Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Fasolo staying at Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:45 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

ad4eva wrote:
Culprit wrote:
Faz for WC Pick 30. Done. Next.

I may be overrating him a bit here but I think we can do better.

If James Aish cost us 2 2nd round selections, I think we can do better than pick 30.

I think there will be steak knives involved one way or another.

apparently we will receive Licehart!

www.facebook/the hybernators
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:48 am

Do you mean you are finished talking?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:26 am

If we get better than Pick 30 for Faz I would be stoked. Mind you this is all just a rumor, he could get a contract extension. Shocked
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
My concern is that we have a track record in recent years of letting guys that we know are "good enough" to play in the seniors go for guys we merely hope will be.

I am happy for Fasolo to go if we get a similar-standard player in return but I don't want him to go for a late first-round or second-round draft pick. We've put 7 seasons of development into Fasolo and he should be about to reach his peak. That is most definitely the wrong time to lose him. If he's part of a good deal, that's fine but if he's part of a "cut our losses and get what we can - better a draft pick than nothing" deal, it will just set us back (only a little, of course - because we are already coming from quite a way back).

This is what good teams do: they trade fringe players and half-decent ordinary players, and talented but flawed players (e.g. Fasolo) - in short, any player who has some value in a mediocre side but isn't going to substantially contribute to a premiership campaign because he isn't good enough (e.g. Seedsman, Blair) or isn't reliable enough (e.g., White, Fasolo) for a player who might be a genuine contributor.

Notice the key distinction here. There are two sorts of player in a premiership team:

(a) The ones who are vitally important to the side, not just big stars but also the quality role-players players. A good tagger will never be a star, for example. Ditto a gutsy, versatile utility like Goldsack. Ditto reliable lock-down defenders - take a Dunn or a Langdon out of a side and you are missing something. Unless you replace them with a genuine star, the side is poorer without them.

(b) The rest. It is not fair to call these guys "passengers", in the main they try hard and they are good enough to fill up the last few spots in your 22, which is better than 99% of footballers. But they are not going to win you a premiership. They are there to make up the numbers and not be completely useless. If you had (for example) an Elliott or a Betts in the squad, you'd drop a Blair or a Fasolo in a heartbeat to make room. In the midfield, you'd drop a Broomhead if you had a Wells, drop a Thomas or an Aish if you had a Sidebottom or a Greenwood or an Adams.

In an ideal world, you'd have 22 players from group (a) run out. In reality, no side does. There is always going to be a few from group (b). But you do your best to get as many group (a) players as you can - 'coz these are the ones who really count, the ones who might actually win you a flag. The remainder might just be there and not screw up too badly while the other 17 or 19 do the hard yards.

The reality is that any club has about a dozen group (b) players on the list. If you trade one, so what? One of the others can take his place. You have lost nothing.

The player or the pick you get in return can be one of three things:

(i) A dud. Your loss? Nothing that matters. You have plenty of other fringe players you can use instead. So who cares?
(b) A group (b) player. Nothing lost, nothing gained.
(c) A player who really does help you win a premiership. You are a mile in front.

Summary: with players like Fasolo, who can and does win a quarter off his own boot but seldom or never pulls his weight for an entire game, and who has been like this for his entire career with no sign of genuine reform, you might as well roll the dice. Some chance of a reliable quality player is better than no chance.

And for (eg) West Coast, why not take the punt that he will come good at a new club? He probably won't, but if he did he wouldn't be the first on-again, off-again player who never hit his straps until he went to a different club.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:10 pm

Fas to the Eagles for pick 30.

Pick 6 and 30 to the Crows for Lever. Cool
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:37 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
It will be a great disappointment - and compound our difficulties - if Fasolo heads home. We ended the season as we started it: well short of being able to field a team comprised entirely of genuinely AFL-standard players. Most weeks we fielded about 14 or so. Fasolo is a high-class player. He has physical shortcomings, as you expect with a pick 45, but he can play good football against any opposition. Most of our present list can't.

Yep certainly worth more than pick 30

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:17 pm

We can get a 2nd rounder for him and I have always thought Faz would be the one that we can pawn to get into the 2nd round of the draft this year. I think with the development of Daicos he is surplus to our needs and has had a pretty good year so will have some currency.

WCE are prime targets for someone like Faz.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:56 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
It will be a great disappointment - and compound our difficulties - if Fasolo heads home. We ended the season as we started it: well short of being able to field a team comprised entirely of genuinely AFL-standard players. Most weeks we fielded about 14 or so. Fasolo is a high-class player. He has physical shortcomings, as you expect with a pick 45, but he can play good football against any opposition. Most of our present list can't.

Agree, I don't see how a small permanent forward who has over 60 shots on goal in a season ( less a couple games ) can be considered superfluous to our needs. His marking was better than ever, he played under difficulty and then improved again in the second half of the season.
And a lot of posters talk like Kirby is already better than him. At his best, he may well be but he has a long way to go before I would put the farm on it.
Kirby won't be better than him without continued hard work and an insatiable desire to succeed. Time will tell.
As for Fasolo, if it's true, I would think both WA clubs would be interested in him.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:57 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Fas to the Eagles for pick 30.

Pick 6 and 30 to the Crows for Lever. Cool

Fas, Ramsay & Mayne to WCE for pick 13 and 67. Laughing Laughing Laughing

blakis 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Obviously a lot of people on here really underrate Faz, I for one would be really upset if we lost him. He's just about to hit his best years too, so wouldn't be the best time for him to move on.

I've also been thinking for the last couple of years that he should be rotated through the midfield, as he's one of the best players in the team at getting his own ball.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:29 pm

I don't under rate him, but in all honesty.. its not that bad a scenario for us as he is worth a reasonable something, but imo his worth as a trade is more than as a sum of parts in our team combined with what he's actually given us in games over the years.

Be it for a direct player that more suit our needs or a pick that helps promote getting us a better player - I think its well worth the punt.

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:32 pm

I'll miss him if he goes but I understand if it's because of his mental health issues and wanting to be closer to family in order to deal with them. We can't begrudge him that. His best years are ahead of him.
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:26 pm

WarrenerraW wrote:
I'll miss him if he goes but I understand if it's because of his mental health issues and wanting to be closer to family in order to deal with them. We can't begrudge him that. His best years are ahead of him.

Have to agree would love him to stay but if he feels health-wise he needs to go home we should do all we can for him!

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
My concern is that we have a track record in recent years of letting guys that we know are "good enough" to play in the seniors go for guys we merely hope will be.

I am happy for Fasolo to go if we get a similar-standard player in return but I We've put 7 seasons of development into Fasolo and he should be about to reach his peak. That is most definitely the wrong time to lose him. If he's part of a good deal, that's fine but if he's part of a "cut our losses and get what we can - better a draft pick than nothing" deal, it will just set us back (only a little, of course - because we are already coming from quite a way back).

don't want him to go for a late first-round or second-round draft pick.

Really??? What pick 5 is your sense of equity??

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:15 pm

Can see the following scenarios happening:

If he goes to the Eagles:

In:

Tom Lamb (Eagles) & pick 48 http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/player-profile/tom-lamb

Out:

Fasolo & pick 54

If he goes to Fremantle:

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/player-profile/tom-sheridan

Straight swap for Tom Sheridan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9   

Jump to: