Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Air BnB - have you used it?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:29 pm
Post subject: Air BnB - have you used it?Reply with quote

I'm curious. I'm aware of Air BnB but like Uber I've never used it. When I go on holidays, I stay at a hotel. I pick one that's in the area I want to go to and rely on getting round by foot.

Yeah it can be cheaper, which is important, particularly if you have a group going together.

An ex-nickster (madness) is currently in the US, just left New Orleans heading to Texas with a group of friends. While she seems to be having a blinder, the house they're staying in is a neighbourhood where you go out in the morning to find bullet holes in cars.

For those who've used it, what's the attraction apart from cost?

What kind of experience did you have, where did you stay?

Would you do it again?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

My experiences of it have mostly been positive. Hosts generally put a fair bit of effort into making their rooms hotel-like, and prices can be cheaper than hotels or motels (but not always).

To me it seems like a commodification of the 'couch-surfing' model, where travellers stay in strangers' homes for free. On one level, I don't have a problem with that – if people want to turn their spare room into a kind of Bed and Breakfast, why not? – but on another it has been shown to have an upward effect on house prices as developers purchase properties solely for the purpose of converting them into Air B&B rentals. And it also places a dollar value on something that couchsurfing hosts were happy to provide for free.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:14 pm

I spent the first six months this year travelling throughout Central & South America. I varied my accommodation between Air BnB, hotels & hostels. You naturally get very different experiences wherever you go.
In Cuba, hotels are rare & staying in homes (AirBnB etc) is far more the norm. Had no dramas, although all we had were rooms in homes so the owners stayed with you. Sure it was fun to meet them, but virtually no privacy.
Stayed AirBnB in Brazil and it was like staying in a cheap apartment with a very nosy, rude and intrusive owner who persisted in turning up whenever he liked. On our last morning before we even left, he sent in the cleaners. Overall it was a disappointing experience.
In Santiago, no particular AirBnB hassle, except the place was in a tad inconvenient part of the city. It was cheap, but fine, but away from any attractions, so you get what you pay for.
Definitely loved the change up of going AirBnB as having a fully furnished apartment at times brings bonuses. Cooking for yourself and having your own washing machine are gratefully received after weeks of hostels/hotels. But be warned, so many places are now run as fully fledged commercial entities, so the homely feel & the chance to meet locals is often lacking.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Cheers 6points.

David, I'm not criticising the concept, I see it as offering a choice. I'm just curious on how people who have used it, found it.

I personally couldn't deal with the no privacy thing, when I go away i want to pick and chose when and if I actually engage with people.

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:27 pm

I have used it a few times Stui, I have stayed in some great places and on the privacy thing just stay at places that have no-one living there that is what I do!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Cheers Ken, I'm getting that picture.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:38 pm

Never used it

Last edited by Morrigu on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:41 pm

Ok I'll try not to do used it but last Europe trip pre Air BB we booked and stayed in apartments in a few places which were fantastic - we had 5 days or in each destination and it was wonderful to be able to go to the local supermarket and buy fresh food and cook for yourself and sample the local wines - let having a washing machine too much.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:09 pm

Had a three bedroom apartment 2 blocks from the beach in Hawaii, there was six of us and we shouted he whole trip so separate hotel rooms and eating out would have cost a bomb! Picked up the key at the front desk and left it on the table when we left. Had a car spot 2 bathrooms kitchen and only 5 min walk to Waikiki beach. 3 years ago we had a waterfront apartment in Maui and it was fabulous. They also supply beach towels surfboards etc. it's good to be able to at least make breakfast. Another similar option is convention centers. The one in Indianapolis was a two bedroom apartment with full kitchen. Being able to cook is nice and saves money too. Check the review as you would a hotel
partypie 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:20 am

A friend of mine lets his unit on air BnB when he's struggling to pay the rent. He moves out and stays with his girlfriend or goes on a long drive somewhere ... the clients rate the accommodation providers and vice versa. Wanting a good rating, both sides try hard to keep their part of the bargain, which generally includes the customer leaving the place tidy. Another friend who often travels solo, reckons it's great for single travelers as well as groups.
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:52 am

I never have but have only heard good things from friends who have.

I like resorts with room service and pools and my bed made when I'm on holidays. My thinking is, if I'm on holiday, I want to live better than I do at home. And that's not just living in someone else's home.

#SIDEBYSIDE
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:24 pm

I haven't but a friend of mine just spent 10 months travelling through Sth America & pretty much AirBnB the whole way.

Well, from what he said, it'd be right up your alley!! Most of the places with a female host he ended up... well... you know Embarassed
Other places the hosts gave great information about things to do & see that aren't the usual tourist things to do, a local feel for the place. Some were renting out their own bedroom so they'd sleep on the couch & he'd be in their room (or in the bedroom together it seems!).

Did sound like a great way to do it, and budget friendly.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:09 pm

^

You provide some excellent points to the positive. Shocked

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:23 pm

There are some negative reports on it in Thailand due to Hotels and Guesthouses using it to sell empty rooms. Except you don't get the normal services. Hard to tell who is telling the truth.It was on that bastion of bozos Lonely Planet website. I would rather stay where they look after me. And I like having breakfast with strangers. Amazing what you find out about restaurants, bars, prices, attractions etc.

My parents use house sitters when they are away. Ok you make no money but you can leave your critters at home and the garden is looked after and the house is looked after. They use some online service where the sitters are vetted . Mostly retired folk with no kids.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:25 pm

Such an original name!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: