Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley’s interchange comments

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:57 pm
Post subject: Buckley’s interchange commentsReply with quote

<split from post-match thread, as I figure this is worthy of its own discussion. Thanks, David for BBMods.>

Wow. According to Bucks we had no interchange rotations for 20 mins during the 3rd quarter. Part of the reason we ran out of legs. That's not good enough.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. I wonder if that happened when a couple of players were getting patched up - Sidey and Mihocek??
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:08 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
... According to Bucks we had no interchange rotations for 20 mins during the 3rd quarter. ...

We had none because...??? They cannot communicate with each other??
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:49 am

His comments re no rotations for 20 mins is so damn shocking. Like, NO ONE has any say other than the players. How unprofessional is that??? I listened to the whole post match conference. Basically said players didn’t seem to want to come off cos thy were having too much fun winning and winning well. No one in the box taking note of rotations wants to pull rank? Ridiculous.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:04 am

If this is even mostly true, it shows that the commentators who bang on each week about hating players coming off simply do not know what they are talking about.

I don't know how what the coach said can happen. You can only try winging it with rotations right at the end, e.g. time on in the last quarter. Otherwise, you're screwed.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:05 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
His comments re no rotations for 20 mins is so damn shocking. Like, NO ONE has any say other than the players. How unprofessional is that??? I listened to the whole post match conference. Basically said players didn’t seem to want to come off cos thy were having too much fun winning and winning well. No one in the box taking note of rotations wants to pull rank? Ridiculous.

It's a bit weird isn't it? I always thought that the players had little say in when they rotated for resting purposes during a game - that a nebulous someone (coaches, fitness guys?) strategized as to who rotated over the course of the game and when.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:07 am

^ I believe it's standard to use software to determine rotations. Did our club really decide to switch it off and use The Force?
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:32 am

I didn't watch the game unfortunately, but have just tuned into the conversation. I find it utterly absurd that Bucks should complain that "we didn't have any rotations" for an extended period, and that this could have caused our skills to erode due to fatigue. Surely rotations are not decided by the players on the field?? Surely the coaches have responsibility to manage this aspect in order to rationally co-ordinate our manpower?? I find such a statement to be deeply concerning in how totally inexplicable and ridiculous it sounds.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:38 am

Re. the lack of rotations for 20 minutes of the 3rd quarter.

Anybody know who the players were who were left on the bench during that period?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:59 am

Obviously Dunn was off injured, but otherwise the players who spent the least time on ground were Brayden Sier (82:55), Taylor Adams (82:59) and Jack Crisp (90:46), five others (Thomas, De Goey, Mayne, Daicos and Crocker) who played 92–93 minutes and then all other players playing 98 minutes+, so it looks pretty much certain that Sier and Adams were two of them.

Last edited by David on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:06 pm

Here’s the relevant remarks from Buckley’s press conference (thanks to Jezza):

Nathan Buckley wrote:
"We had a bit of a chat in the end. We had a period there (and this is on us) in the third quarter where we didn't rotate anyone for about 20 minutes so that was on us and I think that bites you. That might be a little bit of a heads up to what it looks like if you want drop rotations right back, then that's what the footy will look like as the players will be that fatigued that the skills will drop right off. We think that was a significant factor in our last quarter and the back part of the third quarter. The work rate of our players dropped off. Gold Coast looked like they were able to maintain theirs, but there's plenty of reasons. We will have a look at it, but we didn't like what we saw".

Q: Back on the lack of rotations in the third quarter, was the play stuck on one side of the field and you couldn't get players off or was it something else?

"I thought when you're going well so sometimes players don't want to come off as they're enjoying themselves that much that they want to stay there, but the discipline to be able to do that is an underrated part of it. You do need to share the load physically between 22 players and when you miss on a couple of rotations it does affect you. When you have 18 blokes who decide to not rotate for a period of time or the play gets stuck, so I think it's probably a bit of both. It will come up in our review and we'll see if it's got any merit. At this stage, we're clutching at straws because it went from really good for us to not great. You have to give credit to the opposition, there's a little bit of our rotations, we didn't control the ball quite as well and it got quite slippery. I think for both sides the clean handling went out of the game because I thought it was pretty good for the conditions early. There's a fair few things in the mix".

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:17 pm

Not sure I would use the word “ debacle “.
We won the game, we move up to second and we learn from another game of footy.
It isn’t often everything goes right on game day in the box or on the field. The trick is to learn from it and be better prepared next time around. Whatever went wrong can now be discussed and dissected so as not to occur again.
E 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:42 pm

i think Nathan Buckely was simply making a political statement to the rules committee to let them know that if they proceed with their plan to limit rotations, the game will be crap as a result.......
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:46 pm

Ok, so re-watching the footage, we see Mihocek come on for Crisp at the 17 minute mark, and Adams is also seen waiting to come on. There’s only 11 minutes left in the quarter at this point, so it’s safe to presume that Bucks is referring to the first 17 minutes of the quarter; but earlier, Thomas and Maynard head to the bench at the 5 minute mark, and Adams and Mihocek are still on the field 3 minutes and 9 minutes into the quarter respectively, so what 20 minutes is Buckley referring to, exactly? Is he having a lend of us?
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:02 pm

^^I guess it was likely an exaggeration, error or 20 mins real time rather than game time. Also, he didn't definitively say that the problem was players deciding not to come off, but that it would be reviewed.

We also had players being patched up at times and Dunn going off injured, so this could have been part of the reason why some rotations were missed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: