Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mighty Magpie's Offseason Trade and List Management Blog

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-20/longkicking-magpie-signs-on-until-2019

I'm a bit surprised especially with the 2 years.

Makes Blair's chances of staying on the list less than 50/50 I reckon.

BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:02 pm

I'm more surprised he's described as long kicking. Hope the kid keeps developing has show some signs for a pick 65
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:31 pm

BBHS wrote:
I'm more surprised he's described as long kicking. Hope the kid keeps developing has show some signs for a pick 65

Crocker, Maynard, Howe, Dunn, Elliot, Fasolo and Aish can all kick goals from the 50m arc which is more than Pendlebury, Treloar, Sidebottom, Thomas and Blair can do.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:34 pm

Why specifically do you hope for the kid keeps developing has show some signs for a pick 65[quote] Crocker Maynard Howe Dunn Elliot Fasolo and Aish can all kick goals from the 50m arc which is more than Pendlebury Treloar Sidebottom Thomas and Blair can do?
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:28 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
A few musings ...

What are the major moving (and not moving) parts likely to affect us this trade period?

Tom Lynch stays put at GCS [50/50] (contracted for 2018 and then an RFA).

Bryce Gibbs (CAR) to ADE [likely]

consequences ...

ADE will look to use a Lever deal to provide currency, eg Lever (ADE) to MEL for pick 10 and 27 or combo of first and second round from this year and next. Lever to MEL sounds likely.

CAR will look to replace Gibbs with RFA Rockliff. Brisbane likely to not match if they get a comp pick behind their first rounder (ie, #2 which would push us from #6 to #7) per Jonathan Brown On the Couch and I suspect they would even not match with an end of first round comp pick.

Jackson Trengrove to WBD sounds likely unfortunately.

If Lynch and Lever end up out of reach then we may be left with picking over the GCS carcass and looking for other possible "value" acquisitions whilst preserving our pick 6 to use in the draft, eg

Trent McKenzie (GCS)
Corey Maynard (MEL)
Devon Smith (GWS)
Jack Watts (MEL)
Harley Balic (FRE)
Lachlan Hansen (delisted FA ex NM) backup KPD
Keegan Brooksby (delisted FA ex GCS) backup ruck/KPF/KPD
Jarrod Harbrow? no from me
Stewart Crameri? no from me
Stefan Martin? no from me

BRI may end up with #1, #2 (Rockliff) and #15 (Schache) so there may be some scope to deal players (especially Queensland players) to BRI and also GCS for picks with draft ... I'm thinking fringe 22 guys like Oxley, Keeffe, Thomas, Smith.

Similarly with ADE and PTE ... decisions will need to be made on Aish and Broomhead as to whether they will reach their potential or we are better off trading for something now.

If Lever goes elsewhere, then I agree it might be the right time to just keep pick six and trust the recruiting team to get it right.
If that happens to be ( another ) midfielder who goes on to play 200 games, I would prefer that ahead of a KPP who struggles to put 100 games together over a 10 year career.
If Fasolo is on the move and Blair is on the outer, then I would still like to go after Devon Smith. I guess if the Cats can't get to Stringer, then Smith may be back within their reach. We just don't apply enough pressure in our own forward line and Smith will make a difference. We would probably have to trade into a very early second rounder to get that done.

Also, having seen a fair bit of Aliir Aliir last year and Jack Leslie this year, I would hope the club is at least considering one of them.
I like these guys because they have played good footy at times and are both still young. They both have upside and it would only take one injury to one of our taller defenders and they would be straight in as replacements ( unless they were already in the team in the first place )
I guess both would warrant a pick in the late twenties, early thirties but that deal isn't hard to manufacture.
We need hungry young men who want to be better, not more free agents who have just signed their last contract and have little more to prove to anyone. I know they don't cost a trade but in this world you generally have to give up something to get something back.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:04 pm

JUST IN | @WestCoastEagles have confirmed the re-signing of veterans Mark LeCras and Eric Mackenzie to new one-year deals.

Faz to WCE rumours were based on replacing LeCras I think.

Mackenzie would have been a possible KPD.

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:46 am

roxymeg wrote:
Sorry to say so, but with the list that we have got there is no way we could make the eight. We would need to make some really good trades to reverse this, and we have not done this over the past years.
One aspect that stands out to me is that we do not have "hard players". Here I am not saying that our players are not hard at it. But most teams have a couple of the type that I am talking about. These are players that damage opposition.
Just my thoughts.

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion Roxymeg!
It just happens to be the exact opposite of right!

First, we have easily the best list, by a long way, we saw it many times this year, but their coaches just changed tack & ours couldn’t follow. Look at Adel. Melb, GWS games.
If we won all the games we were winning in at least the third q, we would've FINISHED ON TOP, 3 GAMES CLEAR of Adelaide! We were the ONLY side to not get beaten by 40 points all season, we were never dominated. the Essendon games, the first Port games & the Carlton game were our worst, I promise you, if we had the best confidence in the game we wouldn’t just be competitive, we'd be a level above the best sides.
(yeah, if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, that’s not the point)

We just don't have a tactician in the box on game day, so when we get out in front they just change tack, (style, player movement, etc) & we got nothing except the incredible G&D of our guys. Sometimes it worked, we were utter crap in the 2nd half rd 23 against the Dees, kicked 2 goals after the 10 min mark of the third, but defended like bloody lions, even while the Dees got to within 8 points, & our guys got us over the line.

Our kids are the best in the game. From Darcy & Maynard to Daics & Cal Brown, (& wait til u see Nick Daicos & Cal Brown's bro). We also have the BEST 4 marks in the game! Howe, Elliot, Grundy & Darcy are incredible, as are Faz & WHE. Get a few more developed (Cox is improving, Shade could be awesome), and you have the makings of a whole new game style.
We could win the 2018 flag without a single change! But we're getting a pick 6 or good trade, and the evenness of the comp is ripe for ONE side to utterly dominate & not just win, but push the "Machine"
All we have to do is...

=================================
1/ STOP the LYING! the bullshit is getting SO deep we need gumboots at the Westpac. A dishonest dictator will NEVER win a flag, I can guarantee that. Since 2013 the culture has been toxic, Bucky is lord, bow to him, Ed says so. It started at the infamous 2013 Copeland (they thought about giving it to Buckley!), when they laid down the law, and turned the place into a soulless, heartless concentration camp. Tone it down! Put the fun back into the game or we might as well not bother in 2018. We will get nothing but a top draft pick.

2/ Get a tactician in the box next to Bucky on gameday. Stuff his ego, he IS the worst gameday coach in the game, no ifs or buts. Fail to do this and I guarantee we will miss finals again. I am happy to admit the player dev has improved since 2014, we are VERY good at bringing kids thru & getting the best from imports. Greeny, Howe, and Dunne were brilliant this year, we even got one near perfect game from Wellsy. The result is more competition for spots. We have unique kids like Kirby, Wills & Croc, but it has to not be so obvious who the coaches favourites are! We CAN win with Buckley, but NOT without changes.

3/ Address the AFL & its crap, and support the players. The umpiring, the draw, and the MRP are a joke. Stand up for our guys! Risk a bloody fine! We just need an even playing field. No advantage required, just educate the umpires about their own cultural bias, or we'll continue to see games with 2 sets of rules. The draw is idiotic, every year we get a draw completely out of line with our place. We ended '16 12th, yet we got WB, Ri, Ge, Haw, Syd, etc in our first 9. They say the ladder don't change much after Rd 6, yet we played both GF sides & 2 prelim sides by Rd. 6!
Why should we start each season behind the 8 ball?

Just DO these things, have faith in our list, in case you missed it, they are not just competitive, at our best we are a LEVEL ABOVE every side in the league. take a GOOD look at our boys, watch some games, you might get a shock. tip: watch the first Q of Rd. 3 against Sydney. It was the best quarter anyone played all year. We ONLY need

CONFIDENCE!!!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:36 am

For those interested in Devon Smith and adding him to our forward line to provide defensive pressure; one of the rumoured reasons for him wishing to leave GWS is that he wants more midfield opportunity... so it may be that he's not looking to remain a small forward.
roxymeg 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Thank you for the reply 35forever. Thought that my first post was going to be ignored.
Just cannot agree with you about the list. Those games that we lost and that you said we should have won have to be the result of skill and application from some of our players. OK, agree with you re the coaching, but we have another 2 years at least of the same thing. I cannot agree that the coach will let someone else take over on game day, or even if he will accept or take notice of a mentorer.
The resigning of Crocker is disappointing - has not shown anywhere near enough when given the chance.
As far as our forwards go generally, it is their lack of defensive skills/application that lets us down a lot.
Finally, I do look at all of the games- either at the grounds or on TV.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:35 pm

What about Andy Otten (FA) to fill a KP gap?

Derm just suggested it on AFL League Teams.

Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:17 pm

IMO recruiting a KPP (unless we can get Tom Lynch) is no longer our most urgent need. A more pressing requirement in order for us to make a decent jump up the ladder next year would be a high quality small forward similar to Devon Smith. I think the Pies are the worst team in the comp when it comes to locking the ball inside our f50. We need to fix this ASAP.

With Grundy and Cox likely rotating through FF will allow Reid to go back to CHB. Lever not required.

I'd like us to take Jarrod Brander at the draft with pick 6 as a future replacement of Reid and try to manufacture trades of our non-essential players to facilitate the Devon Smith trade. Possibly Fasolo? IMO Fasolo and Elliott play a similar role, we instead need a front and centre player with good leg speed and high tackling pressure. Smith was a late first round pick for GWS and is not currently in their best 22 so an early to mid second round pick would likely get it done.

As another poster pointed out apparently Smith is also seeking some midfield time which we could accommodate, however bulk of his game time would be forward.

John LEWIN 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:24 am

Important to retain players as well as acquire them!!!!!!

"Lesser light Paul Seedsman had one of his best games in Crows colours and his role after the Sloane-Dangerfield hit was important. The former Magpie was the first to the footy as Selwood couldn't handle the ball cleanly. He took possession and dished off to Jake Kelly who spotted up Richard Douglas on the wing. The Crows' momentum was momentarily halted, but a clever kick from a patient Matt Crouch found Douglas in a pocket of space further down the wing. The footy eventually found its way down to Adelaide's half-forward flank and into the hands of Eddie Betts. Seedsman burst into the picture, running past at least four Geelong players to receive the ball from Betts. The dashing wingman drove the ball to an unguarded Otten who marked in front of a lunging Zach Tuohy. Seedsman's effort to work hard for his teammates from defensive 50 into his own attacking half summed up Adelaide's team-first mindset on Friday night."

John LEWIN 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:30 am

Allir Allir, should be considered. Heaps pf potential a great athlete young and getable you would think. There is immediate upside in providing flexibility viz a viz Reid both in positioning and management to keep him on the ground and in the mix. Thus, talent, depth, defensive back up, potential long term possibility, and leverage of one of our best players who is fragile, both as coverage for injury and opening available structural options for game day.

Use 6 to recruit. We are not going to overtake Adelaide, GWS or Richmond in 2018 and frankly I don't care if we make "the finals", what a false dawn all that thinking is! The real question is always; are we moving towards contention for the GF? That is all about the trajectory, which means until you are within the last 15 minutes of Mick's clock you don't acquire players with 1/2 good seasons left in them. My target is 2020.

ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:54 pm

Id like Alir Alir.

Appears to have trouble being a professional athlete though.
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:09 am

Some posters have short memories, Seedsman always had the ability, I remember him having a blinder on an Anzac Day winning the medal. Trouble was those games were few and far between. IMO Collingwood did the right thing in moving him on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 8 of 16   

Jump to: