Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Scott Burns - why did he move on?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sem Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:40 pm
Post subject: Scott Burns - why did he move on?Reply with quote

With SCOTT'S record

as an outstanding player for CFC

and an outstanding person

and an outstanding assistant coach at CFC and previous clubs [ came to CFC highly recommended ]

now employed as an assistant coach at HAWTHORN in their upcoming rebuild . So why would they appoint him . they are not known for making mistakes / they have been very successful

PLEASE SOMEONE tell me the reason he left CFC .

PLEASE NOT RUMOURS BUT FACTS

i really do not understand what is happening to the CFC .

As some of you may know i have supported CFC since 1953 and seem more a lot more games than most on here

sem Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

And they appoint BOYD

good footballer so what experience has he had as a coach .

and CFC let BURNS GO

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:49 pm

Collingwood moves in mysterious ways.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:59 pm

Simple: Burns is the coach in waiting. Yes, we all reckon Buckley is da man and will succeed (all of us with a brain, anyway) but you never know, we could be wrong, so we need a plan B.

One of the criticisms - and a fair one I think - leveled against the choice of Buckley in the first place is that he lacked experience at other clubs - something that is usually considered an important part of a young coach's learning curve. If by some chance we elect to let Bucks go at the end of his current two year contract, Burns will have two years experience under Clarko at a very successful club behind him and be well placed to step into the senior coaching role at Collingwood.

Alternatively, Clarko will give the game away sooner or later, so there is another opportunity for Burnsie coming up.

The Average Tourist 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:26 pm

Tannin wrote:
Simple: Burns is the coach in waiting. Yes, we all reckon Buckley is da man and will succeed (all of us with a brain, anyway) but you never know, we could be wrong, so we need a plan B.

One of the criticisms - and a fair one I think - leveled against the choice of Buckley in the first place is that he lacked experience at other clubs - something that is usually considered an important part of a young coach's learning curve. If by some chance we elect to let Bucks go at the end of his current two year contract, Burns will have two years experience under Clarko at a very successful club behind him and be well placed to step into the senior coaching role at Collingwood.

Alternatively, Clarko will give the game away sooner or later, so there is another opportunity for Burnsie coming up.

It could even be called a succession plan!

sem Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:28 pm

TANIN
BURNS has had plenty of experience // so did he leave as he expected to get the coaching gig for next 2 years // we may never know

In a previous topic that has moved down i mentioned that in my "hope " it would be coach BURNS mentored by CLARKSON .

So that has happened in reverse unfortunately at HAWTHORN .

If i was BURNS i would accept a coaching position at another club other than CFC as i think ? he has been treated shabbily

burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Pretty sure I read somewhere that it was because of the salary cap placed on admin roles.

I think the comment was with his salary being so high due to experience etc we can employ 3 other coaches.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:43 pm

Boyd is a development coach, will he be involved in tactics on match day in the box?

I think it's laughable that the only assistant so far to go is Burns, he will end up being a senior coach one day.

How do you expect change unless you make real change. Geez I hope we tinker with our game style at least.

Redlight 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:44 pm

The AFL has mandated that clubs have to let assistants know of their status for the following year by a certain date, so that they can have enough time to find employment elsewhere if necessary.

Given the review, we weren't in a position to guarantee anything to anyone who didn't already have a contract. That lead to Burns considering his options and taking the Hawthorn job before the Collingwood review was complete.

It's a shame, but who can blame him? It may work out for the best in the long run if he comes back to the club in the senior role.
ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:21 pm

Burns elected to not seek another contract at Collingwood.

Collingwood did not ask him to leave.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:31 pm

ad4eva wrote:
Burns elected to not seek another contract at Collingwood.

Collingwood did not ask him to leave.

They didn't ask him to leave, but they didn't offer him a contract either.

It would have been career suicide for him to stay. Assistant coaches from clubs that are not successful are rarely appointed as senior coaches.

His reputation has already been diminished by what has occurred at the club. Another two years of the same and his card would have been marked as never to be a senior coach.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:37 pm
Post subject: Re: SCOTT BURNSReply with quote

sem wrote:
With SCOTT'S record

as an outstanding player for CFC

and an outstanding person

and an outstanding assistant coach at CFC and previous clubs [ came to CFC highly recommended ]

now employed as an assistant coach at HAWTHORN in their upcoming rebuild . So why would they appoint him . they are not known for making mistakes / they have been very successful

PLEASE SOMEONE tell me the reason he left CFC .

PLEASE NOT RUMOURS BUT FACTS

i really do not understand what is happening to the CFC .

As some of you may know i have supported CFC since 1953 and seem more a lot more games than most on here

It's simple sem.

Burns wants a senior coaching job and to get that he has to have experience working alongside a Premiership winning coach. That's why he's gone to work with Clarkson. It's his ticket to a senior job.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:00 pm

This is a good thing.

Burns will learn a great deal at Hawthorn. Its great for him to learn as much as he can before stepping into a senior role some day.

He may yet coach the Pies in the future. It's best that he leaves now, as Bucks should probably have done.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:18 pm

His salary was said to be worth that of two Assistants plus for his own "Brand" (yes I hate that word) a move to Hawthorn would accelerate Senior coaching opportunities for him.
duke750 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:29 pm

Burns was a great servant as a player at the Club. However we don't need another ex player coach in waiting. If he ever becomes a candidate to coach us I would prefer he had experience at another club first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: