Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Nathan Buckley retention debate thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley - did the club get it right?
Yes (the evidence supported a new contract)
18%
 18%  [ 21 ]
No (the evidence said he should have been sacked)
22%
 22%  [ 26 ]
Yes (results say otherwise, but I still think he's the man)
28%
 28%  [ 32 ]
No (results are the only thing that matters, he had to go)
8%
 8%  [ 10 ]
Yes (I will back him until the end of time)
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
No (I will never back him, he is a terrible coach)
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Whatever the club thinks is best, I back and support
8%
 8%  [ 10 ]
Undecided/Other (please articulate, all views welcome!)
7%
 7%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 114

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary that the majority says that he should not have been appointed on the evidence, but they still think he's the man for the job, maybe Dermie is right.

However, I hope he's not.

I voted undecided, because I really am! It depends which demon on my shoulder is talking. We shouldn't have beaten Melbourne or Geelong, but we did, we shouldn't have lost to Carlton but we did, the umpires stole 2.5 games from us that I can pinpoint, that puts us very close, if not in the eight. That's a plus right there. I do believe the players are playing for him. I also believe he has developed some flexibility in his thinking and methods. However, blind Freddie can see the holes, leaving the backline vacant and easy goals scored against us, especially in junk time, shitful skills at times, too many times, lacking a good foil and role model for the oh so important Moore, and leadership. Please set Pendles free to win the Brownlow, and give us an aggressive, passionate, heart on the sleeve, captain.
I have commented recently I think he is becoming a good coach, is it too late though? I guess I get to find out.

I'll be there round 1, full of hope, anticipation, and probably a good dash of terror! If it all falls in a heap, I expect, by round ten at the latest, that he has the grace to step down, and Eddie, this is on you. Make damn sure Buckley gets all the help we are allowed, stuff the other things, the men's AFL team is all that counts.

Go Pies, I'll stand Side By Side with Bucks, as long as I see massive improvement, that means bloody good hard drafting for a start. Cheers

Last edited by think positive on Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:55 pm

I think based on performance this is the sensible decision.

Usually when a coach is sacked it's on the back of non-competitive performances. Immediate sacking almost always requires a series of thrashings. Under Buckley we'd not had that, and certainly not this year. This proves that he is at worst a decent coach. You then need to decide if the results being slightly below expectation (and it's pretty slight) is due to him only being decent (there's no evidence that he's a terrible coach) or whether it comes down to circumstance.

I think that most evidence points to circumstance and that we have the right man for the job. In that case, it's a very good thing that the club have made a strong decision and not caved in to media or supporter pressure. There are many examples of coaches under pressure being unpopularly reappointed and then turning things around. Let's hope there is another coming in 2018.

A major reason for Buckley's perceived failure is that our rebuild did not include a bottoming out. Usually a team would go down to the bottom then start to move back up. We had enough pieces in place that meant we were able to remain competitive. So we still went through a rebuild, it was just less noticeable and looked more like treading water and that has led to some impatience.

Georgia 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:04 pm

I am going to change my name to Kevin Bartlett and never buy another membership until everyone of the current board members leave the place.

What does this decision say about accepting mediocrity. It should never be about what they think Buckley might achieve one day but what little he has achieved and what little he has learnt.

Tactically we had many very bad games this year and we had games where he was unable to adapt mid way through.

See you all in 2020.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:06 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
I think based on performance this is the sensible decision.

Usually when a coach is sacked it's on the back of non-competitive performances. Immediate sacking almost always requires a series of thrashings. Under Buckley we'd not had that, and certainly not this year. This proves that he is at worst a decent coach. You then need to decide if the results being slightly below expectation (and it's pretty slight) is due to him only being decent (there's no evidence that he's a terrible coach) or whether it comes down to circumstance.

I think that most evidence points to circumstance and that we have the right man for the job. In that case, it's a very good thing that the club have made a strong decision and not caved in to media or supporter pressure. There are many examples of coaches under pressure being unpopularly reappointed and then turning things around. Let's hope there is another coming in 2018.

A major reason for Buckley's perceived failure is that our rebuild did not include a bottoming out. Usually a team would go down to the bottom then start to move back up. We had enough pieces in place that meant we were able to remain competitive. So we still went through a rebuild, it was just less noticeable and looked more like treading water and that has led to some impatience.

Well we did make it to the bottom third of the ladder this year.
And on the cusp of bottom third for the 2 previous years. But he is really is a good coach.Pull the other one.

www.facebook.com/groups/knightsofabbotsford

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:14 pm

It was always going to be another two years.

Lined up perfectly with the end of Ed's current term.

Smart people like me said that all along.

What is the measure of the overall success of this strategy? I'd love to know.

Matters for shit, the <SNIP>. (Not acceptable - the mod team) will never stop worshiping at the altar of Eddie McGuire. As it was in the begibnning, is now, and ever shall be. Amen.

See you in another two years!

Peponi 

There is only one team. And that team is Collingwood.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:25 pm

What's next? James Hird offered a role at Collingwood. I wouldn't be surprised at the slightest if that happens.
Bleedblackanwhite 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:34 pm

I don't mind people having varied opinions, as we know there like a$$holes everyone's got one.. but the only opinion that matters in this situation, is the players opinion.
They have quite clearly expressed there opinion that they want bucks as coach. I can live with that.
As for mine, I've changed my opinion several times, but have committed myself to realising that bucks has the players support and that's all I really care about, because I know they will give him and the club there best, and that's all us supporters can hope for or ask for. Side by side. It's us against them. Let's just get behind him and the players!

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:41 pm
Post subject: CongratsReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Seriously mods, what is the point of this thread, other than to begin another round of undermining our coach?

FFS, move on.

Nicks used to be a site for Magpie supporters, but now I'm not so sure. Rolling Eyes

<Mod edit: The alternative is that those so inclined will just continue to post threads when they are so inclined. Don't like people having their say, then don't come in here.>

The Club clearly consider five years of failure nothing to warrant serious change or accountability. Collingwood have become a disgraceful club that rewards poor performance with contract extensions! The CEO had the decency to fall on his sword. Pitty the President and Coach didn't do the same. We are not Richmond and reappointing Buck will not necessarily produce success. But it does say one thing, we the fans count for nothing. So up yours Collingwood. You don't deserve our loyalty. And btw mods great reply to that poster trying to shut down debate. These people seem to hate free speech!

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:48 pm

I think it's clear the clubs supporter base shall remain divided regardless of what the club 'whispers' out to the supporters in a bid to regain a little unity.

Also here is an article by Rohan Connolly

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/news/nathan-buckley-coach-collingwood-magpies-record-contract-finals-rohan-connolly-update/1wvxkg4l15ih81o1qtrp3wtd1y

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:50 pm

All the other Clubs supporters are laughing at us.
They're laughing 'cause they know we're gonna be shit for at least another 2yrs.

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Bleedblackanwhite 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:52 pm

How any true Collingwood supporter can say " up yours collingwood " is beyond me.
I literally bleed black an white and could never EVER say that about the club.
And no I'm not trying to shutdown your right to have your say just mearly pointing out that I think it's disgraceful.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:58 pm

I opted for the third option which I see is the majority vote so far.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:16 pm

The differing opinions are what's to be expected given the circumstances.
Playing devils advocate for a minute I'll propose this.

Under Buckley our worst season has been 9 wins. If this turns out to be our "bottom out" moment then has it really been that bad ?
We were never truly consistently uncompetitive under Buckley which is probably a sign our list has been fair at all times but with obvious gaps.
The rebuild Eddie spoke of today he said started 2013 given the way the draft has been comprimsed have we actually exceeded with not actually finishing battling for a wooden spoon ?
It appears Eddie and the board believe they have accountability in not providing the coach with the right personal in the right roles to help facilitate success and if this is the case (and that's debatable as well) then they must now ensure they do give him every possible assistance to be the best coach he can be.
Also I think Buckley has actually grown as a man manager during his time and I wouldn't have expected anything less of a man who's life has been about being the best he can be.
Not even his harshest critic could question his love of the club. Having someone who cares so much about the club can't be a bad thing.
So going forward we need to see a few things happen
1. Eddie and Walsh must find a person who isn't a threat to the coach but can offer him solid and direct advice.
2. Buckley must be able to trust this advice and be man enough to take it on board and adapt or change his mind be it on a player, selection, role or during the game make changes for the best chance of success
3. Our drafting trading from here on in must be based on filling the gaps we have on the list. If we believe we have enough pieces in place to be a finals contender in 2018 then our decisions need to be based on how do we go from a finals contender to a premiership contender.
If this means giving away a perceived favourite player or someone we as supporters wouldn't offer up to trade then so be it.

Collingwood as Eddie stated today must be about being better. We have had a period sustained ups and downs these aren't what's needed to be a successful club.
From the president down to the lady or man who mix the Powerade we must improve at every level.
The President, Board, CEO, coach, assistants, players, fitness staff and allmother staff now (apparently) have a blue print in the form of the review to base decisions on going forward.
There can't be any further excuses or false starts.
For mine and it's only my opinion Eddie has hitched his tenure as president to this extension and the results that it provides.
I wish all those in the positions at the club nothing but the best because we as supporters want success and now we as supporters will be expecting this success to come
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:21 pm

Scott Burns sent to Hawthorn as the insurance policy. If Bucks doesn't work out SSB will have a 2 year apprenticeship with Clarkson.
E 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:22 pm

Cam wrote:
Name a club that would have resigned him? I can only think of Richmond. But I have no option now but to hope again. So I will. Go Pies!

Richmond stood by their coach when their flacid supporters blamed him for their poor performances. He looks like a pretty good coach this year. Top 4 with a side none of us believe is as good as the other members of the top 6!!!1 that is good coaching to me.'

Would love to replicate the richmond you mock in your post next year.

Think we can.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16   

Jump to: