Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Options for Mayne

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What'sinaname wrote:
I'd speak to Mayne and renegotiate his contract. Rather than 3 years at $500,000, say to him we will pay him $100,000 over the next 20 years so he can retire from footy, give us a roster spot and only account for $100K per year (which is nothing given the current cap)

Read AFL Rule 29.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:24 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
I'd speak to Mayne and renegotiate his contract. Rather than 3 years at $500,000, say to him we will pay him $100,000 over the next 20 years so he can retire from footy, give us a roster spot and only account for $100K per year (which is nothing given the current cap)

Read AFL Rule 29.

yeah, which provision exactly?
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:31 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

Read AFL Rule 29.

All of rule 28 and 29, but focus on:

28.13(b)
29.1 defn of "conduct in breach of Total Player Payments provisions"

Your proposed 20 x $100K would be included as a $2m termination payment in the year of termination (when delisted) under 28.22.

Even if that weren't the case it would be open to prosecution by the AFL for circumventing the operation of the TPP provisions under 29.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:44 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

Read AFL Rule 29.

28.13(b)

Your proposed 20 x $100K would be included as a $2m termination payment in the year of termination (when delisted) under 28.22.

Even if that weren't the case it would be open to prosecution by the AFL for circumventing the operation of the TPP provisions under 29.

My scenarios isn't contravening the TPP. Mayne's salary of $100,000 per year counts against our TPP. The question is, can you have an amount in the TPP against a player no longer on the list?
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:51 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

Read AFL Rule 29.

28.13(b)

My scenarios isn't contravening the TPP. Mayne's salary of $100,000 per year counts against our TPP. The question is, can you have an amount in the TPP against a player no longer on the list?

If it isn't circumventing the operation of the TPP then why did you ARTIFICIALLY restructure it to 20 x $100K?

Artificial because it is an existing contract to work for 4 years for 4 years' pay (3/3 remaining) being converted to a contract to not work for 20 years' pay.

If he ain't on the list it becomes a termination payment and all future payments are aggregated in the year of termination and form part of TPP.

It's not directly on point, but you can see that the AFL is all over potential attempts to circumvent the TPP and Franklin was a new deal not an artificial restructure of an existing deal: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/afl-clears-buddys-10m-move/news-story/0c7a141bcd96ed14358b98de4f4168e7

Last edited by MightyMagpie on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
Invigoration 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:54 pm

Give him the pre-season and another year to make a mark, we aren't that tight up for spots on the list that we need to cut him. Hopefully a fire spurs in his belly over the off season, surely he is embarrassed by the current state of affairs as from all reports he is a pretty honest and genuine sort of guy.

Re-assess at the end of 2018.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:55 pm

Only lump sum payments count as a part of termination payments, so make them regular fortnightly payments over 20 years or an annuity.

Last edited by What'sinaname on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:59 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Only lump sum payments count, so make them regular fortnightly payments over 20 years.

And what provision outlines what is artificial or what is not?

Yeah that would work!
Rolling Eyes

burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:02 pm

Can he play in defence?

Can he be a tagger?

Can he ruck Embarassed

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:14 pm

Invigoration wrote:
Give him the pre-season and another year to make a mark, we aren't that tight up for spots on the list that we need to cut him. Hopefully a fire spurs in his belly over the off season, surely he is embarrassed by the current state of affairs as from all reports he is a pretty honest and genuine sort of guy.

Agreed.

Worst case is we're paying $500k ps for a playing assistant VFL coach

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Invigoration wrote:

Absolutely agree with this.
In 2016, he was never dropped from the Dockers team at any point through that season. Less than12 months later, he is just average in a VFL team.
You just don't see such a fall from grace very often in a 28 year old player ( although Chris Dawes does spring to mind )

I don't think it's a big stretch to think he could improve a bit on his 2017 form. Whether we like it or not, he forms part of our TPP, so let's not completely write him off until maybe the half way point of next season.
stoid Virgo

stoid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:09 pm

I'm sorry, but players don't just get $500,000 per year.
Months ago I heard that he was on a performance based contract. Basically it means if he plays X amount of games, he earns his $500,000. But he has underperformed and not reached his target, so I'd be surprised if he got more than $300,000 this year. Offer him a severance payout of $200,000 and at least he can get a job and mitigate his losses. No other club would employ him, well as a player.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:29 pm

Whatever the cost or consequence, get rid of him.

Absolute waste of space. The dumbest deal I can recall.

Bleedblackanwhite 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:35 pm

I cop it from my mates about this one all the time, and I can only half heartily give a defence before I point at something or rather nothing and yell " what was that " in the hope the subject changes....
sem Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:52 pm

I would have appointed him as senior coach .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12   

Jump to: