Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Coaching group

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big T 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Get Nick Maxwell ffs
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:01 pm

Maxy and Ling
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:09 pm

Heard that Rohan Smith who was instrumental in Doggies premiership back line planning was relieved of that job this season and not pleased
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:40 pm

Someone said earlier a throwaway about Vos but why not? Same with Hird. If they can work together why not. All three tried the direct route to coaching and Bucks is the only survivor cos of Ed. Three modern day champions. They have a lot to offer.

Too many good footy brains are lost to the industry once they get the Sack. I put Vos and Hird in this bracket.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:29 pm

https://youtu.be/4ALH3BoIq9U

Here is last nights On the Couch episode featuring the President.

A few things of note one can take away from it but the one that sticks in my mind the most is our seemingly endless obsession that Buckley needed and still needs a mentor.

Honestly how many newly appointed senior coaches receive that level of guidance or indeed need a director of coaching in order to succeed?

While I can accept Malthouse backed out of the deal agreed to and it wasn't seen as ideal for Buckley or what was planned (in reality did anyone seriously believe he would remain during 2011?) we did appoint Eade at the end of 2011 so the notion or indeed excuse trying to be sold by McGuire that we're in our current predicament because we didn't provide Buckley adequate support is both a falsehood to begin with and arguably should be irrelevant 6 years further along in his coaching experience.

So what now?

We get Roos or another as a "mentor" for Buckley as his coaching director but what then?

Does anyone have the faintest idea how this relationship is supposed to work and what roles and/or decisions a coaching director make?

Will he effectively be a ghost coach of the club responsible for overhauling our system of play with Buckley effectively reduced to the role of senior assistant, a go between with the players, the figure head for the media and positioned front and centre on game day?

I would assume that wouldn't or shouldn't be the case so now what?

Will Buckley be accepting and open to critical feedback from his mentor of both his game plan and style of leadership and be prepared to take on some of these suggestions even in doubt as a means to gain possible improvement?

Will they work in collaboration to strip our systems back to the bare bones and build them up again, decide what areas of skills development require the most attention, put processes in place that empower the assistants to feel they can speak up even if in disagreement and look for ways to increase and improve the flow of communication between the players, coaches and support staff that leads to an honest and healthy club culture?

I assume hopefully most of the above is a part of a coaching directors mandate but honestly I have NFI and look forward to seeing what this mentor (if appointed) has to offer the coach and club as a whole.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:50 pm

Hirdy why not, if he can bring it to the table, meh give him a redemption story. He has a house in Toorak too...

Side by Side we will do whatever it takes lol

K 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:06 am

Culprit wrote:
Mc Guane's record as a coach is quite good and in saying that he has been booted from various clubs as well. There is a good side and there is a bad side.

Jezza wrote:
There's no doubting McGuane's footy brain, but the worry is the associated baggage that comes with him.

What are these bootings, bad side, baggage, etc.?
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:07 am

Cam wrote:
Hirdy why not, if he can bring it to the table, meh give him a redemption story. He has a house in Toorak too...

Side by Side we will do whatever it takes lol

We all moving to Toorak? Maybe they'll let us all pitch a tent on their front lawn..

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:58 am

Swoop I get the premise of what your saying but I think it's not actually a mentor role as we would imagine it.
I gleaned from it that person would be basically chairman of selectors to play devils advocate and be a tactical advisory to the coach.
I really understand the misgivings how this relationship may work it needs both parties to be humble, open, accepting and most importantly honest.
The "mentor" must be a strong enough person to challenge the coach whilst being respectful and Buckley must be man enough to accept any ideas or criticism and be willing to adjust his perceived game style to actually fit the players we have at our disposal.
I don't see this mentors role being a long term gig. I would imagine it would be a 2 year assignment to put the polish on Buckley and I'm guessing that from Eddie's perspective that will lead to success giving Eddie the opportunity to say "yes we made mistakes we saw this and fixed this now we are having success and we kept Nathan as coach and now it's reaping rewards"
Again this is all just an opinion maybe more wishful,thinking because if we don't land the right person as mentor then it can and mostly likely will,go pear shape very quickly.
For mine I see a guy like Ratten as ideal. He took a list that wasn't full of talent to finals and was a very strong attacking/offensive style coach. He may like to be the guy in the back seat knowing his personal circumstances.
Roos may be a good choice as well as coaches from him strake have shown to be quite well developed.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:00 am

I'm not sure if the right term is mentor, but I think it's a good idea to have someone over the senior coach who handles the management side and keeps things on track. All human beings make mistakes, Buckley included. The most successful coaches make the fewest mistakes. The club is now admitting it made mistakes in the football department during Buckley's reign of coaching. Would the club have made these mistakes on the football side had Buckley had a senior person over him with the power to veto decisions over recruitment and list management.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:22 am

Isn't that the job of the Head of the Football Department?
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:33 am

Am wondering how we differ from other clubs and by that I mean what kind of support did Bevo have when he arrived at Bulldogs that led that club to a flag

Bucks has held the reins of a club that achieved that seven years back so where have we failed to stay up like the Sydney --Geelong--Hawks over that period

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:56 am

Highly recommend the Talking Footy podcast with Christian Fagan for an insight into the Hawthorn coaching group and the way it operated.
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:01 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
I'm not sure if the right term is mentor, but I think it's a good idea to have someone over the senior coach who handles the management side and keeps things on track. All human beings make mistakes, Buckley included. The most successful coaches make the fewest mistakes. The club is now admitting it made mistakes in the football department during Buckley's reign of coaching. Would the club have made these mistakes on the football side had Buckley had a senior person over him with the power to veto decisions over recruitment and list management.

Probably would be in a similar position. One role above could be bad just as easily as good. You might get a great person but if the people under are second guessing their decisions it can go to custard just as easily. The coaching mix will be very organic - how well people work together and have room to be their best. The only point worth noting is the stability. Any new coach will struggle unless they bring in their own team and even then the mix with the playing group is an issue. Bucks was starting pretty well from scratch - the team he gets together was always going to be unstable until he can build - which is one reason why I was against his appointment. He has built relationships and strategies now, he should have a lot ahead of him. We should be very slow to change a coach who works with passion.

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:08 am

Whether we hire Hird or not, I want this story to have legs, even just to stir Slobbo's pot a bit.

Yeah I can see Slobbo on his couch late at night in his jocks, watching re-runs of Letterman, his singlet stained with tears, spilt booze and rendered lard from the KFC.

Over and over he replays all the things he did for James. How he was always there for him. How in Hird's hour of need, Slobbo stood by him and rallied everyone to support him. How Slobbo trusted him and now how he's been betrayed.

How could Hirdy go to Collingwood? How could he go to Eddie? How could he go to Buckley? Those bitches could never love James as much as Slobbo does!

"F&*$ing whore!!!!", Slobbo snarls and in a wild swipe of a pudgy, hairy arm, he send a half slab of empties flying from the coffee table.

"I doen needjoo enn-way... Fuggn... wh.. fuggn..." and with that, he collapses into another fit of sobbing. "I doen needjoo hoo... hoo..."

Slowly, Slobbo reaches for the mobile. If only James knew how much he meant to him....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9   

Jump to: