Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFL Members selling their GF seats

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:35 am
Post subject: AFL Members selling their GF seatsReply with quote

As an AFL member with a Collingwood club support package, I attended the GF yesterday.

What was staggering was the amount of Richmond and to a lesser extent Adelaide AFL club support members.

As we AFL members know, our membership is not transferable.

It seems to me that the AFL is turning a blind eye to members selling their tickets. There is no way that there is that many AFL members who support Richmond.

I suspect that the AFL is happy to turn a blind eye to the sale by AFL members of their GF tickets as it enables more supporters of the competing club to attend and hence takes pressure of the AFL to limit their lucrative corporate sponsorships.

Did any AFL members see any signature checks etc?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been happening for years if not decades. The last crackdown was in 2010 for the GF replay.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:52 am

Culprit wrote:
It's been happening for years if not decades. The last crackdown was in 2010 for the GF replay.

I do remember a number of years ago, I was pulled up. Pretty sure it was post 2010.

Can't remember if it was a signature check or to show my AFL card as well.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:29 am

My cousin became an AFL Member when the Southern Stand first opened, so back in 1992?
He also has COLL support package (like you) & he sells his membership every year (he goes to all the COLL finals if we're in) but if we're not featured he sells it & basically makes his money back as it pays for the following years package.

Personally, couldn't think of anything worse than attending a GF where my team is not in it but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:00 pm

My Dad got into the 1990 Grand Final after buying an AFL members card outside the ground Smile. Cost him $100
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:05 pm

I sold mine at cost price to a Richmond mate, im sure many others do the same. Its not right that we should be there if we are not in it. however i do have issue if the ticket is sold at inflated price to a stranger
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:12 pm

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
I sold mine at cost price to a Richmond mate, im sure many others do the same. Its not right that we should be there if we are not in it. however i do have issue if the ticket is sold at inflated price to a stranger

Understand what you say. But our tickets are supposed to be non transferable.
If you as a full member do not use it, then you cannot give it to your mate, at face value or at a premium.

If not enough full AFL members then theoretically the tickets are offered to Silver members.

I suspect that the AFL is happy to turn a blind eye as more competing club supporters get in, and the AFL doesn't have to cut back on lucrative corporates.

Did not see anyone checking yesterday, other than your bags and scanning you. Guess they are directing resources that way.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:34 pm

ANNODAM wrote:
My cousin became an AFL Member when the Southern Stand first opened, so back in 1992?
He also has COLL support package (like you) & he sells his membership every year (he goes to all the COLL finals if we're in) but if we're not featured he sells it & basically makes his money back as it pays for the following years package.

That's actually good business strategy, if you can get away with it scott-free year after year.

Woods Of Ypres wrote:

I admire your sense of ethics in this scenario.
That Richmond mate might never be able to repay your generosity.
I suggest you should never have to wash your car again though... Laughing

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:50 pm

There is an AFL member on this board who is quite open about selling their GF ticket to cover the cost of their membership for the following year.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:46 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
There is an AFL member on this board who is quite open about selling their GF ticket to cover the cost of their membership for the following year.

And if we aren't playing off in the decider, does it matter?

The AFL is only going to give away this ticket to another one of their corporate mates, instead of a member/supporter of one of the two competing teams.

When the systems f&cks you, f&ck it back?

Or did I miss your point? Laughing

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:13 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
Woods Of Ypres wrote:

Understand what you say. But our tickets are supposed to be non transferable.
If you as a full member do not use it, then you cannot give it to your mate, at face value or at a premium.

If not enough full AFL members then theoretically the tickets are offered to Silver members.

I suspect that the AFL is happy to turn a blind eye as more competing club supporters get in, and the AFL doesn't have to cut back on lucrative corporates.

Did not see anyone checking yesterday, other than your bags and scanning you. Guess they are directing resources that way.

I think it was a mistake to entitle full AFL members with a guaranteed ticket. Priority should go to club support (full then silver). I feel sorry for the poor buggers who have silver club support for years and miss out (I was one of them too).
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:44 pm
Post subject: Re: AFL Members selling their GF seatsReply with quote

thebaldfacts wrote:
As an AFL member with a Collingwood club support package, I attended the GF yesterday.

What was staggering was the amount of Richmond and to a lesser extent Adelaide AFL club support members.

As we AFL members know, our membership is not transferable.

It seems to me that the AFL is turning a blind eye to members selling their tickets. There is no way that there is that many AFL members who support Richmond.

I suspect that the AFL is happy to turn a blind eye to the sale by AFL members of their GF tickets as it enables more supporters of the competing club to attend and hence takes pressure of the AFL to limit their lucrative corporate sponsorships.

Did any AFL members see any signature checks etc?

I tossed my AFL membership in years ago but in the 15 years that I had it I was only signature checked once. I was on crutches at the time, having had a knee reco. 14 days before. There was almost an urgent request for medical assistance to remove a crutch from an orifice.
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:06 pm

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
I think it was a mistake to entitle full AFL members with a guaranteed ticket. Priority should go to club support (full then silver). I feel sorry for the poor buggers who have silver club support for years and miss out (I was one of them too).

Bullshit. The whole privilege of being a full AFL member is that it gets you a GF ticket. That's actually all it gets you now. Used to get us a lot more benefits including Premlim (that Silvers can now buy).

I've been an AFL member for 25 years, why should someone who only has for a few years get it too? What should my entitlement be for the 10's of thousand of dollars I've invested?

I sold 4 GF tickets this year (hi Bucks5) and don't feel bad about it at all. I absolutely don't think the system is right as far as competing supporters go and they just don't get enough. I always sell to them. Always. And not for the ridiculous price I probably could, but just to cover the ticket and the cost of my membership that year. I don't think that's unreasonable.

OP - I'm struggling to understand why a non competing supporter cares if more genuine fans got in to see their team play? Isn't that good for the day?

#SIDEBYSIDE
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:50 pm

mandy wrote:
Woods Of Ypres wrote:

Bullshit. The whole privilege of being a full AFL member is that it gets you a GF ticket. That's actually all it gets you now. Used to get us a lot more benefits including Premlim (that Silvers can now buy).

I've been an AFL member for 25 years, why should someone who only has for a few years get it too? What should my entitlement be for the 10's of thousand of dollars I've invested?

I sold 4 GF tickets this year (hi Bucks5) and don't feel bad about it at all. I absolutely don't think the system is right as far as competing supporters go and they just don't get enough. I always sell to them. Always. And not for the ridiculous price I probably could, but just to cover the ticket and the cost of my membership that year. I don't think that's unreasonable.

OP - I'm struggling to understand why a non competing supporter cares if more genuine fans got in to see their team play? Isn't that good for the day?

My point was the tickets are not transferable, but it seems that the AFL turns a blind eye to this.
What I would prefer is they change the rules and allow them to be transferable.
Medallion club members also get tickets in the AFL reserve, so it is probably impractical to police.
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:27 am

Ah, ok. Apologies. I completely agree.
#SIDEBYSIDE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: