Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Options for Mayne

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
He's too slow and no amount of pre-season training is going to make him any faster. Sadly, for him, and for us, he's finished as an AFL player.

I'm with Damien on this one. I think Mayne can make a positive contribution to the side next year. Afterall, he's no slower than Blair so his pace shouldn't be a problem.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:00 pm

Don't kid yourself. He's slower than my old cat - and she's been taxidermed.
i hate carlton 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:01 pm

I went and watched some footage of him, and he is a solid gutsy player. We got three games and vfl out of him this year.

Is he better than a player who got named for a game? Thats the selection teams call.

Maybe trial him in different positions and find the right space for him. He could fill the role that Clements/Maxwell owned perhaps. Speed, strength and decision making skills are there.

He can certainly own the paddock in the right circumstances, how do we create those circumstances?

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=66021&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
i hate carlton 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:02 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Over distance yes, not in bursts.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=66021&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:14 pm

i hate carlton wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

So he needs to play deep forward. He's useless up field in the open space if he can be outrun and dragged down by a tortoise giving an ATM a piggy back.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:41 pm

stui magpie wrote:
i hate carlton wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

So he needs to play deep forward. He's useless up field in the open space if he can be outrun and dragged down by a tortoise giving an ATM a piggy back.

He's useless full stop. A player of his experience should have been dominating in the VFL, but he struggled to make an impact even there. He's finished fellas. Get used to it.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:12 am

If he is finished then I hope his contract is performance based so it can free up some salary.
stoid Virgo

stoid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:10 am

ROB wrote:
sem wrote:

WHERE has the recently moved on assistant coach gone named SCOTT BURNS / answer HAWTHORN / gees is that a backward move for SCOTT / so i do not think so
he is highly respected and he will be a senior coach /but not good enough for COLLINGWOOD or some must think that .

I think Burns to Hawthorn means a number of things - he will gain some valuable insight under a premiership coach; he may be considered part of a succession plan at Hawthorn; the CFC board may be thinking him a viable option at end of Buckleys 2 year tenure if things go to custard, particularly noting he would have 2 years under a premiership coach also; or Burns is just no good - if he was, wouldn't he have been snapped up by now for the senior positions he has applied.

Rob, just so you know, Scott Burns has already worked under a premiership coach, John Worsfold at West Coast. So this will be his second time working under one... can only be good for his professional development.

Also Sem, Burns chose to leave and wasn't actually shown the door. I was expecting more coaches leaving... the state of play was that (and this goes for all AFL assistant coaches), if you don't have a contract for the following season come August the 1st, start looking elsewhere. Burns did just that, and I'm sure others did as well, but he was obviously a really good candidate and got snapped up. Who knows what went on behind the scenes? Maybe they wanted to keep one of Burns and Harvey, but Burns left, so Harvey got a contract extension. Personally, I had hoped for a complete wipeout similar to what Richmond did with Hardwick... how's that working out? Wink
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:00 am

RudeBoy wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
i hate carlton wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

He's useless full stop. A player of his experience should have been dominating in the VFL, but he struggled to make an impact even there. He's finished fellas. Get used to it.
bit hard on a dead cat.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:23 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
i hate carlton wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

I don't see anything that supports this - ok apart from us only playing him for 3 games Very Happy

He still played every game for Freo in 2016 and was their number 1 forward for pressure acts (20th in the league; Blair was 24th). He was offered a 3 year deal by Freo and North, with Richmond also interested.

Why would he be expected to dominate in the VFL? He's always been a role player with more value at senior level than the seconds. The discussion around Mayne has become ridiculously hyperbolic.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:06 pm

^ Somewhere between dominating and not getting a touch most quarters would have been OK, too.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:21 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ Somewhere between dominating and not getting a touch most quarters would have been OK, too.

Precisely. Cool
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:31 pm

Seemed to get more than the odd touch most weeks. VFL form is not often a good indicator for AFL viability though, especially for role player types.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:55 pm

On the 3 games he played, he compares well against Blair's season.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=5&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&type=A&pid1=2340&pid2=3205&fid1=S&fid2=S

Is that a positive?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:58 pm

stui magpie wrote:
On the 3 games he played, he compares well against Blair's season.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=5&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&type=A&pid1=2340&pid2=3205&fid1=S&fid2=S

Is that a positive?
blair was a lot cheaper, so no!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12   

Jump to: