Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Nathan Buckley retention debate thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley - did the club get it right?
Yes (the evidence supported a new contract)
18%
 18%  [ 21 ]
No (the evidence said he should have been sacked)
22%
 22%  [ 26 ]
Yes (results say otherwise, but I still think he's the man)
28%
 28%  [ 32 ]
No (results are the only thing that matters, he had to go)
8%
 8%  [ 10 ]
Yes (I will back him until the end of time)
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
No (I will never back him, he is a terrible coach)
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Whatever the club thinks is best, I back and support
8%
 8%  [ 10 ]
Undecided/Other (please articulate, all views welcome!)
7%
 7%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 114

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:06 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Scott Burns sent to Hawthorn as the insurance policy. If Bucks doesn't work out SSB will have a 2 year apprenticeship with Clarkson.

Yep, Dr Pies view at the Footy on Saturday. I agree with that. However, why not Brent Ratten? He'd be my go to coach.

ROB 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:38 am

Quite clearly, objective evidence gained by Walsh and considered by the board pointed to Buckey remaining. I have been an advocate of an objective approach to the decision - if the review determined Buckley was to go, then I would have supported that decision also. And so it is time for the club to put in place/improve all that has been identified as the root cause(s) of the lack of success all are searching for. The umpires whistle has blown - the decision will not be reversed - now lets get on with the show and stop carping about it. Like at the end of a game, in 2 years time we will either be able to say the umpire got it right or wrong. Go 'Pies - SBS.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:41 am

The simple and harsh reality is that Nathan Buckley remains coach of Collingwood tonight purely because he is Nathan Buckley.

Outside of having continued player support and being an excellent media communicator he as senior coach has failed to date in the area of most importance and that's on field results.

It doesn't matter how one tries to spin it 4 years of consecutive non finals appearances is a lackluster result for any coach and would generally result in a dismissal even prior to the point we found ourselves in.

If you look at the records of the premierships coaches during the AFL era it shows only 1 out of the last 14 have produced this same result as Nathan and still gone on to guide a side to there first flag.

As it stands Buckley is Mr. 7%.

I found it quite bemusing that less than a week after being told the Walsh review would stop short of making a recommendation about the coaching position we were informed via the press conference that in fact he did just that and his recommendation was Nathan.

Well surprise surprise.

Now I'm sure the "silent majority"Wink who choose to show there support for the club by ratifying any decision they make as the correct one will be rejoicing and see this as a justification for his retention, those of us however who dare to question those in power, seek transparency and believe no one is infallible see it as anything but.

I get the distinct feeling we may have actually sought out experienced coaches for Nathans position but in being knocked back sought out a way to justify his retention and this is what the review provided perfect cover for.

In my opinion Nathans position was never in doubt with the Walsh review and the outcome surrounding him was written before it even commenced.

This review will hopefully help identify and rectify problem areas within the football department that will lead to better outcomes for the club going forward but I find it somewhat dishonest that the review has supposedly found many areas that need improvement which will ultimately lead to the dismissal or demotion of individuals and yet leave the senior coach seemingly unscathed.

The other thing that should be noted is that McGuire, Buckley and Pert would be the very architects themselves of many of the problems identified with only Pert being held to account to date.

So here we are, a club at the crossroads and about to implement significant changes to the football department to support a coach who in all honesty remains primarily in the position based on his stellar playing career at Collingwood, being a man of "integrity" and a remaining hope to see him succeed.

While I believe McGuire has made the decision an emotional and selfish one I'm prepared to be open minded for one more season and support Buckley and hope the off season changes implemented prove successful and we return to finals.

Still it's a massive high stakes gamble by McGuire and the board.

If it doesn't result in the same Richmond "bounce" they have been trying to sell in recent weeks as a positive example of coach retention then enough is enough and the coaches contract must be torn up.

Miss finals next season then I'm afraid Buckley will find himself Mr. 0% and the dream is over.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:03 am

Tannin wrote:
The one constant here is that the croakers never, ever, ever suggest a credible alternative.

An untried assistant who has never coached at senior level? Yer right.

A has-been like Williams? Give me a break.

A well-respected senior coach from another club, such as Clarkson? In what universe?

So, failing anything sensible to suggest, they just moan and criticise endlessly and pointlessly.

I would only have contemplated moving Bucks on, if we had been able to get either Clarko, or Longmire, that's it. I also did not want some untried one like Dew, or Barker, even a Ratten. Roos ruled himself out, so that's bout it, nobody else around. For me, it was Longmire or Clarko, that's it, finite. But we have opted to stay with Bucks, who does seem to have the full support of the players, and there will be big changes around him, to give him more support and backup. He also seems to have changed his style lately, as Hardwick has with the tigers, and its worked well. I can live with his re appointment, we have a very good, young list, a potentially great list, if we can get Lever, and a young KPP Forward, that would ice the cake for me. Smile

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:10 am

^ Swoop, that's all fine, but your analogy with other premiership coaches is not a fair one. I presume none of them took over a side that had just played off in two premierships, and had played finals in each of the previous five years, and was facing a wall of senior retirements with very, very little fresh talent coming through. Unless you have a similar base, it is not a fair comparison.

Where I think Buckley can reasonably be faulted is firstly, in overestimating the quality of the list, and not managing expectations as a result ; and secondly, in failing to build good defensive structures in the first few years (iirc he has never had a back line coach who was an actual quality backman).

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:17 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
I think it's clear the clubs supporter base shall remain divided regardless of what the club 'whispers' out to the supporters in a bid to regain a little unity.

Also here is an article by Rohan Connolly

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/news/nathan-buckley-coach-collingwood-magpies-record-contract-finals-rohan-connolly-update/1wvxkg4l15ih81o1qtrp3wtd1y

Connolly as is often the case nails it.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:24 am

swoop42 wrote:
The simple and harsh reality is that Nathan Buckley remains coach of Collingwood tonight purely because he is Nathan Buckley.

This is true to an extent, positively and negatively (mostly positive).

A less impressive person may well have been let go, but the club is clearly convinced that Buckley is the right man for the job. When you are convinced of that, you stick with him. Is his past as a player also playing some part? Maybe, but we've seen some very high profile former players sacked fairly early (Tony Shaw as an example). The fact is he's proven to be a pretty good coach and the club have faith that he's the man to take us forward. These other great names didn't show anything and were moved on. If Buckley were really a terrible coach he'd have been sacked already.

Number of years outside of finals doesn't mean a lot to me. It depends far too much on circumstance. The natural coaching trajectory is a bottom team that builds up. Buckley's situation was very different and put him in a no win situation which should never have gone ahead. His first few years were simply struggling to get control of the personnel given the handover blunder.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:49 am

ROB wrote:
Quite clearly, objective evidence gained by Walsh and considered by the board pointed to Buckey remaining. I have been an advocate of an objective approach to the decision - if the review determined Buckley was to go, then I would have supported that decision also. And so it is time for the club to put in place/improve all that has been identified as the root cause(s) of the lack of success all are searching for. The umpires whistle has blown - the decision will not be reversed - now lets get on with the show and stop carping about it. Like at the end of a game, in 2 years time we will either be able to say the umpire got it right or wrong. Go 'Pies - SBS.

Wow, hold the wedding a minute

Paid employees doing an internal review does not constitute objectivity, far from it.

However as you say Buckley has been appointed for two years.

This is a bulletin board where people can express different point of views: my ones & wrong ones. The last time I looked we are not living in a state demanding total conformity - god, even the nutty right or alt right or shift delete alt right climate change deniers are still given space to air their views on VPT

How did Bucks get to be coach then & how did Ed get to be president? I didn't vote for them

They got there by exploiting the members;
By hanging on to an outdated mode of managerialism that seeks to perpetuate inequality inherent in the system.

Rise up with me brother till we get to live in an anarcho-syndaclist commune and we can make coaches & presidents accountable for the clubs results.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:45 am

Those wanting the discussion shut down might have a point if they didn't have a history of attacking Collingwood players they don't like...

Cant claim blind faith must be followed, but only when it suits you!

Its going to take something of a miracle for next year to be any better and the knives will be out yet again, don't you worry. I am glad some people are such loyal Collingwood supporters they support the club taking the decision to continue being shit for 2 more years. Some fans love the club but would like to see some success, maybe those who love failure truly are Carlton fans?
Peponi 

There is only one team. And that team is Collingwood.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:10 am

The answer to a simple question on this issue sums this decision up perfectly. If Buckley wasn't a former champion player and Eddie's mate, would he had been given an extension of 2 years having taken the club backwards since taking over and left the side without finals for four consecutive seasons?
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:12 am

ROB wrote:

I haven't seen the terms of reference, the review, or the references to the evidence. How did you get access to it? Can you post a link to it, or the documents themselves?
Ioannina 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:20 am

great decision to extend bucks contract..with hard work and bucks game plan strategy culture we can, with great effort, finish 14th next year and why not win the wooden spoon...
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:24 am

Tannin wrote:
The one constant here is that the croakers never, ever, ever suggest a credible alternative.

An untried assistant who has never coached at senior level? Yer right.

A has-been like Williams? Give me a break.

A well-respected senior coach from another club, such as Clarkson? In what universe?

So, failing anything sensible to suggest, they just moan and criticise endlessly and pointlessly.

I don't know what you're talking about. There have been a number of credible alternative coaches discussed. Just because you don't think they aren't suitable, it doesn't mean that they aren't suitable s a senior coach.
Ioannina 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:26 am

Sensei Grundy wrote:
The answer to a simple question on this issue sums this decision up perfectly. If Buckley wasn't a former champion player and Eddie's mate, would he had been given an extension of 2 years having taken the club backwards since taking over and left the side without finals for four consecutive seasons?

buck and eddie mates?? more likely to be lovers Shocked Cool Twisted Evil Wink Crying or Very sad Laughing Surprised Laughing Laughing
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:09 am

Mugwump wrote:
^ Swoop, that's all fine, but your analogy with other premiership coaches is not a fair one. I presume none of them took over a side that had just played off in two premierships, and had played finals in each of the previous five years, and was facing a wall of senior retirements with very, very little fresh talent coming through. Unless you have a similar base, it is not a fair comparison.

Where I think Buckley can reasonably be faulted is firstly, in overestimating the quality of the list, and not managing expectations as a result ; and secondly, in failing to build good defensive structures in the first few years (iirc he has never had a back line coach who was an actual quality backman).

Ben Hart defeats your argument. Also Rivers is a quality backman and has made a promising debut coaching the VFL side. I hope we don't lose him because we need assistant coaches who have experience both in the backline and the forward line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 4 of 16   

Jump to: