Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Nathan Buckley retention debate thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley - did the club get it right?
Yes (the evidence supported a new contract)
18%
 18%  [ 21 ]
No (the evidence said he should have been sacked)
22%
 22%  [ 26 ]
Yes (results say otherwise, but I still think he's the man)
28%
 28%  [ 32 ]
No (results are the only thing that matters, he had to go)
8%
 8%  [ 10 ]
Yes (I will back him until the end of time)
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
No (I will never back him, he is a terrible coach)
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Whatever the club thinks is best, I back and support
8%
 8%  [ 10 ]
Undecided/Other (please articulate, all views welcome!)
7%
 7%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 114

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's obvious that those who who support Buckley are comfortable with the decision made those who don't will always have there doubts and that's fair enough. It would be boring if we all agreed.
I'm still fence sitting.
At the bye he was gone in my eyes and nothing was going to save him.
The last 6 weeks didn't change my mind but it did make me wonder was he getting the most out of the talent he had available thus making him a fair to decent coach.
With no Pendles Varcoe Wells Grundy (for 3 games) we had 4 automatic selections missing and likely 3 of those 4 are nearly our most important players (Pendles Grundy Wells)
We showed plenty of ticker to never turn it up and get thumped and to at a minimum be competitive and other then winning games being competitive is the minimum standard required.
Our average losing margin was 19 points and our biggest loss was 37 points. Hardly the figures that says the side isn't doing ok and turning up each week to play.
Now whether they play for the coach the club the supporters each other or just pride doesn't matter one iota to me.
Looking back at seasons end to some of our losses we could and likely should have won 4&1/2 more games (goal kicking just killed us in 3 early losses and some super poor defensive lapses cost us 2 more wins minimum)
If we had won those games (yes I know we didn't so it's hypothetical) we would have finished with 14 wins and played finals easily.
Honestly we weren't far off in realistic terms but that's not what matters.
2018 can't be a season of near misses or lost opportunities again.
For mine Buckley was reappointed because we couldn't land the big name fish we wanted so the Board decided better the devil you know
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:14 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
It's obvious that those who who support Buckley are comfortable with the decision made those who don't will always have there doubts and that's fair enough. It would be boring if we all agreed.
I'm still fence sitting.
At the bye he was gone in my eyes and nothing was going to save him.
The last 6 weeks didn't change my mind but it did make me wonder was he getting the most out of the talent he had available thus making him a fair to decent coach.
With no Pendles Varcoe Wells Grundy (for 3 games) we had 4 automatic selections missing and likely 3 of those 4 are nearly our most important players (Pendles Grundy Wells)
We showed plenty of ticker to never turn it up and get thumped and to at a minimum be competitive and other then winning games being competitive is the minimum standard required.
Our average losing margin was 19 points and our biggest loss was 37 points. Hardly the figures that says the side isn't doing ok and turning up each week to play.
Now whether they play for the coach the club the supporters each other or just pride doesn't matter one iota to me.
Looking back at seasons end to some of our losses we could and likely should have won 4&1/2 more games (goal kicking just killed us in 3 early losses and some super poor defensive lapses cost us 2 more wins minimum)
If we had won those games (yes I know we didn't so it's hypothetical) we would have finished with 14 wins and played finals easily.
Honestly we weren't far off in realistic terms but that's not what matters.
2018 can't be a season of near misses or lost opportunities again.
For mine Buckley was reappointed because we couldn't land the big name fish we wanted so the Board decided better the devil you know

Getting to the finals is a little bit short of 50/50 in any one year. It is an indictment on the fans when the mere getting to this point is the holy grail for the Buckley supporters. Man, how much have we fallen in terms of expectation
Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:25 pm

We have fallen a long way. Every club that misses the finals muses over the difference a couple of wins would have made. Fact is they were losses. I'm sure Melbourne think about needing 2 more goals. It's a close comp. Collingwood will need to take chances or they will not improve organically next year. There has to be a move away from celebrating honourable losses because losses are losses. So what if we get flogged a couple of times trying to win? Percentage is pointless when you don't win enough games. collingwood were 5-10 after 15 games having not suffered any significant injuries other than Wells late start. Gone in early July. There needs to be significant improvement.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:48 pm

The tigers were gonna sack Hardwick one year ago, now look at em, one step from a GF, things can turn very, very quickly in footy, just ask Doggies fans too. !!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:01 pm

When did we nab Bucks from the bears?.. a long time back which ever way you look at it... hardly quick in anyone's books... when will this tale of woe end.
Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:33 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
The tigers were gonna sack Hardwick one year ago, now look at em, one step from a GF, things can turn very, very quickly in footy, just ask Doggies fans too. !!

Richmond had made 3 of the last 4 final series and had shown some signs of improvement under Hardwick. We are yet to see that happen with Buckley - if it magically happens next year then great. There is just zero evidence after 6 years
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Cruisinwithdids wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Richmond had made 3 of the last 4 final series and had shown some signs of improvement under Hardwick. We are yet to see that happen with Buckley - if it magically happens next year then great. There is just zero evidence after 6 years

Richmond have been slowly re-building for 37 years. Rolling Eyes
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:36 am

Quick discussion with acquaintance and friend in supermarket: god I hope I get a ticket if we make it. I was too young last time to go, it's been so long.....
me: I went to the last one.
Friend chimes in but you don't barrack for Richmond!
Acquaintance: sorry but that shits me, the real fans should get in first, blah blah blah blah blah
I didn't catch the rest I was laughing!
Me. The other team has fans too ya know!
The second of three losses I saw before that oh so magic day in October!

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:50 am

think positive wrote:
Quick discussion with acquaintance and friend in supermarket: god I hope I get a ticket if we make it. I was too young last time to go, it's been so long.....
Acquaintance: sorry but that shits me, the real fans should get in first, blah blah blah blah blah

Oh, but didn't ya know TP, the cocky Tiggers ALREADY have the flag in the bag, lock stock n barrel, its done, its over, just a mere formality the next two Finals, then the big big party time. Exclamation

The bigger they are, the harder they fall. Razz

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:54 am

Piesnchess wrote:
think positive wrote:

Oh, but didn't ya know TP, the cocky Tiggers ALREADY have the flag in the bag, lock stock n barrel, its done, its over, just a mere formality the next two Finals, then the big big party time. Exclamation

To see the Tigers win would be "good for football" but their supporters will be unbearable.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:06 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
think positive wrote:

To see the Tigers win would be "good for football" but their supporters will be unbearable.

yEP, Iceland for 6 months might be enticing ! Cool

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:25 pm

As a fifth columnist and closet Carlton supporter I do not want to get into the current, errr, situation. But it occurs to me we have never had a rolled gold dead set dud coach.

Mchale replaced by Phonse Kyne, then Rose, Mann, Weidemann, Hafey, Cahill, Mathews, Shaw, Malthouse, Buckley. They're all fairly good, most of them have won finals. Those who haven't won finals have come close. And the successful ones had long lean periods. So it's reasonable to assume that if they were put in front of a Manchester United or Hawthorn at their peak, they would do very well.

We have never had a dead set shocker. No Dennis Jones, no Gary Buckenara, no Peter Rhode. Kid not yourselves they had dud teams, these guys couldn't coach a fox to steal chickens. Does anyone remember any other dud coaches through the journey?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:14 pm

regan is true fullback wrote:
As a fifth columnist and closet Carlton supporter I do not want to get into the current, errr, situation. But it occurs to me we have never had a rolled gold dead set dud coach.

Mchale replaced by Phonse Kyne, then Rose, Mann, Weidemann, Hafey, Cahill, Mathews, Shaw, Malthouse, Buckley. They're all fairly good, most of them have won finals. Those who haven't won finals have come close. And the successful ones had long lean periods. So it's reasonable to assume that if they were put in front of a Manchester United or Hawthorn at their peak, they would do very well.

We have never had a dead set shocker. No Dennis Jones, no Gary Buckenara, no Peter Rhode. Kid not yourselves they had dud teams, these guys couldn't coach a fox to steal chickens. Does anyone remember any other dud coaches through the journey?

Well said ritbfb. Both Tony Jewell and Alex Jezalenko coached Premiership teams and then were unceremoniously dumped as being dud coaches. That's always proved to me that, in most cases, players make coaches.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:19 am

regan is true fullback wrote:

Royce Hart wrecked Footscray in less than two years. Two of our own have questionable records - Guy McKenna and Mark Neeld.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:55 pm

I am shocked. I read a blog called The Roar. And there was an, errr, discussion about our amazing coach, led by a statistician called Tim Gore who normally comments on rugby. He stuck the boot into you know who and got some spirited replies from various f- fellows.

Anyway, some of the replies looked mighty familiar, especially this one:

Quote:
The Fatman said | August 31st 2017 @ 11:28am | ! Report
It is 20 years to the day that the Princess Di car crash occurred in Paris.
And, at the same time, Collingwood celebrated one of its greatest wins

It ought to be, I wrote it! In this very thread! I don't know who The Fatman is but he isn't me! Have other people had their words of wisdom purloined without so much as a by your leave?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16   

Jump to: