Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Nathan Buckley retention debate thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley - did the club get it right?
Yes (the evidence supported a new contract)
18%
 18%  [ 21 ]
No (the evidence said he should have been sacked)
22%
 22%  [ 26 ]
Yes (results say otherwise, but I still think he's the man)
28%
 28%  [ 32 ]
No (results are the only thing that matters, he had to go)
8%
 8%  [ 10 ]
Yes (I will back him until the end of time)
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
No (I will never back him, he is a terrible coach)
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Whatever the club thinks is best, I back and support
8%
 8%  [ 10 ]
Undecided/Other (please articulate, all views welcome!)
7%
 7%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 114

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted:

Yes (the evidence supported a new contract)

By the way.

Daz 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:15 pm

I voted by asking the family if they wished to continue on for a 8th year as paying members. Was a unanimous no, the last 2 years was enough and they just dont enjoy going any more. I'll probably down size to a 3 game membership for myself as i still enjoy going to games and being a sucker for punishment. Will suck not having the partner and kids with me.
On a plus side, the money saved is a trip away.
So thanks ed
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:20 pm

I was leaning between yes (results say otherwise, but he's still the man) to undecided. In the end I voted undecided.

It isn't clearcut either way so I can see why the club may have been hesitant to make a decision one way or another and why this saga dragged on the way it did. If you told me after round 16 that he would coach in 2018 then I would have laughed, but his last seven weeks were largely positive and indeed may have saved him contrary to what Eddie and co have said.

Buckley benefited off a few factors that gave him an extension:

- 1. Our average losing margin was smaller than most clubs, which demonstrated our competitive nature despite losing too often for our liking.
- 2. The players were playing for him. There was no evidence to suggest otherwise and it seems as though we may be reaching a point where natural improvement and progression will become emerge next year and beyond as they mature.
- 3. The review seemed to favour him, albeit there was an acknowledgement that the club needed to change its ways in various paths to help Buckley succeed.
- 4. He's a favourite son of the club, and in turn I think this has created a more lenient mentality amongst many within the Collingwood fraternity when it comes to his coaching ability.
- 5. The success of Damien Hardwick. It's clear that the club wants to emulate what Richmond did last year by changing up the assistants and restructuring the football department.

The concerns that remain is that the decision to extend his contract is a risky, but bold decision that has the potential to set us back further if we don't improve or decline further, so it's crucial we get things done properly in the off-season to have the best chance to succeed in 2018 and 2019. We also still remain sceptical as to whether Buckley has the tactical nous and flexibility to develop a game plan that can win us games more often than not.

I'm in two minds about this. I can see the arguments from both sides of the equation and in my mind it go either way depending on what we do from here. I've always supported the club and happy to get behind Bucks, but an air of scepticism still exists for me. If he succeeds, then we'll all be delighted, but if this decision ultimately results in failure, then some accountability will need to be adhered to at the end of the day.

It will be fascinating to see what happens now, and one way or another, I'm glad that we have the necessary clarity on his future because the relentless media speculation was becoming tiresome.

i hate carlton 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:24 pm

Glad he has been re-signed <snip, enough with the name calling - the mods>.

Bucks will deliver us multiple flags.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=66021&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:25 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Seriously mods, what is the point of this thread, other than to begin another round of undermining our coach?

FFS, move on.

Nicks used to be a site for Magpie supporters, but now I'm not so sure. Rolling Eyes

<Mod edit: The alternative is that those so inclined will just continue to post threads when they are so inclined. Don't like people having their say, then don't come in here.>

It's a forum, where matters regarding the club can be discussed no matter how controversial or heated it may become, as long it doesn't cross a certain line, which is why we have moderators to begin with.

The discussion around Nathan Buckley and his coaching ability has only begun. We've gone from whether he should stay or not, to whether the club made the right decision or not. I don't see why such discussion around him should be ceased because his ardent supporters say so.

I've noticed this sort of attitude on social media today as well, where too many supporters have been quick to attempt to silence fellow supporters because they don't hold the "correct" opinion, and frankly it's beginning to annoy me.

Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:27 pm

MCGuire president = Buckley coach. simple. The pathetic garbled justification for this irresponsible appointment is laughable. 2 person club, 2 person spin doctor team. Cronyism.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:35 pm

Jezza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Seriously mods, what is the point of this thread, other than to begin another round of undermining our coach?

FFS, move on.

Nicks used to be a site for Magpie supporters, but now I'm not so sure. Rolling Eyes

<Mod edit: The alternative is that those so inclined will just continue to post threads when they are so inclined. Don't like people having their say, then don't come in here.>

It's a forum, where matters regarding the club can be discussed no matter how controversial or heated it may become, as long it doesn't cross a certain line, which is why we have moderators to begin with.

The discussion around Nathan Buckley and his coaching ability has only begun. We've gone from whether he should stay or not, to whether the club made the right decision or not. I don't see why such discussion around him should be ceased because his ardent supporters say so.

I've noticed this sort of attitude on social media today as well, where too many supporters have been quick to attempt to silence fellow supporters because they don't hold the "correct" opinion, and frankly it's beginning to annoy me.

People can discuss whatever they like.

For me now though, Buckley's here for another two years. I guess one if 2018's a disaster. Time to get behind him and evaluate later. No one's going to get any joy from constant bagging or hyper criticism. I won't be reading this thread during the season, not that I really read the last one either, I'm just going to enjoy the footy.

John LEWIN 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:38 pm

I think some of us need this thread, a sort of group therapy for endless frustration with the way things are. Nicks is a mental health plan! Keep on venting, it may take years but one day, somehow or other, Nathan Buckley will no longer be the coach of Collingwood.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:39 pm

Like many Pies supporters over the last few years I have come away from games frustrated and asking myself why we all fork out our hard earned on membership and then be expected to watch some of the crap games we have suffered through

That said I believe we are on the right track but like most things in life there are no guarantees. I had no expectation that Buckley from day one would be the comsumate coach. I knew it would take time to develop the people and game skills.

I have enough faith to go again and renew my membership. Winning premierships takes time, luck, planning, skill and a great deal more luck. Give up your memberships and your reserved seat if that is where you are at but remember a Pies member will take it, prize it and will cheer on the boys to more victories.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:43 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:

For me now though, Buckley's here for another two years. I guess one if 2018's a disaster. Time to get behind him and evaluate later. No one's going to get any joy from constant bagging or hyper criticism. I won't be reading this thread during the season, not that I really read the last one either, I'm just going to enjoy the footy.

It's up to you on whether you want to contribute to the discussion or not. That's your prerogative and one you're entitled to, but I can't stand the sentiment around shutting down discussion surrounding the senior coach because it annoys some supporters.

For what it's worth, I actually think you've been one of the most balanced posters on this board around this issue and the club in general, so it's been refreshing to read what you've posted. I agree that as it stands the decision has been made and it will be a matter of evaluation in due course.

Let's hope at the end of this, Buckley finally delivers the goods and benefits off the rebuild we've undertaken in the last few years.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:53 pm

Jezza wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

It's up to you on whether you want to contribute to the discussion or not. That's your prerogative and one you're entitled to, but I can't stand the sentiment around shutting down discussion surrounding the senior coach because it annoys some supporters.

For what it's worth, I actually think you've been one of the most balanced posters on this board around this issue and the club in general, so it's been refreshing to read what you've posted. I agree that as it stands the decision has been made and it will be a matter of evaluation in due course.

Let's hope at the end of this, Buckley finally delivers the goods and benefits off the rebuild we've undertaken in the last few years.

Rational, considered criticism is always welcome, and yours is always that. Irrational bashing or praising not so much, but I've got no problem with that either, it can be fun. Completely with you on not shutting down debate, it's not that hard to ignore topics I'm tired of.

The best way to shut down debate will be for Buckley to do a 2010 Malthouse, or close to. Worked for Mick.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:54 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
I think based on performance this is the sensible decision.

Usually when a coach is sacked it's on the back of non-competitive performances. Immediate sacking almost always requires a series of thrashings. Under Buckley we'd not had that, and certainly not this year. This proves that he is at worst a decent coach. You then need to decide if the results being slightly below expectation (and it's pretty slight) is due to him only being decent (there's no evidence that he's a terrible coach) or whether it comes down to circumstance.

I think that most evidence points to circumstance and that we have the right man for the job. In that case, it's a very good thing that the club have made a strong decision and not caved in to media or supporter pressure. There are many examples of coaches under pressure being unpopularly reappointed and then turning things around. Let's hope there is another coming in 2018.

A major reason for Buckley's perceived failure is that our rebuild did not include a bottoming out. Usually a team would go down to the bottom then start to move back up. We had enough pieces in place that meant we were able to remain competitive. So we still went through a rebuild, it was just less noticeable and looked more like treading water and that has led to some impatience.

A sensible, balanced and rational post, as always. Thank you.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:40 pm

Jezza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

FFS, move on.

The point is we've had a thread going all year on whether Bucks should be sacked or retained. All the arguments on both sides have been made ad nauseam. So having had hundreds of posts on whether Bucks should have a contract extension, now that he's got the contract extension, what is the point of starting a new thread on whether his contract extension was right or not? FFS, there is nothing new to say or to ad that hasn't been said 50 times already. Haven't the mods seen the movie Groundhog day?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:42 pm

The one constant here is that the croakers never, ever, ever suggest a credible alternative.

An untried assistant who has never coached at senior level? Yer right.

A has-been like Williams? Give me a break.

A well-respected senior coach from another club, such as Clarkson? In what universe?

So, failing anything sensible to suggest, they just moan and criticise endlessly and pointlessly.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:05 am

The great thing about this is that we have finally accepted that there is simply no-one else in the entire country who would have been able to get that list of players to about 12th on the ladder every year for 4 years. You wouldn't want to give an untried coach a go because the team might fall away from such dizzy heights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16   

Jump to: