Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Heritier Lumumba about to launch a broadside at the club

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redlight 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:41 am
Post subject: Heritier Lumumba about to launch a broadside at the clubReply with quote

H, it seems, has found his time out of the Collingwood spotlight too much, so now he's about to screen a documentary on his life on SBS...

Quote:
Having put up with the nickname <snip> because he wanted to fit in at Collingwood, Lumumba felt he had opened himself to his teammates and coaches about his lifelong insecurities about the colour of his skin. He had called a team meeting in which he also compared racism with homophobia. And his coach Buckley, he felt, had mocked him.

Quote:
"Lumumba protesting at the nickname "Les" � short for lesbian � directed by players at teammate Paul Seedsman, following some subsequent jokes over Seedsman's haircut."

Quote:
As his former captain Maxwell observes on Fair Game the session with the players and coaches was probably more helpful to Lumumba than to the others in the room.

Quote:
"Lumumba identified his decision to take on president McGuire the previous year over the King Kong jibe as the beginning of the end. And it came, he believes, when he was enjoying the best form of his playing career."

Quote:
"I wouldn't say it's something I regret but I will say I paid the price. As I got older and more confident to speak I became the educator and that was very tiring."

Quote:
"He does not expect the documentary will resonate with all Australians. "I'm well aware of this so-called white fragility," Lumumba said. "We saw that when Adam [Goodes] spoke his truth. When a person of colour speaks about his or her reality, people have an issue with confronting that reality because of the system they're in.

"I'm not looking for the approval of people unwilling to give up their privilege. Of people who are always allowed to the front of the queue. That is seen as oppression for them."

Quote:
The documentary does not cover his time at Melbourne but he says now it rankled him that at this club, too

Much more at the link...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/nathan-buckley-confrontation-was-the-final-straw-at-collingwood-for-heritier-lumumba-20170818-gxz5ea.html
Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't H himself make a joke at the members club function in front of 3000+ at the Plennary back in 2013 , about giving the girls "his meat"
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:53 am

He certainly nails the AFL's corporate 'diversity and tolerance' policy for the bullshit that it is.

Quote:
"The players' association visit the clubs once a year. They don't talk about racism, they talk about racial vilification. It was always 'don't say this, you can't say that' – and the AFL itself doesn't really understand racism.

"Their total lack of education about racism leads to a total lack of education among the players. To say I didn't experience racism even at Melbourne from some supporters would be an absolute lie.

"Now the AFL is reaching out to culturally diverse and Indigenous communities because they realise it was an opportunity to expand their market. Not because they want to create harmonious communities. Not because they want to deconstruct racism."

Lumumba said when the AFL told former Gold Coast Sun Joel Wilkinson not to speak publicly about being racially vilified he became disillusioned with the multicultural program and – in 2013 – quit being an ambassador. "They [the AFL] completely silenced him from speaking about his case. That was a big opportunity lost for the league.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:00 am

Like it or not he was at football clubs. You can't expect 18 year old kids to be the leaders in social change. Even Fuzzy got sick of his bullshit.
Heritier or whatever he wants to call himself needs to realise he is not the centre of attention.
Working class people who struggle to pay the membership and then expect them to care a rats clacker about issues that don't immediately effect them.

If he wants to go into politics he should check section 44 of the constitution and go for it.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:08 am
Post subject: Re: Heratier Lumumba about to launch a broadside at the clubReply with quote

Quote:
Having put up with the nickname "Chimp" because he wanted to fit in at Collingwood, Lumumba felt he had opened himself to his teammates and coaches about his lifelong insecurities about the colour of his skin. He had called a team meeting in which he also compared racism with homophobia. And his coach Buckley, he felt, had mocked him.

Quote:
"Lumumba identified his decision to take on president McGuire the previous year over the King Kong jibe as the beginning of the end. And it came, he believes, when he was enjoying the best form of his playing career."

He had and presumably still has some personal and psychological problems. Is that really deserving of our anger?

The article doesn't say exactly how the " <snip> " nickname came about at the party, but I find it somewhat disturbing that no one realized it distressed him.

I also note that rumours at the time seem to have been pretty accurate, which I also find disturbing. Surely, what goes on inside the walls of the club should stay in the club, not be leaked to outsiders?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:57 am

If he really had the nickname <snip> , that's really disgusting. Not one other player, a more senior player , they are not all 18, said "hey, that's not on"?

As for the AFL policy, it's a sporting club business manager, they have the multicultural round, the indeginous round, they have really put the foot down over any sledging from either side of the fence. As an employer, a business, how much responsibility do they have with this whole education thing? Are other businesses expected to educate all their staff? I'm sure I'm not the only one over this whole every round must have a social meaning stuff. Just give me football. Yes, stamp out the nasty stuff, but you don't have to be a platform for every cause.

As for what goes on inside the club stays there, nope, not always, that's how the Catholic Church has ended in such a mess. I can just see that meeting in my mind. It would have taken a lot of courage for Harry to stand up like that. And knowing enough bogan Aussie males I can just see the reaction. Point is, the first time someone called him <snip> , even if in a drunken haze, it should have been pulled up as unacceptable. It should have gone no further. That goes for any other derogatory nickname. Hurting inside is not just a racial thing. Imagine if everyone called Cloke clunker or out on the full? It's a workplace there should be the same rules as every other workplace, antibullying rules. And in my mind antibullying rules should apply equally to everyone. How can we see each other as the same when we continually point out our diffferences?

Everytime there is a big blow up on this site it starts when someone gets personal. Just leave that shit in your mind. Keep the name calling to yourself. It's a rule my kids have grown up with, you can say someone did something stupid, but you don't call them stupid, verb and noun, different meaning.

Ronrat I agree, you can't expect a footy club to be full of intellectual giants, but you can expect a level of civility. I have always thought Harry would make a great politician, he speaks well, he's passionate. And the first thing he should do is publicly apologise for the meat comment. Lead by example.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:19 am

"White fragility", "privilege" - someone's been on a social justice training course.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:33 am

Wow, I can't believe they actually called him Chimp, I'm just speechless

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:53 am

I don't have a problem with the issues that Lumumba raises, but I think Lumumba needs to recognise that we don't live in an ideal world. There's much less racism around today than there used to be, but people like to tell jokes and have friendly jibes at each other. Most people are well meaning, so when something slips out, it doesn't mean someone is racist or homophobic. Lumumba happens to be very lucky that he had a fantastic captain who was great at human relations. He also had a wonderful coach who was best at communication and in drawing out the best from his players. When those two left the club I think he lost that relief valve that he could draw from and the Collingwood FC under Buckley and the Melbourne FC under Roos didn't provide him with the resources where he could produce his best football. You can say the same thing about Dawes, who's a different character to Lumumba. Lumumba was still a great player for Collingwood who under different circumstances may have had a longer career and been a one club player.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:36 am
Post subject: Re: Heratier Lumumba about to launch a broadside at the clubReply with quote

K wrote:
Quote:
Having put up with the nickname "Chimp" because he wanted to fit in at Collingwood, Lumumba felt he had opened himself to his teammates and coaches about his lifelong insecurities about the colour of his skin. He had called a team meeting in which he also compared racism with homophobia. And his coach Buckley, he felt, had mocked him.

Quote:

He had and presumably still has some personal and psychological problems. Is that really deserving of our anger?

The article doesn't say exactly how the "Chimp" nickname came about at the party, but I find it somewhat disturbing that no one realized it distressed him.

I also note that rumours at the time seem to have been pretty accurate, which I also find disturbing. Surely, what goes on inside the walls of the club should stay in the club, not be leaked to outsiders?

You are disturbed that what occurred was leaked to the public but not concerned that one person in the room has decided to use the events to gain publicity for himself ? Why are you concerned ? Are you the promoter of this venture & are worried about exclusivity?
slangman 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:34 am

I'm sick of hearing about him.
He comes across as a person who loves to tell others about their faults, but he definitely hasn't been squeaky clean either.

I'm glad he left our club.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:09 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
"White fragility", "privilege" - someone's been on a social justice training course.

Very very true. Just ask Harry about what he said about women. Would make interesting quotes.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:20 pm

masoncox wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:

Very very true. Just ask Harry about what he said about women. Would make interesting quotes.

I should add that "if" what he says is correct then, yes, it is disgusting and reprehensible and people should be called out. However, I'd first like to hear what the other 40-odd men in the squad have to say about his claims.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:38 pm

It bothers me that H has made a documentary that paints Collingwood in a negative light, but does not cover his time at Melbourne, although things there also 'rankled' him.

If the intent is genuine, rather than opportunistic, then why the exclusion?
slangman 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:50 pm

H is an attention seeker.
He tries to portray himself as this worldly and intelligent person, but his rantings prove that he is just full of himself.

Heritier thinks that he is more right than anyone else.

….well i have news for him!!!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 1 of 36   

Jump to: