responsibility?

Heath was rightly moved on. Once your problems start showing on the field they can no longer be tolerated. His final season was one to forget. It didn't help that he was moving out of our desired age profile and we had a need for young talent. In the end the deal with the Giants was win-win.

Seems to be a similar case with Stringer. The question will be whether he can mature and make a more positive contribution at his new club.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:40 am

Now, there's a famous Collingwood myth being trotted out. We were hopeless in 2013 and no chance to win that final. I was so disinterested in it that I didn't even use the free ticket I was given - or watch it on the TV. Hilariously, Shaw was the fall-guy for a generally inept performance.

Remember all the postseason rubbish about how we couldn't run like Port and we were years behind them fitness-wise, how they had set a new standard for the competition and all that had to change? How'd they go the next week? They were flattered by a 16 point loss (actually 11 scoring shots) to an inaccurate Geelong team that thrashed them on inside 50s 65 to 39.

Happily for Shaw, it wasn't his "final season", just the last final Collingwood managed to reach during his stellar career. From him, since, only a lazy 87 games over the next 4 years as the most talented player in the most talented squad of footballers in the country. Unsurprisingly, because he's an all-time great in his position, his new team got better - and our team has declined.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:32 am

Stringer is obviously not an option to recruit after what Bevo said. So we move on to a more realistic option of recruiting a proven player with the right attitude of getting on with his teammates and the coach. That's not to say we recruit only choir boys. Howe is not a choir boy. He makes mistakes but he's a good guy to have around the place because he adds humour to the place. Those are the players we want to recruit because training is a drudgery and you need players to lighten the atmosphere. That's not what Stringer offers. Anyone can have a broken relationship but when you don't bother putting in at training it's time to pull the plug.
Pacino 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:40 am

Actually, I think he would make the perfect half back rebound player.

Strong, good overhead, fast and a good kick. This would be my preference if he were recruited to the pies and Maynard was moved onto the ball.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:06 am

The Dogs will demand a high price. We would have to give something of value to obtain his services.

Is Bucks a reformer? History suggests no.

If Stringer has put the marriage break-up behind him then he would be a very good pick up however the price might be too unaffordable.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:13 am

watt price tully wrote:
The Dogs will demand a high price. We would have to give something of value to obtain his services.

If Stringer has put the marriage break-up behind him then he would be a very good pick up however the price might be too unaffordable.

Interesting question. No doubt in my mind that Varcoe has been a better player for us than at Geelong, likewise Howe and maybe Dunn.

WHE has shown a lot too.

So there's definitely evidence that he/we can take a player from another club and improve their commitment and output.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:22 am

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Interesting question. No doubt in my mind that Varcoe has been a better player for us than at Geelong, likewise Howe and maybe Dunn.

WHE has shown a lot too.

So there's definitely evidence that he/we can take a player from another club and improve their commitment and output.

I'm not aware of any commitment problems, let alone major personal issues, coming with the players you mention. For example, WHE just had injuries and all those early draft picks to compete with.
So, modify the question "Is Bucks a reformer?" to "Is Bucks a reformer of players with major personal issues?"
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:24 am

Stui, Varcoe was alright before we got him.

Content warning: not for the faint-hearted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNDUjPpjvRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGASMeHhLKw
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:04 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Is that quite right? We used pick 14 or 18 or something to get Cam Wood from the Bears. We just had to keep using our first round pick on a ruckman until we got a real one. Happily, it only took two goes.

I said genuine ruckman - Wood was never that.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:16 am

Fair enough. Collingwood used its first round picks to get Fraser, McKie, Anthony Rocca, Wood and Jolly over that period. All were recruited as rucks. It's true that by the 2007 prelim we'd reached a low ebb in our ruck stocks - but the Club didn't sit on its hands about that.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:26 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Now, there's a famous Collingwood myth being trotted out. We were hopeless in 2013 and no chance to win that final. I was so disinterested in it that I didn't even use the free ticket I was given - or watch it on the TV. Hilariously, Shaw was the fall-guy for a generally inept performance.

Hmmm.... Perhaps if you had watched it, your opinion would be a bit different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14   

Jump to: