Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Tassie Tiger

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:40 pm
Post subject: The Tassie TigerReply with quote

Sightings of the Tassie Tiger just continue.

The Dingo did a number on them on the mainland, although there's still sightings up in FNQ, but the latest one is in Tassie.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/new-footage-fuels-long-futile-hunt-for-tasmanian-tiger/news-story/f20bbe3080a8426cf39bbe44d65acec2

Given there's a fair bit of wilderness still in tassie and the fact that supposedly extinct species have been found alive and well in pockets from time to time, it's not beyond the realms of probability that there are still colonies of Tigers still roaming the apple isle.

So the questions are, what do we do?

Should a lot of effort be put into trying to establish if there are still Thylacines alive in the wild?

If there are, what do we do then?

Should we try to catch some and set up a breeding program, or seal off a few hundred hectares where they're found and leave them to it? If the latter, how do you police that?

If they are still around, the curiosity factor would be huge, people wanting to see them and get a selfie, all things which would mess with their environment and endanger them again.

Where's the balance between leveraging the curiosity to make some coin to help further protect them against making it a side show and finally wiping them out?

It's all well and good to go looking.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Do and spend what ever it takes to save them. I prefer the wild sanctuary solution. How do you police it? Shoot the £$%$ers trying to do the wrong thing. Ok David, ok. Massive fines. I'm talking at least $100,000 for deliberately harming or trying to capture one, and $50,000 for a selfie!
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:56 pm

I would be amazing if they are still out there, I hope they are. I would love to see some video but also see them left alone.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:06 pm

The first thing to do is to learn how to ignore complete moonshine nonsense.

The second thing to do is act on the many species which are in danger of becoming extinct.

(And since when did any Murdoch rag give a flying flick about conservation or nature? If there was the faintest chance that this ridiculous story was true (there isn't), the Murdoch rags would be first in line to should "jobs", "development", "investment", "exports" "build a road", and "dirty green extremists from the hippy suburbs".)

partypie 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:09 pm

Believe it or not I've seen one in daylight in south Western Australia about 7 years ago. I had a clear view of it. There are a few stories about them in the area and a fossil exists in Jewel Cave near Augusta. Nannup has a footy team called the Nannup Tigers and it's the town's emblem. Recently I ran into a guy who owned a farm near where I saw it, who had sheep mauled, and I asked him about it. He said he'd seen one twice.
At the time I told someone about it who immediately jumped up and down and yelled at me that I was insane (So?)
partypie 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:12 pm

PS there are quite a few groups devoted researching sightings and capturing one on film. I doubt theyd be trying to catch one as they are dangerous predators
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:20 pm

There has been more effort, more money, more boots on the ground, and more passion dedicated to finding Thylacines than every other extinct or endangered Australian species put together.

Sum total of hard evidence in getting on towards a century? None. Nothing. Nil. Zero. Zilch. Not a bit. Nada. Not anything. Naught. Nix. Not a cracker. Blank. Void.

It would only take one scat (polite word for a turd), one bone, one tooth, one hair ....

.... crickets.

It is extinct. Dead. Gawn. Stop pretending and start work to prevent the next one.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:23 pm

I've seen the movie. It looked alive (in 1938 or so).
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:31 pm

Tannin wrote:
The second thing to do is act on the many species which are in danger of becoming extinct

YEP!!!

AND Zoos are not the answer - they are not contributing a brass razoo to conservation - just the breeding and thus preservation of the species that humans will pay to see and so keep them in business. Bred and live their entire lives in captivity for the sole purpose of " entertaining" humans! And when they get a bit old and ratty looking they kill them and get a new one!! 😡😡😡😡

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:47 pm

^ That's a slander on the many excellent institutions which go to enormous lengths to preserve endangered species. Old-fashioned 1940s-style zoos behave as you say. Thankfully, there are few of them left. Modern zoos primarily exist to preserve endangered species and regard paying visitors as a way to (a) generate income to pay for their real work, and (b) a way to spread the good word.

Example: the several Australian institutions which have spent years of effort on breeding the critically endangered Helmeted and Regent Honeyeaters. Thanks to their efforts, and to the efforts of thousands of volunteer habitat restorers (including me) we have been able to start releasing Regent Honeyeaters - once one of the most common birds in southern Australia, and always amongst the most spectacularly beautiful - back into the wild. Slowly, slowly, we are winning this one. But it's a hell of a job and there is a long way to go yet. Without wonderful organisations like Healsville, it would be impossible.

Another example: hopes for the endangered Southern Hairy-nose Wombat and the critically endangered Northern Hairy-nose Wombat - not so long ago THE most endangered large mammal on Earth - depend on (a) habitat restoration (as always) and (b) the development of the extremely difficult captive breeding techniques being pioneered by Healsville.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Tannin wrote:
The first thing to do is to learn how to ignore complete moonshine nonsense.

The second thing to do is act on the many species which are in danger of becoming extinct.

(And since when did any Murdoch rag give a flying flick about conservation or nature? If there was the faintest chance that this ridiculous story was true (there isn't), the Murdoch rags would be first in line to should "jobs", "development", "investment", "exports" "build a road", and "dirty green extremists from the hippy suburbs".)

God you can sook. 1 blowjob you get right and I go off early and you sulk for ages. Razz

speaking of ages, if you're allergic to Murdoch, try this. http://www.theage.com.au/national/did-they-see-a-thylacine-footage-released-after-encounter-with-tassie-tiger-20170906-gyc23f.html

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:06 pm

^ Exactly what I said. Sum total of hard evidence: none. Nothing. Nil. Zero. Zilch. Not a bit. Nada. Not anything. Naught. Nix. Not a cracker. Blank. Void.

No scat, no bone, no tooth, no hair. Not even an (easily faked) footprint in the mud. One hair brushed off against a tree would provide 100% proof. But no, that would spoil all the fun. Instead we get blurry low-res photograph number 17.309 and more crayons on the wall.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:33 pm

Last edited by Morrigu on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:35 pm

Tannin wrote:
There has been more effort, more money, more boots on the ground, and more passion dedicated to finding Thylacines than every other extinct or endangered Australian species put together.

Sum total of hard evidence in getting on towards a century? None. Nothing. Nil. Zero. Zilch. Not a bit. Nada. Not anything. Naught. Nix. Not a cracker. Blank. Void.

It would only take one scat (polite word for a turd), one bone, one tooth, one hair ....

.... crickets.

It is extinct. Dead. Gawn. Stop pretending and start work to prevent the next one.

I don't know Tannin, nature is very powerful..... this is amazing!

How reintroducing wolves helped save a famous park

Wolves had been absent from Yellowstone National Park for more than 70 years when they were reintroduced in the 1990s – and their return had some surprising benefits.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140128-how-wolves-saved-a-famous-park

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:38 pm

Morrigu wrote:
[quote="Tannin"]^ That's a slander on the many excellent institutions which go to enormous lengths to preserve endangered species. Old-fashioned 1940s-style zoos behave as you say. Thankfully, there are few of them left. Modern zoos primarily exist to preserve endangered species and regard paying visitors as a way to (a) generate income to pay for their real work, and (b) a way to spread the good word.[/quote]

No it is not and no they do not - you should travel more especially outside of Australia if you think there are only a few of the "old style" zoos left - that is just plain utter bullshite!

There are a few and a very few who work to reintroduce endangered species to their natural habitat - but if you compare the number of zoos around the world and the number that actually contribute to conservation the vast majority just breed and swap animals that are the " money makers" to sustain their business.
Who does - you should travel more of Australia if you think there a few of the old style zoos left - that is plain utter bullshite is not and no they do not - you should travel more are?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: